Any Tips for First Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yesterday a vet I've been working with told me to take a week and "look up a billion different recipes including ramen noodles." Hahaha.

On a more serious note, do any 2-4 years (or recent grads) have any tips for starting vet school? Make sure to stay on top of anatomy? Know that C = DVM, for example? Would love to hear your advice <3

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

So yesterday a vet I've been working with told me to take a week and "look up a billion different recipes including ramen noodles." Hahaha.

On a more serious note, do any 2-4 years (or recent grads) have any tips for starting vet school? Make sure to stay on top of anatomy? Know that C = DVM, for example? Would love to hear your advice <3

Thanks!!

+1 :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Use lube. Makes it easier to take.

Use lube. Makes it easier to take.

:laugh:

I second whoever said to not compare yourself to others. It's hard for me not to compare myself to those people who seem to barely study and pull out straight As and feel discouraged, but I have to remember that I'm also here for a reason. I may not have the same crazy scholastic ability that they do, but it doesn't mean I won't be a good vet. And if *you* are the crazy I-don't-study-but-make-straight-As person, don't brag. It's annoying.

As much as possible, try to maintain some sort of work/life balance. It can be hard as you're adjusting to first year vet school, but I think it's important. When you have a bit of downtime, go do something fun. Maintain a gym schedule if you like working out. Don't abandon all of your hobbies. Basically, find something outside of vet school in order to retain some sanity.

Also, get to know your classmates and find those you work well with. Maybe it's not the same for others, but I found that I could NOT study with other people in undergrad, while it's extremely beneficial for me in vet school. So if you're very anti-group, just be open to it. Bouncing ideas off of other vet students can really facilitate learning, in my experience.

:laugh:

I second whoever said to not compare yourself to others. It's hard for me not to compare myself to those people who seem to barely study and pull out straight As and feel discouraged, but I have to remember that I'm also here for a reason. I may not have the same crazy scholastic ability that they do, but it doesn't mean I won't be a good vet. And if *you* are the crazy I-don't-study-but-make-straight-As person, don't brag. It's annoying.

As much as possible, try to maintain some sort of work/life balance. It can be hard as you're adjusting to first year vet school, but I think it's important. When you have a bit of downtime, go do something fun. Maintain a gym schedule if you like working out. Don't abandon all of your hobbies. Basically, find something outside of vet school in order to retain some sanity.

Also, get to know your classmates and find those you work well with. Maybe it's not the same for others, but I found that I could NOT study with other people in undergrad, while it's extremely beneficial for me in vet school. So if you're very anti-group, just be open to it. Bouncing ideas off of other vet students can really facilitate learning, in my experience.

Great advice! :thumbup:

Thanks!!

never forget that you aren't alone! there will be times when you feel like you are the only one hating a class, not doing well, feeling burnt out, etc., but even in our relatively smaller SGU class sizes there is always 1+ people who are feeling the exact same way. you are not an isolated event, take comfort in that :)

also, make sure you take time for yourself. you need balance in your life. eat (semi) well, get enough sleep, relax, take some time to do something you enjoy every so often. balance is as critical to getting those good grades as studying. (example: my med school roommate is failing 3/4 classes right now. not because she isn't smart and didnt study, but because she gets very little sleep, eats terribly all the time, and never does anything but stress, freak out, and push herself beyond where she should).

to add to what jj said-just dont talk about grades period. you and your classmates will be much happier people if you keep them to yourself, and as long as you're all passing, it's really no one's business anyway :)

there is a huge temptation to compare yourself - huge! i don't care about grades in general but i still find myself comparing sometimes. but grades aren't at all a measure of what you know nor how good of a veterinarian you will be. so if you do fall into that trap, just realize that it is not what you should be basing your self-worth on.

I love this thread!

Jj, how big of a study group are you talking about? I always found that I have to mix it up- study alone first, then study in a VERY small group before the test.

