Any tips for writing a research proposal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ! I don't have much experience with research, but there is a project I want to get started up. My school also doesn't do much research... however one asked me to write a research proposal and bring it back to him to go over. Does any one have any tips or advice or links to examples? I've only been finding templates online, not actual examples. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys ! I don't have much experience with research, but there is a project I want to get started up. My school also doesn't do much research... however one asked me to write a research proposal and bring it back to him to go over. Does any one have any tips or advice or links to examples? I've only been finding templates online, not actual examples. Thanks in advance!
Templates won't help if your PI doesn't like the template. Why don't you ask your faculty advisor? Most professors have PhDs and are familiar with the concept of a research proposal.

If you look at the templates, you should be able to see the simple parts of the proposal: background, hypothesis, methods, limitations, support. Address why this project is going to help the overall lab. Are you trying to test a new assay or procedure that is more efficient? How will you measure progress? What challenges should you anticipate? How long is this going to take?

I've reviewed many research proposals and manuscripts over the years. Here are some general suggestions

1) Have a clearly stated hypothesis. The more detailed the better.
2) The hypothesis should be clearly linked to a primary objective
3) The primary objective in turn should be translated into something that can be measured (primary endpoint). The primary endpoint should be very clearly stated. Provide rationale for why it was chosen as primary and that appropriate statistical methods were used (sample size calculation, analysis methods, etc)
4) Everything else should be considered as a secondary hypothesis/objective/endpoint

Coming up with the hypothesis is the hardest part. Especially something that already hasn't been studied. Look at papers in NEJM if you want to see how to line up the hypothesis/objective/endpoints