Any thoughts on residency program at University of Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retrochiasmatic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I don't see it listed on the US News "Top 100" list and that seems surprising. Does anyone have any thoughts on the program or has anyone heard anything good or bad about it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only share what I heard from a faculty member at Washington University STL. He stated the program was EXCELLENT, has a dynamo chair, and believes that it will be highly competitive very soon.

That said, I myself do not have any first hand experience with the program.

Sorry, I should have been more specific-- I am curious about the University of Washington in Seattle. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apologize! My fault. I should have been more clear. The WashU faculty member was telling me about the University of Washington's program. He spoke very highly of it.

I did my med school at UW and can vouch for the program. The chair is amazing and has good leadership qualities and vision. He has hired many new faculty since he started there, many of whom are young and very interested in teaching. He is working on getting a 5th resident for the program which will allow for a 3rd year rotation dedicated to either research, rural surgerical experience, or international work (resident's choice).

Surgical numbers are above average. Clinical experience is excellent with an extremely diverse patient population. Pathology is varied and often advanced.

Downsides: cost of living, parking, call can be pretty brutal given the residents cover multiple hospitals and they are all pretty spread out.

It was a top 3 program for me when I applied. Dr. Van Gelder will only make the program better the longer he is there as chair.