The only reason why I did fine in anatomy was because of my awesome study group! For the embryology part and written test part I just had to hunker down and study on my own, but it helped me tremendously to go over the practical stuff in a group. We'd have the most confident person go through and point and name everything we needed to know, and that person would then point at structures and quiz the next most confident person. If they missed a couple things, they get to do the whole thing again. We'd go down the line doing that until all 4 of us could get through all of it. And even being the lazy one in the group that almost always went last because I didn't study much outside of lab time, I'd have a majority of it down by the time the probe was passed down to me. Seriously just a few sessions of a few hours each, and we'd be pretty much all set. Would have taken me muuuuch longer by myself and the vca.

For a lot of the first year stuff which is straight learning/memorization of Normal physio type concepts, I personally just needed to study on my own. But anything case based esp for things like clin path I really like doing in a group, because you can get 100% on these cases by giving the right answer (e.g. The correct diagnosis) while still missing a lot of important concepts. I feel like having even up to 5-6 people for these things is great. When you're just given pages and pages of test results, it really is nice to have multiple inputs about which changes might be artifacts, or clinically relevant, or weird manifestations of the disease at hand that you didn't even realize. It's also a great way to catch up on a first-year concept that flew over your head. It's actually important now (who woulda thunk it?) and someone will point it out. And when you're like huh? They will explain, and everyone gets a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

Thanks for starting this thread! I have a couple of first year friends who have told me they've found that even though they have adjusted from the competitive undergrad mindset to the supportive veterinary mindset, that the rest of their class hasn't. Good to remember that it's not all about perfect grades anymore!

Don't ever compare yourself to others! You'll either feel horrible, or feel like a douche later.

I know everyone has already reiterated this, but this is really THE most important thing!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this thread!

Jj, how big of a study group are you talking about? I always found that I have to mix it up- study alone first, then study in a VERY small group before the test.

It really depends on the subject. For anatomy, it was a group of 3-4, and we would take turns going through and naming everything, and then quiz each other by pointing to structures in the prosection. For case based stuff, or take home exams where you can work in groups, a little bit larger of a study group is good - like Minnerbelle suggested, 5-6 is a good group for that. You can really bounce ideas off of each other and discuss things. You may also find yourself explaining some concepts, which will help cement it in your mind.

For exams, it's just me and one or two other people. And yeah, I study a bunch on my own first, with study guides and such. And then I get together with 1-2 people and we talk through the material and quiz each other. I really find that it helps to have someone quiz me, because instead of passively reading it, I'm having to think about it.

Thanks for starting this thread! I have a couple of first year friends who have told me they've found that even though they have adjusted from the competitive undergrad mindset to the supportive veterinary mindset, that the rest of their class hasn't. Good to remember that it's not all about perfect grades anymore!

I went from studying Biology in undergrad to studying Management - RIDICULOUS culture shock! Bio was all of the Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Dental, etcetc people who never spoke to anyone; Management is ALL about working together and developing a professional network.

I really want to continue with this supportive thing in vet school. A little healthy competition is fine but loooorrrddyyyy, too much of it and I just wanna curl up in a ball somewhere.

I really want to continue with this supportive thing in vet school. A little healthy competition is fine but loooorrrddyyyy, too much of it and I just wanna curl up in a ball somewhere.

I can't speak to other schools, but I think you'll be mostly pleased. Vet school is pretty tight knit. There's some 'bad' to that, but there's a lot of 'good'. There are ultra-competitive people, but for the most part people are supportive. My class is pretty awesome at putting together class-wide study guides that get posted in our class FB page.

I went from studying Biology in undergrad to studying Management - RIDICULOUS culture shock! Bio was all of the Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Dental, etcetc people who never spoke to anyone; Management is ALL about working together and developing a professional network.

