any suggestions on studying for the perceptual ability section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highfly413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i'm ryan richard. i'm from ocala, fl and i'm a junior at Furman University in SC. i'm getting ready to start studying for my DATs...and i'm kinda worried about the perceptual ability section. anybody have any tips on improving in that area?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan's perceptual ability practice exams on paper and computer was very helpful. The computer practice sessions help you to visualize the objects 3-D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice, practice, practice. When you do the top-front-end view count the vertical and the horizontal lines. Sometimes it help eliminate some of the wrong answers. When I do the easy questions first eg angle ranking, cube counting, and hole punching. I usually score higher because, when I guess on the answer, I'll be guessing on the tough questions. Instead of spending all my time on the tough question, then I might not have enough time left to finish the easy questions, thereby making a guess on the easy questions. In other words do the easy questions FIRST, and do the hard questions LAST. Good luck, let me know if this helped.

I would say practice....there are diff methods for the cubes, such as counting all the blocks first and "mentally" labeling each one....the angles I do with my first impression/look....the keyholes and top/end/front take awhile for me, so I need to keep practicing them.

My advice is to get my hands on as many practice tests and special books as I could. It will probably pay off in the long run, and you can always sell them later. When I interviewed at one school, I went into their book store to look around. They had tons of test preps for the DAT! I got three books solely about the PAT. They really helped.