Any Tips for First Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not. Old brain. No plasticity.

My suggestion that I didn't notice other people making is: Find yourself time to be active in whatever area of vet med you're planning to go into. Companion animal? Hang out in your teaching hospital, do club wet labs, get cozy with a local clinic. Production animal? Do whatever those people do.

Seriously. You'll make great contacts that will help you down the road. You'll get valuable real-world experience. And it'll help your attitude stay positive about school, because most of the time school doesn't feel very related to what you WANT to be doing.

Don't just make school about classes. Yes, you have to pass them. But if that's the extent of what you do: a) you'll be burned out before you ever graduate, and b) you won't be ready for a job.

:thumbup: Good Advice:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion that I didn't notice other people making is: Find yourself time to be active in whatever area of vet med you're planning to go into. Companion animal? Hang out in your teaching hospital, do club wet labs, get cozy with a local clinic. Production animal? Do whatever those people do.

Seriously. You'll make great contacts that will help you down the road. You'll get valuable real-world experience. And it'll help your attitude stay positive about school, because most of the time school doesn't feel very related to what you WANT to be doing.

Don't just make school about classes. Yes, you have to pass them. But if that's the extent of what you do: a) you'll be burned out before you ever graduate, and b) you won't be ready for a job.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: At the same time, try a couple of things here and there experiencing fun stuff outside of what you think you'll be going into (esp if you're SA oriented). It may be your only chance to do some of these things! It will at the very least create good memories and stories to reminisce about later in life. And it miiiiiight come in handy one day.

Don't get overinvolved though. Ugh, I overcommit myself every year and then end up running myself ragged with club and EC activities in addition to maintaining the activities that I do outside of vet med (okay - activity - only hockey, haha).

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: I still buy the things I want to eat fresh on a pretty regular basis. Lots of carrots and celery. They tend to lose that satisfying crunch after being frozen.

If it's going to be used for cooking, I generally freeze it just so I have some on hand- saves those last minute runs to the store for just one thing. Herbs, spinach, onions, scallions, tomatoes, lemons, peppers etc are all in the freezer, but the texture is pretty much only good for cooking. Its nice for a recipe that calls for half a lemon or half an onion - I don't need to run to the store, I can just pull the right amount out of the freezer. Lemons are frozen in halves, onions sliced into rings, peppers cut into strips.Most things I freeze on a cookie sheet, and then transfer to baggies so its easier to jsut take what I need and I'm not dealing with a giant clump. I've also got a ton of different berries frozen from the same method - great for smoothies! As well as yogurt cubes for me and the dogs, and pumpkin cubes for the dogs.
As more and more veggies come into season, I'm going to attempt to either freeze or can what I can, so I can at least minimize what I have to buy off season.

Gotcha. Thanks for all the tips! Definitely good to keep in mind.

So, this whole freezing-a-ton-of-meals-at-the-beginning-of-the-semester deal:
I'm kind of a stickler for fresh eating. I love fresh fruits and vegetables. Do these foods that you freeze really taste THAT fresh when you reheat them? I mean, they have to lose some "oomph," right?? Not sure if I could go for that...

I still buy (and grow) my own fresh fruit and vegetables for daily/weekly eating (lunch salads, veggie/fruit snacks, etc). I have a hydroponics set up (bought it off craigslist) for some, container garden on my deck for others. I'm lucky to be in a place with an awesome farmer's market year round and a great growing season. I do freeze things like strawberries in season for smoothies, pies, crumbles,etc.

Having said that, the frozen meals I make are the ones where the veggies are going to be cooked anyways, and I find that peak season peppers frozen into a lasagna tastes far better than off season 'fresh' peppers that were transported 10+ hours to my local market. If I am going to freeze something like stirfry, I will spread the veggies out in a thin layer on a metal pan, so everything freezes faster (saves flavor and some texture.) I freeze casseroles in small pans. We use to do this as a community exercise (before vet school when I worked a job that wsa 60-80h/wk), and we would flash freeze using dry ice in big coolers, then wrap the foods and store in personal coolers to go home.

y'all better not be secretly studying the crap out of dyce/evans/millers right now, thinking that all the vet students that told you not to just didn't know any better! or rationalize that it's because you just love anatomy anyways. you'll regret it. last warning.

Hell no. I'm not even doing the classes REQUIRED to matriculate as of right now lol... I need to get on that soon :-/

Oh no, definitely not studying in advance or reading ahead. My brain is off for the summer. I'm just soaking up the sun and ruining my liver:)
...and reading some novels, but there are totally un-school related.