I totally agree. My background is in Bio and Classics and the environment in the two couldn't be different. I am really looking forward to the supportive/collaborative environment in vet school. The emergency and internal med vets that I work with now all work this way and it seems the best way to go. Everyone is not going to understand/pick up on everything right away and we need to put away our egos and learn in the best way we can. That way later we can practice that best medicine that we can and create the best possible outcomes for our patients and clients.
I'm glad we'll be in classes together :)

Don't ever compare yourself to others! You'll either feel horrible, or feel like a douche later.
Just this. I don't really care all that much about grades now a days as long as I pass, however it's still a bit of a jab to the ego when you see that you're below average in pretty much everything.

"Hey I did much better on that test than I thought I did, wonder what the average is?...well **** I did terrible!"

Don't be the person saying, "OMG I did soooooo bad on that test!" and then the scores come out and you made like an 85+... and you do it every exam...

It gets old.

Sorry, just an ongoing irk.

Don't be the person saying, "OMG I did soooooo bad on that test!" and then the scores come out and you made like an 85+... and you do it every exam...

It gets old.

Or the person who before every exam declares "I didn't really study" and gets an 85+ everytime. (Which is usually BS and people see right through it anyway.)

I can't speak to other schools, but I think you'll be mostly pleased. Vet school is pretty tight knit. There's some 'bad' to that, but there's a lot of 'good'. There are ultra-competitive people, but for the most part people are supportive. My class is pretty awesome at putting together class-wide study guides that get posted in our class FB page.

Agreed! Our class is really good about sending out study guides to everyone. I remember in undergrad, if someone had a study guide it was locked up tight, maximum security. Vet school is the total opposite. No one wants to see a classmate fail (at least that's how it is in my class.)

I also think it's really important to maintain some sort of hobby outside of vet school. Or at least take time for yourself. It can be really easy to get caught up in studying ALL the time, but that isn't healthy and you'll get burned out in no time. Playing Mass Effect 3 this evening is my reward for studying for Pharm all week. :laugh:

I definitely second a lot of what's on here.

Sleep!, eat healthy, keep a hobby even if you don't do it often, leave your ego behind, and don't compare. I honestly think my grades have benefited, not suffered, from taking time out to cook real food, and by going to bed at roughly the same time every night. It does result in less study time, but my study time is much more optimized and I'm not struggling with being tired all the time, or trying to study while I'm sick because I'm not taking care of myself.

I've found that the closest I get to a study group is comparing last minute notes with friends right before the exam starts, but I've always struggled to study in a group.

The only thing I would add is formulate a study plan early (as soon as the semester starts), and don't be afraid to change it if it's not working (for a particular class, or at all). Sometimes your standard study method will not work for all classes. I'm a huge fan of coming home everyday and making flash cards for all of the lecture material that day. Some people sit down every night and re-read their notes for which ever test is up next. Some people make a written study guide at some point (either as you go along, or a few days before) and study that. And some people wait until a study guide gets sent out by someone. Whatever you do, don't wait until the night before the test to decide HOW you want to study for something, or you spend the whole time organizing and not studying.

This thread has inspired me... With as many tests as we take, I'm sure it's happened to like everyone at some point or another.
meme2.png

Love the meme, Minnerbelle! It's so true :laugh:

The only thing I would add is formulate a study plan early (as soon as the semester starts), and don't be afraid to change it if it's not working (for a particular class, or at all). Sometimes your standard study method will not work for all classes.
:thumbup::thumbup: I've had to radically change my study methods for a few classes. Sometimes it takes a few exams to figure out what works, too.

My spouse is in vet school and should definitely read this thread!

Love the meme, Minnerbelle! It's so true :laugh:

:thumbup::thumbup: I've had to radically change my study methods for a few classes. Sometimes it takes a few exams to figure out what works, too.

And to occasionally top off the frustration, it can change from exam to exam if there are multiple professors teaching sections of the course.

Agreed! Our class is really good about sending out study guides to everyone. I remember in undergrad, if someone had a study guide it was locked up tight, maximum security. Vet school is the total opposite. No one wants to see a classmate fail (at least that's how it is in my class.)

