Any success with away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redsox93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school doesn’t have a home rads program so I’ve been trying to find an away, but so far everywhere has replied to me saying they aren’t taking students. And a lot of the schools on VSAS aren’t accepting applications. Has anyone actually found anywhere taking people?

Members don't see this ad.

Western Michigan @ Kalamazoo was willing to take me as an EM away when the COVID crap was happening.....and they didn't cancel on me. I canceled on them because EM applicants are being told to only do one audition this year and I'm on that right now. UPMC Pinnacle also agreed to take me for an EM away and I canceled that for the same reason. Both programs were willing to take me outside of VSAS....but I'm a special situation in that I'm in a 3 year program...2 yrs didactic, 1 clinical....so when I contacted them I couldn't go thru VSAS as I hadn't even taken Step/Level 1 yet.
I think your best bet is to fire off as many emails to clerkship directors as possible and don't be picky about geography.

It has a lot to do with your school too. If you find a place two states away for example, you may not be allowed to go there by your school. What state are you in? You can DM me if you want to retain anonymity. I’m in a similar situation applying rads without a home program. I’ll share what the programs I applied to told me and where I’ve had success.

Western Michigan @ Kalamazoo was willing to take me as an EM away when the COVID crap was happening.....and they didn't cancel on me. I canceled on them because EM applicants are being told to only do one audition this year and I'm on that right now. UPMC Pinnacle also agreed to take me for an EM away and I canceled that for the same reason. Both programs were willing to take me outside of VSAS....but I'm a special situation in that I'm in a 3 year program...2 yrs didactic, 1 clinical....so when I contacted them I couldn't go thru VSAS as I hadn't even taken Step/Level 1 yet.
I think your best bet is to fire off as many emails to clerkship directors as possible and don't be picky about geography.
I thought UPMC wasn’t taking any outside students until the fall.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It has a lot to do with your school too. If you find a place two states away for example, you may not be allowed to go there by your school. What state are you in? You can DM me if you want to retain anonymity. I’m in a similar situation applying rads without a home program. I’ll share what the programs I applied to told me and where I’ve had success.

I thought UPMC wasn’t taking any outside students until the fall.

I'm in a DO school in PA which has affiliations w/ UPMC....it was also an audition rotation and I'm in an accelerated 3-year program so I don't have a bunch of electives to buffer canceled rotations like traditional 4-year students do.
Right now I'm on the only audition/away I need for the specialty I'm looking to match in.

I'm in a DO school in PA which has affiliations w/ UPMC....it was also an audition rotation and I'm in an accelerated 3-year program so I don't have a bunch of electives to buffer canceled rotations like traditional 4-year students do.
Right now I'm on the only audition/away I need for the specialty I'm looking to match in.
Gotcha. So since there’s already an affiliation with your school you’re not an outside student. Makes sense now.

For anyone interested in EM, Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA (San Bernardino County Hospital) is accepting audition/Sub-I rotations for 4th year medical students. We are a 4 year ACGME program. Level II trauma center with high volume. Students are starting back on rotations in July 2020. We are on VSAS. Website: armcemergency.org

Anyone know if any anesthesiology programs have been accepting students for aways?

My school doesn’t have a home rads program so I’ve been trying to find an away, but so far everywhere has replied to me saying they aren’t taking students. And a lot of the schools on VSAS aren’t accepting applications. Has anyone actually found anywhere taking people?

I'm in a similar boat (applying DR, no home rads program, no luck with VSAS.) I had DR & IR rotations scheduled at a program near my school, but it was only because I made a good impression on the scheduling lady way back in December and she told me she'd help me out come 4rth year. COVID ended up cancelling my DR rotation, and I'm left with my IR rotation and that's it. I don't want to do IR, I don't know much about IR, but I somehow need to get my one Rads LOR from that rotation.

I only have 4 apps left on VSAS. 2 are to a program I spent 4 years at un undergrad, but I applied 2 weeks late (wasn't going to apply for an away originally because I had confirmed DR & IR rotations) and the other 2 apps have been sitting for months now.

So anyways, I feel your rads-related pain.

UPDATE (07/07/20): I stopped being so picky about specific locations I wanted to match & tossed 23 more applications out there yesterday. Got an offer today from a university-associated hospital in my home state (I think that connection may have helped? Not sure...)

So I guess for anybody else struggling to snag a rotation in their specialty (b/c of COVID), maybe be willing to apply a little more broadly for away rotations. Even if you don't end up wanting to match there, it's at least an opportunity to snag a LOR you need and learn things in the field you're actually interested in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users