Any schools that don't require GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MixedPracticeJunkie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any accredited vet schools that don't require the GRE? I was going to wait another year to apply, but I'm second guessing myself and want to apply now. However, I don't have adequate time to prepare for the GRE and don't want to take it and bomb it in case schools I apply to in the future don't super-score.

Members don't see this ad.

When looking at veterinary schools to apply to, you really shouldn't consider if they do or do not require the GRE as a deciding factor. Really, you should make cost of attendance your number one factor. Take into account tuition, cost of living, cost of travel, etc. Unless you are independently wealthy, in which case, can I borrow some money?

But, seriously, make cost of attendance your number one deciding factor, even if it means having to wait a year to apply. Your bank account will thank you in 5-6 years. And again in 10-20 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any accredited vet schools that don't require the GRE? I was going to wait another year to apply, but I'm second guessing myself and want to apply now. However, I don't have adequate time to prepare for the GRE and don't want to take it and bomb it in case schools I apply to in the future don't super-score.

I studied for a month and took it. At the end of the day its just a standardized test. The material is that of high school.

Hey guys! I have never been good at standardized tests, so my scores weren’t all that great. However, I have a high gpa of around 3.8. My question is, are there any vet schools that maybe only slightly acknowledge GRE scores but look mostly to extra-curricular/gpa? I know Purdue, VT, and MSU don’t look at GRE at all so I will definitely be applying there. Just looking for around one more to apply to.
Thanks all!

Hey guys! I have never been good at standardized tests, so my scores weren’t all that great. However, I have a high gpa of around 3.8. My question is, are there any vet schools that maybe only slightly acknowledge GRE scores but look mostly to extra-curricular/gpa? I know Purdue, VT, and MSU don’t look at GRE at all so I will definitely be applying there. Just looking for around one more to apply to.
Thanks all!
Look at Ohio st. They may not look at it anymore starting this year!

When I interviewed at Midwestern, they told me that they barely looked at them this year. And they said next application cycle they won't be considering GRE scores at all.

MSU no longer requires the GRE to be taken

Thanks all!
FYI though MSU doesn’t look at the gre anymore, they ALSO don’t look at gpa beyond making sure you meet their minimum requirement, so having a high gpa doesn’t help you get an interview or an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all!
Mizzou only counts the GRE as 4% of their score!

UIUC once you pass the minimum you're golden! And I passed the minimum so you'll be fine ;)

I went to a talk held by the person who runs the VMCAS and he said that next cycle most schools are going to probably drop the GRE. It's not official that that will for sure happen, but he made it sound like most schools were really moving away from it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a talk held by the person who runs the VMCAS and he said that next cycle most schools are going to probably drop the GRE. It's not official that that will for sure happen, but he made it sound like most schools were really moving away from it!

Good it's a garbage test anyway

Reactions: 2 users
FYI though MSU doesn’t look at the gre anymore, they ALSO don’t look at gpa beyond making sure you meet their minimum requirement, so having a high gpa doesn’t help you get an interview or an acceptance.
Am I misunderstanding this or does MSU not care what your GPA is as long as it meets their minimum? Seems weird?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Am I misunderstanding this or does MSU not care what your GPA is as long as it meets their minimum? Seems weird?

Correct. As long as the ones they look at are above a 3.0 (I think just last 36 and prereq gpa) they don’t look at it. Illinois is the same way. As long as you meet the minimum they don’t care. It’s not factored into admissions decisions for either school.
MSU cares more about your experiences and your interview than who tests best *shrugs*

Correct. As long as the ones they look at are above a 3.0 (I think just last 36 and prereq gpa) they don’t look at it. Illinois is the same way. As long as you meet the minimum they don’t care. It’s not factored into admissions decisions for either school.
MSU cares more about your experiences and your interview than who tests best *shrugs*
I wholeheartedly agree with that approach to evaluating applications, I just didn't realize any of the schools did that. Welp. Thanks.

“Excuse me, Doctor. Before I allow you to treat my animal, I must know: what were your GRE scores?”

- said no one. Ever.

