Any regrets about going into radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.D-man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have any regrets about choosing radiology? Anything you should have considered or got blindsided with?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.D-man said:
Do any of you have any regrets about choosing radiology? Anything you should have considered or got blindsided with?

i'm doing a preliminary surgery internship at a program that is nowhere near malignant and i thank God everyday I chose radiology...

Dr.D-man said:

Radiology call is brutal, but its just once a week. The daily volume can be overwhelming, and having to deal with several things all at once can be frustrating. These are things I had not expected prior to starting residency.

However thus far PGY3, I still love radiology :D and have NO regrets thus far. I can't think of a field I would enjoy more.

Hans

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never seen a happier group of docs than Rads... enuff said

Factoid,

Why did you decide to do a surg internship? Just curious. Are you thinking of interventional rads?

radiology is sweet, just realize you have to read and study a lot more than other residents. So I think if you want to be a good radiologist, you should be reading 1-2 hours a day. When you work 7-5 or 6, realize that you will be working a lot more.

Medical School: worst decision of my life

Radiology: Best decision of my life.

banner said:
Medical School: worst decision of my life

Radiology: Best decision of my life.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'd be SOL if it weren't for radiology.

I am a pre med undergrad at the moment, and I obviously would like to go to med school, but I am uncertain what specialty I would choose.

So just curious, why does everyone LOVE rads so much? How is the pay/hours compared to other specialties?

And forgive me for asking this naive question (not sure if it is), but by being a radiologist, and using x rays, etc daily, is there a health risk involved in being around this all the time?

(and what specifically does a diagnostic rad do?)

Chris127 said:
So just curious, why does everyone LOVE rads so much? How is the pay/hours compared to other specialties?

And forgive me for asking this naive question (not sure if it is), but by being a radiologist, and using x rays, etc daily, is there a health risk involved in being around this all the time?

(and what specifically does a diagnostic rad do?)

If you are a premed, I'm sure you are smart and resourceful. Did you try a site search or google it first?

http://www.aamc.org/students/cim/pub_radiology.htm

When you are medical student, resident, or even an attending you won't always have the answers. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, but you should at least know at where to look to find the answers.

Get into a good habit of trying to find out as much as you can on your own before you ask.

Once you are done with med school and residency your lecturers won't be around to answer your questions. YOU have to take the initiative keep up with the most recent developments in your field so that you can practice the best medicine possible.

Good luck!

The vast majority of people in radiology are happy with their choice. However, that doesn't mean there aren't those who at some level regret leaving clinical medicine to one degree or another. I know some residents that really miss patient contact. I think you really need to assess your own desire to see patients and how important the direct feedback from patients is to your job satisfaction. For most in radiology, it doesn't bother them that no patient thanks them for their diagnosis. They are content in knowing that they have helped figure out what is going on with the patient so that the clinicians can do their jobs. If you feel that this direct contact is one of the main things that you like about medicine, radiology may not be for you.