Any Southpaw ENTs out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtoRes

Reaction score
Junior left-handed resident learning how to operate. I am not one of those wierdos who writes with paper at a 90-degree angle or can't do anything with the right. I prefer to suture right, swing right, do gross movements with the right. I hold bovie with left, pickups on right. Blunt dissection tool on right, DL with eft hand. Fiberoptic scope with either hand depending on room set up.

Sinus surgery has me in a funk. I've tried both and I can't tell which hand is better and holding the endoscope.

Are there any other left-handed surgeons out there and what are your preferences? Particularly for sinus. I'm afraid by Rhinology faculty may force me to go to the right as everyone else is.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a lefty. Outside of work, I do different things with different hands (throw right handed, write left handed, etc). I do most things left handed (dissect, suture). I do all sinus surgery right handed, as my attendings all set up the room with the monitor across from the bed in a right handed fashion. It was an adjustment at first, but now I don't really mind. If I do an endoscopic septoplasty at the same of sinus surgery, I do it right handed. If I do an open septoplasty, I usually do it left handed. Ear surgery is also left handed. So it's basically a bit of a cluster. I would recommend just doing whatever feels most comfortable, or just committing one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 user