I'm working eight days a week for the next couple of months. In retrospect I probably should have asked for a tad more time off.

Buuuut... on my Medical Biochem syllabus, we have 5 chapters of reading due the 2nd day of class. This is an impossibility unless I read ahead during the summer, soooo...

Edit~ Unless Medical Biochem doesn't start until later in the semester. So maybe I'm just hypin' for no reason.

I'm working eight days a week for the next couple of months. In retrospect I probably should have asked for a tad more time off.

Buuuut... on my Medical Biochem syllabus, we have 5 chapters of reading due the 2nd day of class. This is an impossibility unless I read ahead during the summer, soooo...

Edit~ Unless Medical Biochem doesn't start until later in the semester. So maybe I'm just hypin' for no reason.

Where did you get a syllabus already? Now I feel like a super slacker for not even knowing about this.

y'all better not be secretly studying the crap out of dyce/evans/millers right now, thinking that all the vet students that told you not to just didn't know any better! or rationalize that it's because you just love anatomy anyways. you'll regret it. last warning.

No kidding. First year seemed soooooo long as it was. The idea of having started earlier by studying ahead? *shudder*

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody is a slacker for not knowing about crap 3 months before vet school starts. :laugh:

No ****. I just finished the semester and I'm pretty sure there are still classes I never glanced at the syllabus for....

Look, peeps, I know that you're excited. But really - take the advice I took from people ahead of me: enjoy your summer. Do fun stuff. Blow off this vet stuff, because you'll more than get your fill. Even those of us who love it say that.

I read a LOT of books. Fun books. Non-vet books.

Catch up on your #whatshouldwecallmedschool.

Spend time with friends and family. Like, lots of it.

Get your bills on autopay.

Clean your house/apartment/whatever. Really thoroughly.

I'm too busy figuring out how I'm going to move up north to bother myself with studying.

No ****. I just finished the semester and I'm pretty sure there are still classes I never glanced at the syllabus for....

Look, peeps, I know that you're excited. But really - take the advice I took from people ahead of me: enjoy your summer. Do fun stuff. Blow off this vet stuff, because you'll more than get your fill. Even those of us who love it say that.

I read a LOT of books. Fun books. Non-vet books.

Catch up on your #whatshouldwecallmedschool.

Spend time with friends and family. Like, lots of it.

Get your bills on autopay.

Clean your house/apartment/whatever. Really thoroughly.

I had the sudden epiphany that, with my undergrad degree finished and vet school not yet started, I will probably never be this free again in my LIFE. Full-time job aside, I feel like a little kid on summer vacation. :D

In addition to #whatshouldwecallmedschool, I've also started following #ourlifeinvetschool.

Sooo my plan for the summer before I start vet school right now involves, staying up late and sleeping in late, doing mostly nothing all day long except watch tv and play computer games or go shopping, HOWEVER, I did get some Great Course Anat and Phys on DVD so I am watching those..Though they are human...but the general stuff applies...thank you evolution....No job for me...I am slacking while I still can.

Sooo my plan for the summer before I start vet school right now involves, staying up late and sleeping in late, doing mostly nothing all day long except watch tv and play computer games or go shopping, HOWEVER, I did get some Great Course Anat and Phys on DVD so I am watching those..Though they are human...but the general stuff applies...thank you evolution....No job for me...I am slacking while I still can.
Nice...that's my plan for the 20 or so days I'll be in Blacksburg before classes start. We should totally do ceramics then:)
I'm working now but in a day general practice, which compared to emergency (what I used to do) is the best thing ever. I'm at home right now, on my hour long lunch break. Yeah-that's right ER people, some people in vet medicine get breaks to eat.

Yeah-that's right ER people, some people in vet medicine get breaks to eat.
man......lunch breaks? what's that? :laugh: i currently work at an extremely busy specialty hospital in their ER/ICU on the weekend shift (Friday through Sunday) and I don't remember the last time I got to sit down and eat a real lunch. usually my lunch is equal to inhaling some food into my mouth while running around like a crazy woman and running BW or giving treatments. going on day 6 in a row right now and contemplating whether to eat, sleep, or watch TV when i get home today -- i'd do all 3 at once if i could!

back on topic though, i'm planning on sleeping lots, eating lots, watching lots of TV and then finally, a 2 week trip to europe (london, paris, rome, barcelona) before moving into my apartment!

