Retaking a 515 MCAT (serious)? International Applicant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiddleEMed

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just a pre-face: I know that a 515 (90%ile) is a great score. I know under most circumstances it would be a little silly to re-take.

However, I am an international applicant (non-green card holder). From the amazing words of @gyngyn I've seen before on other threads, I purchased an MSAR subscription and created a master excel file of all schools that 1) accept international applicants and 2) admit >= 3 each year.

By getting a 515, I've essentially cut the amount of eligible schools I realistically can apply to in half. For a lot of the schools that accept internationals and offer any kind of FA, my MCAT is under the 10th percentile of matriculants :(

My AAMC practice score average was just under 518. This was my first time taking the MCAT, and it was a major struggle as I graduated undergrad in 2020 and it was the first real exam I took since 2019.

What would people suggest? If I was a US national applicant I'd be very content with 515, but I'm really uncomfortable being international and having my options significantly more limited...

Just in case it matters - 3.75 cGPA/ 3.75 sGPA. Top 5 undergrad (Ivy), ~400 hours clinical volunteering, ~500 hours non-clinical volunteering (food banks, LGBTQ+ activism), 3+ years research but sadly no pubs, no shadowing as of yet, but will have at least 50 hours before June 2024 (when I plan to submit)

Thank you SO MUCH for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Q: Who retakes a 515?
A: (from a T20 adcom member): Someone who wants to go here!

Retake. Given your circumstances, it is understandable. just don't fall below 515 or you are sunk!

Reactions: 4 users
International student applying with a 515 this cycle! So far 5 interviews but n=1.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Intl student with 515 and 6 interviews, half are MD/ph.D. from top notch programs I did not know I had a shot at. Just write your app to reflect who you are and who you wish to be. Your authenticity will shine through I think

Reactions: 3 users
Q: Who retakes a 515?
A: (from a T20 adcom member): Someone who wants to go here!

Retake. Given your circumstances, it is understandable. just don't fall below 515 or you are sunk!
Thank you so much! Does a marginal increase hurt? Say I retake my 515 and receive a 517/518?

Remember
Many medical schools will average your MCAT attempts for screening purposes. If you can bet on yourself and get a retake score of 525 or better, you would be 3 SD's above the usual variation from repeating the MCAT (+/- 3 points). Your average would be 520, and the 525 would grab reviewers' attention.

So a practice of 518 isn't out of character with an official score of 515. Of course, my test-prep self would tell you your goal should be to get the 528.

Reactions: 1 user
I retook a 516 and boosted 8 points. I think it’s only worth retaking if you’re confident that your score increase will be really beneficial. I support retaking

It just sucks the way admissions works for international students (not trying to start a debate, just sympathizing). Normally the advice would be heck no, but it's just so hard for you guys to get in when the only schools that take ya are T20s.

Good luck my friend. My only international premed friend was literally the smartest guy I've ever met. Props to you for having the guts to go through this process.

It just sucks the way admissions works for international students (not trying to start a debate, just sympathizing). Normally the advice would be heck no, but it's just so hard for you guys to get in when the only schools that take ya are T20s.

Good luck my friend. My only international premed friend was literally the smartest guy I've ever met. Props to you for having the guts to go through this process.
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence my friend.

I mentioned in my original post that I created an excel file for all schools listed on the MSAR that interview and accept internationals (at least one - if it was less than three I'd flag them).

All schools (MD) that take us are in the T50, and over half of those are the top 20 :(

did he get into med school? just curious