cameroncarter

7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I'm an MS4 applying for PM&R this season and am highly interested in pursuing an academic/research career. Can anyone offer any advice for choosing programs based on these interests?

For those who don't know, the pre-application phase starts in PGY2/3.

CheruiyotOfFire

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2011
NYC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the biggest keys are having a broad base of experience during residency and a program which has potential research mentors. Some programs have stronger histories and more familiarity with getting pre-applicants selected and successfully attaining RMSTP funding (which has recently become significantly more difficult). However, I don't think coming from a program without as much RMSTP history is necessarily a disadvantage, so long as you have adequate support to pursue your academic interests during residency.

Linecom

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello. I am also planning to pursue the RMSTP. I have matched into a PM&R residency program that has not yet had any graduates enter the RMSTP, but I am a non-traditional applicant with 5 years of postgraduate research training and an extensive list of peer-reviewed publications. Moreover I have research mentors at the same institution of my residency who are from a different department. Some may say that I already have enough research training and may not need the RMSTP, but I think there are several ways the program would be important for my career, including the support for a masters degree in some advanced epidimiological and statistical methods that I dont' have as much experience in. If it's ok with the OP, I think this would be a great thread for residents who are interested in the program and junior faculty who are in the program to share insights on the process and its utility.

OP
C

cameroncarter

7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hello. I am also planning to pursue the RMSTP. I have matched into a PM&R residency program that has not yet had any graduates enter the RMSTP, but I am a non-traditional applicant with 5 years of postgraduate research training and an extensive list of peer-reviewed publications. Moreover I have research mentors at the same institution of my residency who are from a different department. Some may say that I already have enough research training and may not need the RMSTP, but I think there are several ways the program would be important for my career, including the support for a masters degree in some advanced epidimiological and statistical methods that I dont' have as much experience in. If it's ok with the OP, I think this would be a great thread for residents who are interested in the program and junior faculty who are in the program to share insights on the process and its utility.
Sounds good!

DoctorPar

5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm interested in the program, although I've heard whispers of it disappearing due to lack of funding.

rehabresident16

2+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2016
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Funding is gone, is my understanding. The program still exists in the sense of mentorship and workshops at AAP, but that starter grant is no longer a thing.