Any thoughts on Pitt (UPMC)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

48 hours

provider of mexcellence
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

I didn't apply to UPMC in my initial mass ERAS-ing of IM programs, but now I am starting to wonder more and more... anyone have any thoughts? insights? advice? regarding the IM program at Pitt? Or about what it's like to live in Pitt in general?

Anyway, don't know anyone from my school there and scutwork had nada suprisingly....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All-

I didn't apply to UPMC in my initial mass ERAS-ing of IM programs, but now I am starting to wonder more and more... anyone have any thoughts? insights? advice? regarding the IM program at Pitt? Or about what it's lke to live in Pitt in general?

Anyway, don't know anyone from my school there and scutwork had nada suprisingly....

compared to what some of my friends at other programs are sharing about their experiences, i have to say this is a very well balanced program. Some of the months are quite challenging, but the chiefs definitely try to do their best to balance out everyone's schedules, and yet still allow every intern (and resident) ample months for electives and consults. There seems to be a strong general emphasis of empathy to patients here which i admire--this comes more from the general attitude of attendings than from any particular aspect of the curriculum, but this seems to attract residents the overwhelming majority of whom are very compassionate and truly care about patients (and are in general genuinely nice people). Pathology wise, you will get amazing exposure to most everything, since it's a major referral center. Cases will often be complex. Lots of teaching, sometimes attending dependent, but there are efforts in place to make sure attendings on the teaching services are well liked by residents. As far as fellowship matches, residents seem to fare pretty darned well.

Oh and living is pittsburgh is really easy.

compared to what some of my friends at other programs are sharing about their experiences, i have to say this is a very well balanced program. Some of the months are quite challenging, but the chiefs definitely try to do their best to balance out everyone's schedules, and yet still allow every intern (and resident) ample months for electives and consults. There seems to be a strong general emphasis of empathy to patients here which i admire--this comes more from the general attitude of attendings than from any particular aspect of the curriculum, but this seems to attract residents the overwhelming majority of whom are very compassionate and truly care about patients (and are in general genuinely nice people). Pathology wise, you will get amazing exposure to most everything, since it's a major referral center. Cases will often be complex. Lots of teaching, sometimes attending dependent, but there are efforts in place to make sure attendings on the teaching services are well liked by residents. As far as fellowship matches, residents seem to fare pretty darned well.

Oh and living is pittsburgh is really easy.

Thanks, chicamedica!

I'm glad you are enjoying your time there. Maybe I should pony up the extra 15 bucks and add UPMC to my roster... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, chicamedica!

I'm glad you are enjoying your time there. Maybe I should pony up the extra 15 bucks and add UPMC to my roster... :rolleyes:

15 bucks?! wow ERAS is getting more expensive every year!!!

15 bucks?! wow ERAS is getting more expensive every year!!!

I think that's just because I have already applied to 25 IM programs, which is probably a ridiculous amount by any normal person's standards. :D

Hi All-

I didn't apply to UPMC in my initial mass ERAS-ing of IM programs, but now I am starting to wonder more and more... anyone have any thoughts? insights? advice? regarding the IM program at Pitt? Or about what it's like to live in Pitt in general?

I did my prelim year there and had a great experience.... very livable city, with a lot of the aspects of a big city (lots of glittering skyscrapers, big symphony orchestra, theatre) and a small town (relatively cheap living compared to boston, NYC, philly, DC, plus you can own a car).

Pitt is solid in a number of areas with regards to research and clinical aspects. The IM department faculty and staff were very nice and it seemed that although most people worked hard, they had a good time.

The program also had some nice perks--- a PDA for all incoming interns, free parking right at the medical center (BIG plus), meal tickets on call.

I think that's just because I have already applied to 25 IM programs, which is probably a ridiculous amount by any normal person's standards. :D

I wouldn't sweat it. I applied to 23, and still panicked that it wasn't enough. :D