I'm working now but in a day general practice, which compared to emergency (what I used to do) is the best thing ever. I'm at home right now, on my hour long lunch break. Yeah-that's right ER people, some people in vet medicine get breaks to eat.

i'm working in a GP this summer too and lunch breaks!! woo! i'm not quite sure what to do with myself for 30-60 minutes, it's crazy! i'm learning to eat slower though haha

Ahahaha man, we're lucky if we get dinner breaks in my normal practice. They're "scheduled" but lord knows how that actually pans out. ;)

I'm working straight up until August. Trying to talk the family into a week at OBX before I get married, dart off to Georgetown with the new beau for a while, then hit up Blacksburg for orientation.

It's not even June yet but I can't wait to be back down there.

You guys posting on here are KILLER! It's nice to have good advice and know people are coming from similar mind sets and have great advice with all their experiences. I know it's helping me in just the preparation and feeling confident that I know what to expect once class starts. Here's to looking forward to the ride of my life the next 4 years!

I am planning on moving to Blacksburg around the beginning of August....I am in Kentucky right now, and I have a planned trip to Wilmington NC..the beach baby yeah!! I move hit up Richmond for a week or two before I move as well.

PS
I found ceramics classes at the YMCA, I know they have some classes in June and July but I wont be there yet. I will have to contact them to see what other times they are offering ceramics...Or I can just rent studio time and buy some clay to show you. I am not the best yet, but I think I could probably show you how.
:idea: I also want to take some horse back riding lessons...

I love my laid back Vet office, we kinda take turns going to get lunch if it isnt to busy or one person goes and gets everyone lunch.

Seems like this thread has detoured from OP's post, but in answer I wrote a thread about my mistakes first year (kind of the opposite of tips).....

they generated some debate, so in case anyone is still interested

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=773885&highlight=mistakes

A lot of the noobs probably have not read this (sorry to you old-timers ... ha ha... I'm calling YOU old).

Seems like this thread has detoured from OP's post, but in answer I wrote a thread about my mistakes first year (kind of the opposite of tips).....

A lot of the noobs probably have not read this (sorry to you old-timers ... ha ha... I'm calling YOU old).

Awesome post SOV, Thanks!:thumbup: (Even though I am doing pretty much everything you said not to :scared:)... too late now! :eek:

I often wonder if my medical condition this last year could have been caused by 1st year stress. But, I am sure you will be fine..... most of us survive!

I'll survive, just wish I had more time to relax. I have exactly a month from the day I quit work, to the day I start orientation. I am also non-trad and have been out of school for 3 years, so I am more worried about having a mental break for a while before classes start, but that's just not possible. I'll do what I've done before and get through it. No sense wishing for things that can't happen. It only stresses me out more. :D

That thread just makes me happy to have clawed my way through first year and come out the other side. First year sucked for me. I'm hoping that second year is better for me, as some others have suggested it was for them at their school, and maybe the folks that breezed through first year may have a harder time with micro heavy, memorization heavy, genus species heavy curriculum. I wouldn't mind. (Okay, okay - I'll stop being bitter. Other people's grades hold no sway on my own.)

I'm not sure what my big mistake was. I know that part of it was just a general inability to efficiently memorize anatomy stuff. I could recite a list or label a picture, but the 3D layout of things always eluded me. I never did that well on practicals.

I also think I'm pretty sensitive to how someone actually teaches a subject. Some folks jive with me and some don't. And it's funny, because my favorite (a matter-of-fact presentation of material plus some extra bits to catch in notes during class) was other's least favorite.

And, last but not least, I should probably study more... or, really, more efficiently. I get too wrapped up in HOW I am studying when I should be worried about making it through material. My buddy box will be a testament to this: I have the anatomy notes of an A+ student, but not the grades to reflect it.

And finally, I need to do well (or, really, EXTRA well) at the beginning of the semester so that finals week isn't the week from hell. I dunno if I can handle another one like these last two.

But, to the 2016-ers that may be reading this and getting worried... just realize that everyone has their own individual problems and hurdles. Mine are not yours. There may be some overlap, but yeah. Just go about it the best you can, adapt as quickly as you can, and don't lose sight of the big picture.

Number one thing is to not neglect your life outside vet school! This is especially a problem in first year when you tend to get consumed by learning the difference between the superficial digital flexor tendon and the inferior check ligament and don't spend enough time checking out the university clubs and societies! Obviously a lot of your time is going to be spent in the library/holding your head in your hands in despair (exaggeration!) but you need to get the all round university experience :)
On a more informative note, try to find where your real interest lies e.g. surgery/internal medicine/endocrine.. and read up on that topic in your spare time for pleasure. You'll find most recent articles online, or can even subscribe to a specialized magazine. This will ensure you're ahead of the class in an area you love, and who knows, you may even progress your career once you qualify!