My undergrad experience has been quite different from how people have described theirs on here. Study guides and other materials are happily emailed along. Don't get me wrong, most of my classes are made up of pre-professionals who are pretty competitive, so a few gunners do exist but it's not the norm. I've always felt like I've benefitted from the carmaraderie, even with students who aren't close friends.

That being said, I understand why a cooperative learning environment is beneficial in vet school as well. But we all know that the job/intern/residency market is getting more competitive. Aren't class ranks considered for some of these positions? I know stellar grades don't necessarily mean a person will make the best vet, but it is one quantitative indicator I assume would be looked at.

This is not to mention scholarships and grants, which often consider academic qualifications. I know I'd love to get my hands on a few.

Don't get me wrong. I am not disagreeing with the advice on this thread, but it doesn't seem like competition is eliminated just because we have those magical acceptance letters.

Any thoughts from the currents out there? :confused:

If your school is on a term rather than semester schedule like OVC is..study for all your tests throughout the year (even though they're only worth 5-10% each) as if you were studying for a big test. You will be so glad you did at this time of the year when you have to write exams that are worth 60-75% of your final grade and encompass an entire year's worth of material.

I have classmates that didn't do this and now they're reading over material for the first time right a couple of days before the exam, yikes!

My undergrad experience has been quite different from how people have described theirs on here. Study guides and other materials are happily emailed along. Don't get me wrong, most of my classes are made up of pre-professionals who are pretty competitive, so a few gunners do exist but it's not the norm. I've always felt like I've benefitted from the carmaraderie, even with students who aren't close friends.

That being said, I understand why a cooperative learning environment is beneficial in vet school as well. But we all know that the job/intern/residency market is getting more competitive. Aren't class ranks considered for some of these positions? I know stellar grades don't necessarily mean a person will make the best vet, but it is one quantitative indicator I assume would be looked at.

This is not to mention scholarships and grants, which often consider academic qualifications. I know I'd love to get my hands on a few.

Don't get me wrong. I am not disagreeing with the advice on this thread, but it doesn't seem like competition is eliminated just because we have those magical acceptance letters.

my thoughts are that class rank and GPA are absolute bull****. hope this helps. :)

Nyanko summed it up perfectly.

Most employers don't give 2 hoots about your class rank and gpa. Sure some residancies and internships might, but what will get you way further is your communication skills, critical thinking skills and problem solving ability. These are the things employers hire for and this has been shown to be true in multiple studies. They seriously only care if you passed. Apart from that, its all subjective assessment.

Also, achieving a high gpa/class rank is not going to be jepordised by sharing your notes. I'm a bit tired and can't quite find the words, but its just not lol. So there is no sense in stabbing your classmates in the back or being that one ridiculous pain in the ass gunner. Cuz all thats going to do is make everyone in your class hate you, band together against you then none of them will share their class notes lol. And you'll be screwed.

I think a lot of the camraderie also comes from the idea of us being in the profession together. At the end of the day, in undergrad, your in with a whole bunch of people who you may have nothing to do with later in life. But everyone in your vet class will be intrinsicly linked as you are now collegues. These are the people you will refer cases to, be refered cases from and will ask them for the answers. There is no sense shooting yourself in the foot in vet school and being remembered as that d*ck who tried to make everyone else look like ******s in first year - for the next 40 years.

in my experience, the people that benefit from the shared notes/study guides are those that have a really shaky handle on the material and this extra stuff is helping them to pass/get into the high C/B range. our curve breakers and A students just have a natural knack for stuff (its usually them sharing the stuff too) and they're gonna do extremely well regardless

I agree with everything that's being said, and thankfully my class is amazing about sharing study guides with each other. There's definitely a great sense of camaraderie in vet school (aside from a few... there are always a few *******s) because we're all going through this together. It's more supportive than I expected.

