Any thoughts on the "AOA might be bankrupt?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting article put forth by the AOS American Optometric Society. The truth might be emerging. How many AOA members have been lost this past year? From my understanding, they need to clean house get all the AOA President, board of directors out of office. I never imgined since the day I graduated from OD school, this sort of disgrace would occur.

Yup, you better believe the statement ......."we are our worse enemy........."

Disgusted with the way our leaders who are suppose to represent us are leading us.
From 16 schools to 19 and another ne about to open this summer

DISGRACE!

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting article put forth by the AOS American Optometric Society. The truth might be emerging. How many AOA members have been lost this past year? From my understanding, they need to clean house get all the AOA President, board of directors out of office. I never imgined since the day I graduated from OD school, this sort of disgrace would occur.

Yup, you better believe the statement ......."we are our worse enemy........."

Disgusted with the way our leaders who are suppose to represent us are leading us.
From 16 schools to 19 and another ne about to open this summer

DISGRACE!

ABSOLUTELY agree with the idea that we are our own worst enemies. The AOA has done great things for the profession - in the past. Today, it's being led by people who are completely out of touch with reality and need to be removed like a cancerous lesion. You've got Dori Carlson traveling all over the US to optometry schools, telling them how we're going to be facing a massive OD shortage. WHAT??? Are you kidding me? That's like a traveling salesman going to northern Alaska to tell the Inuits that they're facing a shortage of ice and snow. If I hear one more from the OD elite say that the aging baby-boomer population is going to somehow create a vacuum of OD services, I'm going to vomit. If I have to hear Dori Carlson utter the phrase "We own 3D...." ever again, my auditory system might just shut down entirely.

We absolutely are our own worst enemy. Thanks to the AOS for finally trying to bring the profession to the right course. If any ODs reading this are not already members, you should check out the site and join. Dump the AOA - tell them they've screwed up one too many times. And for any students reading this - don't give your hard-earned money to the corporate back-scratchers at the AOA. They're only succeeding in helping in the downfall of the profession you're about to enter.

Agree 100% with what you stated! The elite AOA are all politics and nothing sincere.
They brought disgrace to our wonderful profession and all need to be removed from office!
Kudos to the AOS for the remarkable job they have done to shed light to all this!

I am happy that you are a colleague of mine. These poor souls who are entering optometry school now have no idea what is about to hit them in their future endeavor w/ optometry.

Best regards!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is this article?

Even though I didn't really want to do it, I was starting to wonder if it made me look bad to not have AOA membership since I've been out of school. I didn't really want to even give them my piddly little new grad dues. Wish I could still be a member of my state association though because I like them. Kind of hard to explain to prospective employers though (if I go down that road again) why I don't maintain my membership.

Any way, sorry to go on a tangent. This is interesting....

4Eyes, I was a AOA member for almost 20 yrs until I stopped paying my memership dues last year. I quit last yr and this year. I gave them appx $30,000.00 US dollars as a long time member AOA and state association. The crap they pulled w board certification and more Optometry schools opening up is staggering. We didn't need any more schools 16 plus PR. However, they are in the business apparently to make money-that's all.

Join the AOS. There are alot of bright leaders who have the capability to steer this profession towards the right direction. AOA is useless in my eyes.
Don't feel guilty one bit!

Recently, they shut down long running Journal of AOA due to financial issues. I have read the letter from Dori Carlson. Things are not looking good when you can't even fund an academic journal for your profession. I hope Dori Carlson doesn't show up to my class when I am in school, I won't put up with her nonsense like many students do. Things will catch up to AOA eventually as more students come to their senses. This cannot continue forever.

More and more schools, lower admission standards, poor insurance reimbursements, commercial take over. List goes on and on. People who are running the profession have already made their money in 80s and 90s they cannot relate to us or have no incentive to. This profession needs a revolution, young blood that is dealing with today's problem and demands answers.

Who elected Dori Carlson? Did the ODs across the country cast a vote, who else was running for the spot??? Did ODs here vote for her? Let me guess she was appointed from within.

They will continue to ignore the main problems as long as money keeps coming. Do not give them anything and see how quickly they start asking students and ODs "What should we do to have you back" Then maybe we will get somewhere.

this might be the most juvenile question in the book, but idk the answer, so ill go ahead and ask it. if the AOA is made of our own ppl (fellow ods) then, shouldnt they be leading the profession in the right direction for their own benefit as well as ours? what is the benefit to leading the profession down the drain?

this might be the most juvenile question in the book, but idk the answer, so ill go ahead and ask it. if the AOA is made of our own ppl (fellow ods) then, shouldnt they be leading the profession in the right direction for their own benefit as well as ours? what is the benefit to leading the profession down the drain?