Reactions: 5 users

I wish I had known that when I first started applying to vet schools. My GPA was on the low end and my GRE scores were not that great, but I had a ton of hours and diversity of experiences which I didn't realize MSU factored that heavily.

I wish I had known that when I first started applying to vet schools. My GPA was on the low end and my GRE scores were not that great, but I had a ton of hours and diversity of experiences which I didn't realize MSU factored that heavily.
I see that you're in '22, congrats!

So that change of not requiring the GRE and only needing a 3.0 was new for this application cycle.

I see that you're in '22, congrats!

So that change of not requiring the GRE and only needing a 3.0 was new for this application cycle.
I feel like that's quite a radical change, but for the better, imo. Schools should be evaluating more holistically and I hope more of them follow suit. Like @Aqua_girl87 my GPA and test scores aren't phenomenal (doesn't necessarily make us bad students ), but my experience is both broad and in-depth.

MSU just started not factoring in grades and GRE this year I believe. Last year they were still using their SIS score system.

MSU just started not factoring in grades and GRE this year I believe. Last year they were still using their SIS score system.

Way to not read what I wrote

“Excuse me, Doctor. Before I allow you to treat my animal, I must know: what were your GRE scores?”

- said no one. Ever.

This is one of the first questions I ask any potential new veterinarian for my dogs, along with their GPA and class rank.

Is that... is that not how you find the best vet?

Reactions: 2 users
So if schools do away with the GRE this won't be helpful for you, but when I was looking at places to apply I made a spreadsheet to compare the schools and their requirements (yes, I am aware that I'm a nerd ;)). I've since shared it with people at my school who will be applying for vet school which is why there's "extra" information at the bottom. Hopefully this helps! Screenshot 2018-03-04 19.31.07.png Screenshot 2018-03-04 19.31.29.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-03-04 19.31.07.png
    Screenshot 2018-03-04 19.31.07.png
    359.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot 2018-03-04 19.31.29.png
    Screenshot 2018-03-04 19.31.29.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 147
So if schools do away with the GRE this won't be helpful for you, but when I was looking at places to apply I made a spreadsheet to compare the schools and their requirements (yes, I am aware that I'm a nerd ;)). I've since shared it with people at my school who will be applying for vet school which is why there's "extra" information at the bottom. Hopefully this helps!View attachment 230094 View attachment 230095

I'm curious where you found the GRE and GPA stats for cornell? I've looked for them before and never have been able to find them.

I'm curious where you found the GRE and GPA stats for cornell? I've looked for them before and never have been able to find them.
I couldn't find them either so I found it from a different website so I'm not sure how accurate they are. I feel like Cornell would have a higher average GRE score than what I found..

The AAVMC site shows that for Cornell's class of 2021 the Quant score is 73% or approx 159 and the Verbal score is 84% or approx 159 for a total of 318.

Thanks all!
Definitely look into ohio state! I got in and I am NOT a good test taker (I’m too slow of a reader lol).

I just read on Ohio State's website that they do not require the GRE, starting from the 2023 application cycle. I know people here on SDN have discussed this being a new trend, since Virginia Maryland, Michigan and Purdue have not been requiring the GRE either. Has anyone heard rumors regarding other schools?

So they base it more on experience and such?

So they base it more on experience and such?
Yeah and your mmi interview. They have their own weird evaluating system with categories and they rate you based on your experiences and that’s how they offer interviews and then admissions offers are a combination of that score and your mmi, afaik.

Definitely look into ohio state! I got in and I am NOT a good test taker (I’m too slow of a reader lol).

According to Ohio State's website, they don't require the GRE anymore beginning this upcoming application cycle. I heard a rumor they didn't even take GRE scores into account for this previous cycle either.

VMRCVM doesnt look at the GRE at all

Does it look like most schools are not requiring the GRE anymore?

Does it look like most schools are not requiring the GRE anymore?
Best to check with the individual schools themselves. They would have the most correct information about their admissions processes and if you call, they may be able to tell you if their website doesn’t say it yet.

I was told today by a 2017 DVM graduate from Mississippi State...she is also one of the ones who does the interviewing...that they will not be requiring the GRE anymore