Tips on getting used to restraining aggressive rodents or prairie voles specifically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsallsmiles

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a lot of experience working with mice, but just started in a new lab where ill also be working with prairie voles.

Honestly, Im not the most comfortable working with animals as I've never grown up around any really. So working with my mice probably took more getting used to than the average person. I'm now working with prairie voles that are very close to wild type and are therefore significantly more aggressive than normal lab mice (we wear 3 pairs of gloves to protect from the bites).

Today I was trying to train on how to restrain them and its only my second time but its really frustrating that Im so uncomfortable and scared when handling them. I want to be able to start experimentation soon without so much stress and having it potentially affect my results. It's much different than mouse scruffing because their tail is too short to use to help, so you have to cup them with your hand well and let them wiggle into the correct position so you can scruff (the movement and potential biting even though it doesn't hurt with all the gloves scares me).

Does anyone have any tips from working with aggressive animals like this? I feel slightly incompetent and want to make a good impression as a new member in this lab. Has anyone started off really bad like this? Maybe some reassurance can help.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.