Good question. The AOA has done a lot of work for optometry especially the political aspect of it. Where would optometry be today if they didn't push for therapeutics?

For those folks who are complaining that they will not donate money/pay dues to the AOA until they change their 'position on board certification or oversupply, they will NOT have any money left to donate when the profession's scope is wiped out by medicine/ophthalmology. What's worse? An AOA that wants to test ODs for competency and slow to adapt to the oversupply of ODs OR no AOA at all with physician assistants/opticians/nurses start doing eye examinations. Target/Walmart/Lenscrafters will terminate all you corporate ODs leases because they don't need you anymore!!

Please don't tell me the AOS can do what the AOA can do. As much as I want the AOS to succeed, they just don't have the groundwork. Even the AOS has recommended all its members still be part of the AOA.

You get what you ask for. Countdown to the AOA's bankruptcy aka you need a new job.

When a corporation goes bankrupt in the business world it's mostly do to bad mnagement that drives the company to the ground. This all starts from the CEO, CFO and all its board of directors........
Don't start blaming previous AOA members or fingers at other events b/c the President of AOA and all its board of directors are responsible for this. Putting the blame on others is easy. Your analogy to no AOA and no jobs is crap!

I've been following the AOA for almost 20 years. They have changed their agendas alot especially in their self interest. The majority of OD's across the country never ever wanted board certification and this known to the AOA. They however, did as they pleased without any regard to the 37000 practicing OD's.

Stop making excuses and wake up!

Good question. The AOA has done a lot of work for optometry especially the political aspect of it. Where would optometry be today if they didn't push for therapeutics?

You have a valid point in mentioning that the AOA has helped optometry's mission in the past. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. The problem is not a lack of recognition for what they have done, it's the strong opposition by most ODs to what the AOA is doing now. The AOA leadership has steered itself, on behalf of optometry, down a road that is way off the path we should be on. The profession is becoming further and further divided. If you take the time to really investigate the problem, looking at both sides of the issue objectively, I don't see how any rational person could come to anything other than the conclusion that the AOA is backing corporate optometry. The logos plastered all over their site tell a quiet, but clear story. The AOA is padding its wallet with corporate money and they're having to scratch the backs of those who are scratching theirs. It is unreasonable to expect practicing ODs to give their hard-earned money to an organization that is not acting in their best interest. I don't want to see the AOA dissolved, I'd like to see it find new leadership - leadership that can actually steer the profession back on course. That means away from nonsense BC issues. It also means finding some legal way to curb the rampant cancerous growth of new schools and more ODs. I'm sick and tired of hearing the excuse "Well, our hands are tied due to anti-trust issues...." The AOCLE has the authority to set higher standards for optometric education - effectively squashing new programs before they could even start. Has the AOA/AOCELE done that? Nope. My money is going to the AOS until the AOA pulls their heads out of their collective arses.

What's worse? An AOA that wants to test ODs for competency and slow to adapt to the oversupply of ODs OR no AOA at all with physician assistants/opticians/nurses start doing eye examinations. Target/Walmart/Lenscrafters will terminate all you corporate ODs leases because they don't need you anymore!!

This will almost certainly never happen. Refracting opticians are far more likely to move in and take over those leases once they get refracting privilages, and they will. No PA in their right mind would take a lease at a box store since the income they will generate there will almost certainly be less than what they could make at an employed position. I'm not worried about PAs - they have much better things to do than optometry.

Please don't tell me the AOS can do what the AOA can do. As much as I want the AOS to succeed, they just don't have the groundwork. Even the AOS has recommended all its members still be part of the AOA.

My decision to join the AOS and quit the AOA is more of a protest than anything else. I agree that the AOS does not have the infrastructure that the AOA has. Perhaps the AOA will get the message when their membership is surpassed by the tiny AOS. If you just keep dumping your money into the AOA pipeline because you fear what will happen without them, you're just feeding the beast. Starve it, make it change, and maybe things will get better.

You get what you ask for. Countdown to the AOA's bankruptcy aka you need a new job.

Right now, the actions of the AOA are making harder for ODs to get hired, not easier. Everything they're doing is placing another obstacle in front of practicing ODs. When they decide to change direction, I'll be back, but not before they admit their mistakes, change leadership, and start looking out for all of us.

Haha..AOA treasurer sent an email claiming the AOS is the one that's bankrupt.