Any thoughts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vonnegut1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a bit of a dilemma. I am trying to decide between going to Trinity College Dublin and Creighton University. Both schools have their perks. Creighton is in the U.S. (which saves a lot of headaches and is a pretty good school), but TCD is an absolutely amazing school. I was just in Ireland and saw the campus (amazing) and the program seems really strong. So I guess my question to anyone who cares is what you think about this. I am really on the fence here and could use any and all advice one may have. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I am trying to decide between going to Trinity College Dublin and Creighton University. Both schools have their perks. Creighton is in the U.S. (which saves a lot of headaches and is a pretty good school), but TCD is an absolutely amazing school. I was just in Ireland and saw the campus (amazing) and the program seems really strong. So I guess my question to anyone who cares is what you think about this. I am really on the fence here and could use any and all advice one may have. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Is Trinity one of the 4-year programs, or 5-year? That might make a difference. I think it's 4, but I can't remember. Also, how much of a difference in loan amounts will there be? It would be nice to be certified to practice in the EU, but I believe you have to take another ceritifcation exam beyond the USMLE to practice in the USA if you graduate from Trinity, can't remember if they waive that or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a five year program total. I believe the loans will amount to about 120 grand more than Creighton when all is said and done (that is if the dollar is still crap.) So those are definitely factors that I am going to take into account. The thing that worries me is trying to match competitively in the U.S. (which is ultimately where I want to live.) Ahh decisions decisions...

It is a five year program total. I believe the loans will amount to about 120 grand more than Creighton when all is said and done (that is if the dollar is still crap.) So those are definitely factors that I am going to take into account. The thing that worries me is trying to match competitively in the U.S. (which is ultimately where I want to live.) Ahh decisions decisions...[/quote]

What? Are you nuts? This is a no brainer...

Creighton hands down winner here given your criteria: money matters, and you want to match competitively in the US.

So your proposal is to spend $120,000 (before interest) and an extra year of your life in order to hamstring your chances in the match. While you're at it, why not shoot out your knees, cut off a hand and gouge out an eye? Here's a piece of advice: if you go to Ireland, stay there.

Flip is right. Even if Creighton cost twice as much as Trinity, you should go there. If you have any plans to do residency in the US, it is just crazy to go to med school abroad while holding a US acceptance. The fact that Creighton will cost you less is just icing on the cake.