any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mica45

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
so this is my story: I always had a dream of becoming a doctor and always worked hard for it. Yesterday, my doctor told me it's not a good idea for me to become a doctor and I must be in a less stressful environment otherwise I won't even be able to walk in the next few years. (I have fibromyalgia and it's getting worse every day because of stress). I was planning to take the Mcat in August but now I don't know what am I supposed to do? I don't see myself working in an office or become an engineer. I really want to work in a health-related environment. I was thinking about pharmacy but everyone tells me it's so saturated and I won't be able to find a job after I graduate. Do you guys have any suggestions? I moved to the US a few years ago and I am pretty sure there are so many occupations that I am not even aware of them.
Just a side note: I am majoring in psychology and my GPA is 4.00.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would listen to your doctor's advice because applying to medical is already stressful, but surviving medical school will be even harder. My mother's a pharmacist in a big city, and she doesn't think it's hard to find a pharmacist job. Another option with a degree in psychology would be mental health counseling since it's high in demand and possible to work your way up the ladder to a higher salary position. Never sacrifice your health for a dream, unless you're dead-serious. My friend who was M2 in Wash U wasn't happy about his life, so he quit and moved to Africa to pursue his solar panel company. Be open-minded because you have plenty of time to figure out your future career.

Hi guys
so this is my story: I always had a dream of becoming a doctor and always worked hard for it. Yesterday, my doctor told me it's not a good idea for me to become a doctor and I must be in a less stressful environment otherwise I won't even be able to walk in the next few years. (I have fibromyalgia and it's getting worse every day because of stress). I was planning to take the Mcat in August but now I don't know what am I supposed to do? I don't see myself working in an office or become an engineer. I really want to work in a health-related environment. I was thinking about pharmacy but everyone tells me it's so saturated and I won't be able to find a job after I graduate. Do you guys have any suggestions? I moved to the US a few years ago and I am pretty sure there are so many occupations that I am not even aware of them.
Just a side note: I am majoring in psychology and my GPA is 4.00.

Before you give up on your dream, may I advise you to reach out to actual medical students and maybe also medical schools themselves to get an idea of how it really is and what is possible. Lots of people who need to keep stress levels down are able to do it with preparation, dedication, and intentionality. There is a LOT you can do to minimize unnecessary stress and keep a low-stress lifestyle even while doing something that people deem "stressful". Also, you can aim for a less competitive specialty to aid in this endeavor as well.

There is also a lot you can do to support your body in its ability to handle stress as well as replenish itself while it is going through stress that is well documented; Things like high quality and autoimmune-supporting nutritional protocols, exercise, fasting, meditation, massages, sex, high quality sleep, therapy, etc.

In the grand scheme of things being a student is actually a very low-stress, easy life if you have the right attitude and time-management skills and can keep a healthy perspective. You are not in a gulag. You are not in a sweat-shop. You have to be intentional and you have to be dedicated, but you can do it if you are willing to make the effort to remove all extraneous stressors from your life and focus solely on your health, your school, and close relationships.

It's stressful to live an inauthentic and unchallenged life too, you know ;)

All the best.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users