I told one of the doctors I work with yesterday that I'd ordered my class notes (she graduated from VMR as well). Her advice -

"Don't put them all in separate binders. Figure out what classes you have on each day and group them, or you will hate yourself."

She was quite serious. :laugh:

I told one of the doctors I work with yesterday that I'd ordered my class notes (she graduated from VMR as well). Her advice -

"Don't put them all in separate binders. Figure out what classes you have on each day and group them, or you will hate yourself."

It's these little things that no one thinks of beforehand that are really helpful to remember lol.

Thank you SOV for sharing this. I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from your struggles and to see that you came out the other side intact. It takes a lot courage to put yourself out there like that, even on an anonymous forum. Thanks again:)

:thumbup: good to know!

I did that all through first year. I would grab the amount of notes per class that we were going through before the first test (or if there was a lot for that class, for that week) for each class and had a 2.5 or 3 inch binder. It worked pretty well. I could use it to study active information and then file everything later.

I did that all through first year. I would grab the amount of notes per class that we were going through before the first test (or if there was a lot for that class, for that week) for each class and had a 2.5 or 3 inch binder. It worked pretty well. I could use it to study active information and then file everything later.

One of my favorite little silly tricks with OneNote was to subdivide by exam.

So I have one Notebook (in OneNote) per semester. In that Notebook is each class as a 'Section'. (So that stuff is over on the left.)

On the right, where the 'Pages' go for each Section, you can indent pages.... So all of the lectures for a given exam would get indented under a Page that said 'Exam 1' or whatever.

Made studying nice and organized.

Since it's hard to explain, I've attached a pic. Not going to include it into the post because it's huge (screen huge, not kilobytes huge).

Attachments

• onenote_org.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 97
One of my favorite little silly tricks with OneNote was to subdivide by exam.

So I have one Notebook (in OneNote) per semester. In that Notebook is each class as a 'Section'. (So that stuff is over on the left.)

On the right, where the 'Pages' go for each Section, you can indent pages.... So all of the lectures for a given exam would get indented under a Page that said 'Exam 1' or whatever.

Made studying nice and organized.

Since it's hard to explain, I've attached a pic. Not going to include it into the post because it's huge (screen huge, not kilobytes huge).

I would really like to use something like OneNote, but I feel like I would spend more time trying to figure it out than actually using it :confused:

I would really like to use something like OneNote, but I feel like I would spend more time trying to figure it out than actually using it :confused:

I've been using OneNote to organize info for WW games so I can learn how to use it. Hahaha. So far I like. Probably still not using it to it's full potential but I like how you can easily move things around. I just haven't decided if I'm sticking with a PC or going Mac yet. If I go Mac, I need to learn how to use GrowlyNotes (basically the same thing) but the toolbars confuse me because I feel like they're missing things.

Growly Notes? I tried finding it in the app store, but it didn't come up.. :confused:

OneNote is awesome!!! I used it all the time in undergrad with my tablet-laptop and it is amazing. one of the main reasons I avoid Macs. There was a great thread on convertible tablets a few years ago with a discussion on all of the onenote features. YOu can basically record the lecture as it goes, and then when you click on an imported powerpoint slide when studying, then you can get the associated lecture.

... and if technologically challenged Snowy can make it work, so can you!

It sounds kind of like Evernote. I don't like the format of it, so maybe I'd like the GrowlyNotes better. Or maybe Evernote can be changed and I just don't know. :laugh:

I downloaded it on my sister's Mac and the format seemed pretty similar to the format of OneNote. I just didn't play around enough to to figure out all the toolbars. But I generally find the toolbars on Microsoft programs to be easier to navigate and find things on. Or it's just because I'm used to them. But I do like Macs as well, so I don't want what type of computer I'm going to get :shrug: I just know that I won't be using this 5+ year old Dell. Maybe I'll take it with me for backup but not for doing the bulk of my work on.

I always had Microsoft. I tried my brother's Mac once and while I didn't know how to do anything with it, I decided to give it a try because I was told I won't be able to crash that one. :laugh:

It was hard at first, so if you get one, try to get it a at least a week before school starts to play around with it. But I absolutely love it. I would definitely get it again if I had the choice again (I have the Pro).

I'm gonna play around with it over the summer. Hopefully I like this program better, because I really don't enjoy using Word for my class notes.

Another vote for OneNote here (PC). I really like using it, especially with the lines to use the printers in the morning. No wasted paper, no waiting to print, messing with paper jams, any of that.

I like and use GrowlyNotes, for what it's worth.

Do you know if it's available for iPads or if I got one of those tablet thingies/drawing boards for my Mac, if I could write in it instead of type?