Any tips to improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

troyboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a senior in undergrad at a small catholic school in massachusetts. Biochemistry major with a spanish minor. Going to graduate probably with a 3.52 gpa and a 3.35 science gpa. I am saying probably only because I am assuming this will be an easier semester. I actually had switched from a marketing major to biochemistry midway through my sophomore year so I had to pile on ALL of my science courses and premed reqs. I did well in biochemistry, organic, inorganic, and biology. Genetics and physics were only Bs though.

My research experience is the Application of Microwave in Organic Reactions in the Undergraduate Laboratory (Green Chemistry). I am also thinking of working with my biochemistry professor on pharmeceutical design of a drug against tuberculosis.

I am taking the MCAT in march and I am well aware of the implications of an average score will not treat me well or improve my chances.

I have three campus jobs (writing center/tutor, manager of the campus center, and in the office of student life). I also have leadership positions in a few programs such as my school's honors program and the Omicron Delta Kappa honors society. I also have played on the school rugby team for all 4 years.

Although I have volunteered as an English-as-a-Second-Language tutor, I do not have much experience within a hospital. I have looked to shadow doctors but have not had the opportunity as of yet. My only personal experience within a hospital has been as a patient during numerous hip surgeries and my interaction and contact with the staff there.

it is clear that my GPA is lackluster, however I know that my extracurriculars will help me out a bit. I know that I should aim for above a 30 on the MCAT, and perhaps pursue some sort of volunteering.

I am sorry for the lengthy post, but I was wondering what my chances are at getting into a program (hopefully sports medicine or ortho surgery). In state or out of state?

Thank you for putting up with me!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You don't pick the program you go into yet. You get into medical school and you pick some specialty (sports medicine, ortho surgery etc) later. You don't go into an ortho surgery program outright.

2. Yes - your GPA is weak and your clinical volunteering is nil. While your experience during your hip surgeries are helpful in writing a Personal Statement, they will not make up for no shadowing or other sort of clinical experience. It is good that you understand that you need volunteering but I recommend that you focus on clinical volunteering.

3. Depending on your MCAT score, you will have some sort of chance to get in. But it is going to be hard. If you apply wisely and broadly enough, you might get into an MD program. I recommend considering DO as well where you will have a higher chance of getting in (again, depending on clinical volunteering and MCAT).

Hello everyone,

I am a senior in undergrad at a small catholic school in massachusetts. Biochemistry major with a spanish minor. Going to graduate probably with a 3.52 gpa and a 3.35 science gpa. I am saying probably only because I am assuming this will be an easier semester. I actually had switched from a marketing major to biochemistry midway through my sophomore year so I had to pile on ALL of my science courses and premed reqs. I did well in biochemistry, organic, inorganic, and biology. Genetics and physics were only Bs though.

My research experience is the Application of Microwave in Organic Reactions in the Undergraduate Laboratory (Green Chemistry). I am also thinking of working with my biochemistry professor on pharmeceutical design of a drug against tuberculosis.

I am taking the MCAT in march and I am well aware of the implications of an average score will not treat me well or improve my chances.

I have three campus jobs (writing center/tutor, manager of the campus center, and in the office of student life). I also have leadership positions in a few programs such as my school's honors program and the Omicron Delta Kappa honors society. I also have played on the school rugby team for all 4 years.

Although I have volunteered as an English-as-a-Second-Language tutor, I do not have much experience within a hospital. I have looked to shadow doctors but have not had the opportunity as of yet. My only personal experience within a hospital has been as a patient during numerous hip surgeries and my interaction and contact with the staff there.

it is clear that my GPA is lackluster, however I know that my extracurriculars will help me out a bit. I know that I should aim for above a 30 on the MCAT, and perhaps pursue some sort of volunteering.

I am sorry for the lengthy post, but I was wondering what my chances are at getting into a program (hopefully sports medicine or ortho surgery). In state or out of state?

Thank you for putting up with me!
One doesn't apply for a given specialty until the fourth year of medical school. First you need to develop an application that will appeal to a broad range of med schools.

The average applicant has 1.5 years of clinical experience through a job, volunteering, or clinical research, where they interact with sick people. Most do this for 3-4 hours a week. Personal interaction with the medical system will not cover this expectation.

The average applicant has about 50 hours of shadowing. I suggest 60-80 hours split among 2-3 types of doc.

About one year of research is the average listed on applications. Since this is not required, you are good to go.

It's a good idea to have some nonmedical community service, ideally for an organization you care about that serves the poor. Your ESL tutoring may cover this.

Intercollegiate sports are valued as many traits needed to succeed translate well into desirable characteristics for a physician.

Teaching and leadership also strengthen an application. You've got those covered.

Chances cannot be predicted without an MCAT score. And you still have a ways to go to develop comprehensive ECs.

Average stats for those accepted to MD schools are 3.67/3.61/31.1. Personally, I think you need to work on raising the sGPA further unless your MCAT score is very strong. Average stats for matriculating DO students are 3.47/3.36/26.49. You might consider incuding DO med schools on your list if you prefer not to improve your sGPA further, or if strong test-taking skills are not your forte.

Just my opinion.