The only caveat I'll add is that some internships have a GPA or class rank cutoff. So yes, for some fields they 100% DO care what your numbers say, and no clinical skills or communication skills will get you past the first cutoff if you don't have the numbers they're looking for. The two that come to mind immediately are surgery and radiology - extremely competitive and a lot of them look first at your numbers, then the rest of your application. Luckily, I want a lab animal residency after vet school and have been told multiple times that letters of rec and demonstrated dedication to the field are way more heavily weighed than numbers :D And I haven't found a single one yet that has a cutoff for GPA/class rank, yay!

The only caveat I'll add is that some internships have a GPA or class rank cutoff. So yes, for some fields they 100% DO care what your numbers say, and no clinical skills or communication skills will get you past the first cutoff if you don't have the numbers they're looking for. The two that come to mind immediately are surgery and radiology - extremely competitive and a lot of them look first at your numbers, then the rest of your application. Luckily, I want a lab animal residency after vet school and have been told multiple times that letters of rec and demonstrated dedication to the field are way more heavily weighed than numbers :D And I haven't found a single one yet that has a cutoff for GPA/class rank, yay!

This is what I was talking about. I noticed on my c/o 2016 facebook page almost everyone claimed to have an interest in surgery. Surely that will change as people find more interests, but surgery strikes me as one of those competitive residencies that will care about GPA. But listen, I don't mean that just because you're worried about your own GPA you can't still be a civilized, cooperative classmate with no back-stabbing tendencies.

Seems to me that maybe the best approach could be to keep your mouth and ears shut about grades but do your best quietly, without bringing others down.

But listen, I don't mean that just because you're worried about your own GPA you can't still be a civilized, cooperative classmate with no back-stabbing tendencies.

Seems to me that maybe the best approach could be to keep your mouth and ears shut about grades but do your best quietly, without bringing others down.

Well yeah, of course. I studied all last year with someone who is extremely cooperative, would always share her study materials and would sometimes teach me the stuff... and she's in the top 10 people in my class (I only know that because of a scholarship I saw she received, not because she bragged to me).

My approach is basically what you mentioned. I study with others, share my study guides if anyone wants them, and do my best. At the end of the day, I don't really give a damn what grades everyone else is getting.

Most people figure out the school thing. It takes a little longer for some people but the majority of people will figure out how to survive and won't be struggling significantly (everyone struggles a little bit academically, in their own way).

My advice is get your life sorted out before you start.

If you hate your boyfriend and fight all the time, dump him, move on, and don't drag that crap into school with you. If you're really bad at working out/eating healthy, start trying to get those habits NOW so when you inevitably backslide in vet school, you know how to recuperate/handle it.

All of your problems are going to seem 10x bigger when you have 5 finals staring you down... so do yourself a favor and get your life as organized, drama-free, and streamlined as possible before that moment. A lot of people falter because they get distracted by life issues. Many are inevitable, but do your best to come into vet school zen, calm, and collected.

1. Find a balance between life and school. Take the time to cook a real dinner or go for a walk with your dog or sleep in until noon on weekends or read a book for pleasure.

1b. Take care of yourself. It might feel noble to pull an all nighter or spend all weekend in the anatomy lab but it's not worth it. You need sleep, as decent food as you can manage and a stress outlet like working out or a hobby of some sort.

2. Just keep swimming. You will probably end up feeling overwhelmed, lonely, scared, frustrated, angry or all of the above at some point. You might have trouble adjusting academically or socially or both but if you let yourself wallow you'll only sink further. Seek help from those around you and keep up as positive an attitude as you can manage and you'll make it out of the rough patches.

3. Keep an open mind/Take opportunities. Vet school is that magical place where you're considered legit enough to do lots of hands on stuff, you're knowledgable enough to comprehend lectures by experts in a field and you're excited about vet med; there are tons of opportunities to do just about anything. If you're totally convinced you're going to do small animal, join the equine club and do a wet lab or two. If you're God's gift to small ruminants, go to the lunch lecture on feline renal failure.

