Any serious musicians out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone semi-pro or pro musicians out there permanently attached to their instrument? I am a violinist in my city symphony and a bit disheartened by the fact I'll have to hang up the bow more often next year...although I hear of these alleged amateur "physician orchestras" at various schools. I think Jefferson has one. Do you guys know of others?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, i am a semi-pro musician. I was named top 30 pianist in my state and would love to start an orchestra! I traveled all over Cali not long ago, searching for competitions.

I'm a professional opera singer. It can work. Currently I juggle a part-time job, opera rehearsals, research and a full 18 credits worth of undergraduate classes. One of my mentors is an academic clinician in a major medical school hospital who happens to sing opera professionally also. While she's tethered to her beeper, her honesty with the directors has allowed her to be an excellent physician AND continue to pursue her love of singing. You may not be able to be the concert master of a major orchestra, but if you truly love playing your violin, you can make it work. Another option is to go the chamber music route. Good luck to you and feel free to pm me if you ever want to talk about the difficulties and delights of pursuing medicine and music.
:)