You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Any Truth to the Rumor that the DAT Is Changing?
Started by HBomb
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it will take about half a year to implement this because they will have to make up suitable physics questions (unless if they take it directly from MCAT or OAT) as well as to inform DAT testers to study for physics. Also, if this rumor is true, then maybe dental schools will begin to require applicants to have physics as a pre-requisite (similar to Medicine and Optometry).
Originally posted by The Musketeer
I think it will take about half a year to implement this because they will have to make up suitable physics questions (unless if they take it directly from MCAT or OAT) as well as to inform DAT testers to study for physics. Also, if this rumor is true, then maybe dental schools will begin to require applicants to have physics as a pre-requisite (similar to Medicine and Optometry).
physics is a pre-req at most dental schools
First, I don't think they could change it in 6 months. Second, they will only change it when the average score gets too high. There are still schools willing to accept people with 17s, so I don't think it will change for at least 4-5 years. The averages are picking up, however, so I think it will change eventually.
Why would they add physics just because the scores are getting too high? Why wouldn't they just make the current questions more difficult? Anoyone have any source from which they heard this rumor that is somewhat valid?
The rumor i heard was that they want to make the science sections more like the Mcat, where there are passages that u have to use in addition to ur knowledge in order to answer the questions. I really doubt that this will be the case but you never know!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Calculus1
First, I don't think they could change it in 6 months. Second, they will only change it when the average score gets too high. There are still schools willing to accept people with 17s, so I don't think it will change for at least 4-5 years. The averages are picking up, however, so I think it will change eventually.
You make it sound like there is a conspiracy against predents.
Changing the format of the test to get more people with lower scores.
I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that. If I wasn't clear, I'm sorry. The jist of what I said is, scores are on the rise. The applicant pool is growing, but the number of seats available is not. Eventually, they may have to change the test to eliminate more applicants. I don't quite see how this is a conspiracy against pre-dents.
dr_benj said:Why would they add physics just because the scores are getting too high? Why wouldn't they just make the current questions more difficult? Anoyone have any source from which they heard this rumor that is somewhat valid?
If the scores are getting too high, what they usually do is just change the scale by recentering the test. Changing the format of the test - even making questions harder - requires some warning to students in that all the study material and practice material need to be updated to reflect the increase in difficulty of questions. Adding physics can be done with some advance warning so again prep classes and prep books can have a section for physics.
Physics??!?? Boy, am I glad that I got in to dental school!! No more DAT for me!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
I dont think thats going to happen, though. I always thought that the PAT section was supposed to substitute for the Physics..
gatorfan.
I dont think thats going to happen, though. I always thought that the PAT section was supposed to substitute for the Physics..
gatorfan.
Dr. Yarbourough (sp?), dean of admissions from UOP came to speak at our pre-dent club meeting and he mentioned that they will eventually take out the quantitative reasoning and put in critical thinking section (writing).
This was 2 years ago.
This was 2 years ago.
Come on guys. Do you really think they are going to alter the DAT anytime soon especially when you consider that the last major change, adding the PAT was in 1998? They need to see how that is working out before they decide to do anything. 👎
I really hope they do make the DAT much harder than it is now. Therefore there would be less dentists in this country, and in turn this will provide the present dentists and students with a brighter aspect of the business aspect of dentistry and healthier income 😀 👍
Beam of Light said:I really hope they do make the DAT much harder than it is now. Therefore there would be less dentists in this country, and in turn this will provide the present dentists and students with a brighter aspect of the business aspect of dentistry and healthier income 😀 👍
If they did that, there would be a possibility of raising attrition in the ranks of dentists because the shortage would be so acute that the ones who choose to tough it out will be so overloaded with work and stressed out. 👎
That's exactly my point. There needs to be less people admitted each year. 👍 Especially those with under 3.0 GPA's. How can you trust a person that made more C's than A's in school?
Beam of Light said:That's exactly my point. There needs to be less people admitted each year. 👍 Especially those with under 3.0 GPA's. How can you trust a person that made more C's than A's in school?
That's not very nice 😡
You should exclude those that due to "youthful indiscretion" ended up with a weak record but now are working their butt off to recover.
You are advocating shrinking the profession when the population is expanding. 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
blankguy said:That's not very nice 😡
You should exclude those that due to "youthful indiscretion" ended up with a weak record but now are working their butt off to recover.
You are advocating shrinking the profession when the population is expanding. 🙄
See you have just proved my point exactly. "Youthful indiscretion?"
Oh please. You guys have every oppurtunity to make a successful life out of the oppurtunties you've had. You just blew it. 👎 I just wish the admission counselors saw it my way. Dentistry, as a whole, would be better for it.
Beam of Light said:See you have just proved my point exactly. "Youthful indiscretion?"![]()
Oh please. You guys have every oppurtunity to make a successful life out of the oppurtunties you've had. You just blew it. 👎 I just wish the admission counselors saw it my way. Dentistry, as a whole, would be better for it.
Well too bad!

Proud to be an under 3.0 club member. Put up with us.
blankguy said:Well too bad!
Proud to be an under 3.0 club member. Put up with us.
I'd rather send you to nursing school 😉

beam is just mad cause he/she has never gotten laid and is going into dentistry for financial reasons so he can get a trophy wife and maybe some ass one day. anyone can be a gunner. you gotta live a little brotha. what good are those A's going to do when nobody wants to come to your practice because your attitude sucks? from my experience, the general population does not favor arrogant people. grades are simply a mean to an end my friend. just because you have stellar stats and know how to be successful in school doesn't mean you will be the best dentist. correlation does not equal causation.
you obviously think you are perfect/superior to everyone else based on your academic achievements and lack of "youth indiscretion." well great, all i have to say is GOODWILL HUNTING. it's one thing to read something and have knowledge, but life is about experiences. you can read all the books you want and memorize every fact about dentistry, but until you actually work for patients, you are nothing different from anyone else. people should not be penalized for a mistake in their youth. in my view, i would rather have a student who messed up. they know that failure experience and thus never want to feel that again. you can't have the sweet without the sour.
you obviously think you are perfect/superior to everyone else based on your academic achievements and lack of "youth indiscretion." well great, all i have to say is GOODWILL HUNTING. it's one thing to read something and have knowledge, but life is about experiences. you can read all the books you want and memorize every fact about dentistry, but until you actually work for patients, you are nothing different from anyone else. people should not be penalized for a mistake in their youth. in my view, i would rather have a student who messed up. they know that failure experience and thus never want to feel that again. you can't have the sweet without the sour.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 99
.