Most people figure out the school thing. It takes a little longer for some people but the majority of people will figure out how to survive and won't be struggling significantly (everyone struggles a little bit academically, in their own way).

My advice is get your life sorted out before you start.

If you hate your boyfriend and fight all the time, dump him, move on, and don't drag that crap into school with you. If you're really bad at working out/eating healthy, start trying to get those habits NOW so when you inevitably backslide in vet school, you know how to recuperate/handle it.

All of your problems are going to seem 10x bigger when you have 5 finals staring you down... so do yourself a favor and get your life as organized, drama-free, and streamlined as possible before that moment. A lot of people falter because they get distracted by life issues. Many are inevitable, but do your best to come into vet school zen, calm, and collected.

:love: this! :thumbup::thumbup:

Seriously, this thread is soooo helpful. I love knowing this is all coming right from prior first years. So good to hear.

I prep meals for the semester ahead of time.

Have the office supplies/computer set up you need BEFORE classes start so you can hit the ground running.

Get help before you are desperate, whether that is tutoring, counseling, learning disability evaluation, etc.

Have at least one hobby that you can pick up and drop as needed (I letterbox and mountain bike.)

Have at least one activity that you can pick up at any time that actually relaxes you (I use board games.)

Try to make friends outside of vet school as well; sometimes it is very nice to have an entire evening of conversation that has absolutly nothing to do with vet med (I participate in an organic farming co-op.)

Be prepared to change tactics as needed, but try not to spend too much time flipping through new tactics before settling down to really study.

Don't lose track of what matters to you, whether that is a particular relationship, volunteering, having alone time or regular camping... you may need to figure out new and different ways to stay connected, but recognize your priorities.

In a slightly better mood compared to my last post on this thread, so I thought I'd try to be a little more helpful.
From skimming through, most of this has probably already been said but here goes:

1) Make meals ahead of time, whether its weekly, monthly, semester-ly. It saves time, stress, and somewhat helps prevent the urge to eat out for 3 meals a day around finals week. I do a lot of chicken dishes, soups/stews, lasagna, etc in addition to freezing some basic ingredients, so that when I want to cook, I dont have to waste time running to the store for half an onion. I LOVE cooking, so making the meals is no hardship for me, which does help. Same goes for baking...I've got a large stash of cookie dough, apple pies, irish soda bread, pumpkin bread, apple bread, etc, all in the freezer for those moments of craving. :)

2) Figure out what works for you- and stick to it. A lot of people will tell you about their methods, and its fine to try new things, but don't feel like you have to study a certain way just because "other people" do. For me, I tried a bunch of group study sessions first year and they were epic fails. I can't study if there's more than 2-3 people, and I study best alone. I can't handwrite notes for the life of me, so use the computer for everything. Outlines/flashcards help me, some people can't be bothered with them, etc.

3) Hopefully most of you have figured this out already, but back up, back up, back up! I back up everything on my computer in one place, plus all my school files are backed up in multiple places. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Plus, with all my school files on dropbox, its easy to share a study guide, or log in from up at school to print thing.
(insert advertisement here: use this link to sign up for dropbox, please. you and I will both get some extra free space! Also, you can link your school email address to your dropbox to get doubled space.)

4) Have a comfortable place to stay. For me, the expense of living alone is totally worth it just so that I can easily study at home without having to worry about roommates. When I get sick of being here, I head to the coffee shop (starbucks rewards card- free coffee refills while you're sitting there!)

5) hobbies, hobbies, hobbies! I started horseback riding again last semester, and my stress level has decreased dramatically since that. Never should have stopped in the first place!

