Charting Outcomes 2020 - Do I need to back up apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Copied from my previous post. Charting outcomes have a 72% match rate for ENT and 80% match rate with my step score, so I don't know if I need to back up apply.
  • Stats: Step 1 : 25X
    • Step 2: 26X
  • AOA: Maybe senior, unsure
  • Clinicals: all Honors, 1 HP in Family Med
  • Preclinical: mixed bag, P in one class, High pass 2 classes, Honors in the rest
  • Letters: confident about strong letters from my department, known them for years
  • Research: 5 pubs (1 first author case report, a bunch of 2nd author)
    • Numerous posters (>15)
  • Other things: free clinic volunteering, dedicated volunteering with low-income communities throughout college and med school, Gold Humanism.
I feel like the low-tier MD school is holding back my application, along with the fact that my letter writers will mostly be from those who aren't that involved academically.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the match rate for US Allopathic M4 students with your scores? I'd be willing to wager it is much higher than 80%.

That 80% number likely includes FMGs, DOs, and re-applicants that will bring the average down. (I could easily be wrong on this though)

My answer to you is the same as it was the last time you posted- I think you are a solid applicant who is likely to match.

In my opinion, the best use of your time for the next 6 months is to work on your interview skills and your physical appearance (i.e. grooming, get teeth cleaned/whitened, new suit that fits properly, clean up your diet, hit the gym, take care of acne, etc). No one will say it out loud, but subconscious impressions matter- you may as well make the effort to be the best version of you. The side benefit is you'll automatically feel more energetic and confident.

Last edited:
What is the match rate for US Allopathic M4 students with your scores? I'd be willing to wager it is much higher than 80%.

That 80% number likely includes FMGs, DOs, and re-applicants that will bring the average down. (I could easily be wrong on this though)

My answer to you is the same as it was the last time you posted- I think you are a solid applicant who is likely to match.

In my opinion, the best use of your time for the next 6 months is to work on your interview skills and your physical appearance (i.e. grooming, get teeth cleaned/whitened, new suit that fits properly, clean up your diet, hit the gym, take care of acne, etc). No one will say it out loud, but subconscious impressions matter- you may as well make the effort to be the best version of you. The side benefit is you'll automatically feel more energetic and confident.

Unfortunately for people with my score it hovers right around 80% (I was looking specifically as US Senior MDs with around 250, which I am assuming excludes reapplicants who are in intern year positions). Overall match rate this year, including all groups, was 72%.

Unfortunately for people with my score it hovers right around 80% (I was looking specifically as US Senior MDs with around 250, which I am assuming excludes reapplicants who are in intern year positions). Overall match rate this year, including all groups, was 72%.
Based on your scores and other factors it sounds like you're in great position to match. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but with those numbers you should likely get a good number of interviews. At that point, its for you to win or screw up on game day and secure your match.