Any tips on having a strong mentality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerDK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking mine in a week and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to have a strong mentality during the test?

I heard people have freaked out in the middle of the test and lost focus, which ended up being detrimental.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking mine in a week and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to have a strong mentality during the test?

I heard people have freaked out in the middle of the test and lost focus, which ended up being detrimental.
Students don't usually "freak" out in the middle of the test, the problem more often than not occurs in Biology which is the first section. If you are not fully prepared and those first questions come at you and you can not answer them it can cause panic to set in. If you are fully prepared there should not be a problem. But during the test always remember to breathe, when nervous most of us have a tendency to shallow breath which heightens stress.

What day are you taking your DAT?

Feel free to message me..

Nancy

Students don't usually "freak" out in the middle of the test, the problem more often than not occurs in Biology which is the first section. If you are not fully prepared and those first questions come at you and you can not answer them it can cause panic to set in. If you are fully prepared there should not be a problem. But during the test always remember to breathe, when nervous most of us have a tendency to shallow breath which heightens stress.

What day are you taking your DAT?

Feel free to message me..

Nancy

Thank you for the input! I'm taking it on the 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other tips? Anybody want to calm me down?:) I moved my test forward because I am getting good practice scores and I feel prepared.... but now that I am 5 days out the reality of what I am trying to accomplish has set in. Maybe I will feel this way no matter when I take it?

If you start the exam and feel like you totally blank and cannot pick the answer, take a moment to breathe and just mark any question you don't know/or unsure of. Get to some questions you know and are confident in, this will help warm up your brain and get you thinking. When I started my exam I thought I didn't know the first question and freaked, then the next and so on. I just took a second to pep myself up, and marked any questions that I was confused on. Once I settled down I was able to focus better and feel more confident! Once I returned to my marked questions I felt stupid for freaking out in the first place.

It's quicker to take a moment to yourself, than totally freak out and let that destroy your score.
Stay confident, you'll rock the exam! Best of luck!