6) Don't be afraid to take a night or afternoon to yourself, even if there's an exam pending. It's very likely you'll study more effectively if you look at it with a fresh mind rather than cramming on top of cramming with a fried brain. And, on that note, if you are the type of person that needs a full night's sleep, don't try to stay up all night studying because "Everyone" is doing it.

7) Stock up. Paper towels, TP, computer paper, ink, frozen meals, whatever you think you'll need, try to keep as much of it aorund as possible. Extra points for stocking up on things while they are on sale ;)

I prep meals for the semester ahead of time.

1) Make meals ahead of time, whether its weekly, monthly, semester-ly. It saves time, stress, and somewhat helps prevent the urge to eat out for 3 meals a day around finals week. I do a lot of chicken dishes, soups/stews, lasagna, etc in addition to freezing some basic ingredients, so that when I want to cook, I dont have to waste time running to the store for half an onion. I LOVE cooking, so making the meals is no hardship for me, which does help. Same goes for baking...I've got a large stash of cookie dough, apple pies, irish soda bread, pumpkin bread, apple bread, etc, all in the freezer for those moments of craving. :)

How do you all suggest preparing for meals for a whole semester? I'm relatively new to cooking (my mom never really cooked when I was little) so I'm still learning tips and tricks. Do you just set out a meal plan for the whole semester? What ingredients do you buy in advance? I guess you'd have to wait to buy some perishables, right?

How do you all suggest preparing for meals for a whole semester? I'm relatively new to cooking (my mom never really cooked when I was little) so I'm still learning tips and tricks. Do you just set out a meal plan for the whole semester? What ingredients do you buy in advance? I guess you'd have to wait to buy some perishables, right?

For example, last week, I made two large platters of chicken parmesan. Cook as normal, divide up, and freeze in individual portion. Same for soups/stews - tupperware will be your best friend. All you have to do is remember to defrost, and then reheat.
I also do "Crock pot" bags - different veggies/meats in a bag and frozen. All I have to do when I want a crock pot meal is toss everything in. There's a ton of "recipes" and such online that tells you how much of each thing to put in the bag.

In my freezer, I have a bunch of meals/soups and things like that, plus bread dough for when I want fresh baked bread, bags of frozen veggies. Pull out what I need the night before, or that morning, and there's my meal.

To clarify - you aren't making 120 meals, or however many days are in the semester. I make enough to cover crazy exam weeks, finals week, and then whenever I'm feeling too lazy to cook. So I usually have 5-6 different meal options in the freezer, but 80% of the time, I make a regular dinner. When the freezer starts running low, I just double whatever I would normally be making and freeze the extra.

Last edited:
For example, last week, I made two large platters of chicken parmesan. Cook as normal, divide up, and freeze in individual portion. Same for soups/stews - tupperware will be your best friend. All you have to do is remember to defrost, and then reheat.
I also do "Crock pot" bags - different veggies/meats in a bag and frozen. All I have to do when I want a crock pot meal is toss everything in. There's a ton of "recipes" and such online that tells you how much of each thing to put in the bag.

In my freezer, I have a bunch of meals/soups and things like that, plus bread dough for when I want fresh baked bread, bags of frozen veggies. Pull out what I need the night before, or that morning, and there's my meal.

To clarify - you aren't making 120 meals, or however many days are in the semester. I make enough to cover crazy exam weeks, finals week, and then whenever I'm feeling too lazy to cook. So I usually have 5-6 different meal options in the freezer, but 80% of the time, I make a regular dinner. When the freezer starts running low, I just double whatever I would normally be making and freeze the extra.

This is good advice, thank you! :thumbup:

For me, the expense of living alone is totally worth it just so that I can easily study at home without having to worry about roommates. When I get sick of being here, I head to the coffee shop (starbucks rewards card- free coffee refills while you're sitting there!)

Same for me. I do best studying alone (except for anatomy lab exams) and I need it to be quiet, so studying at home is usually my best bet. Plus its so nice to come home and not have to see anyone from school that day.

It gets old.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: