Any TX residents with average-decent stats get out of state MD interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MI2015

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking like 4.0 and 40+ where everyone is clamoring to give you a spot, but like average 3.7,30 applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not talking like 4.0 and 40+ where everyone is clamoring to give you a spot, but like average 3.7,30 applicants.

Met plenty of Texas peeps with okay to great stats all over the northeast on the interview trail. From state schools to the ivys.

Do you have any recommendations? For average stats regarding oos friendly public schools and private schools?
I've looked at the MSAR but I found several discrepancies. For example, 4 schools in TX had lower stats than the MSAR reported- I actually called and asked and they were receptive to telling me. Apparently they get a lot of calls from concerned students who read the MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 schools in TX had lower stats than the MSAR reported
What's an example? There might be differences in what exact stats are being shown between the MSAR and the school (median vs mean, stats for accepted vs matriculated, full range vs 10th-90th, maybe even prior year vs school average over the last four). If my understanding is correct, the stats data in the MSAR is reported directly by the same organization that calculates applicant GPAs and assigns MCATs, so it's the gold standard and would be tough to get wrong.

I don't want to name the schools (4 state schools), because I'm always concerned about the schools being on here and I don't want to say anything specific. But honestly the MSAR was a huge waste of money ( for me). I just called those 4 schools, but I also compared class profiles and MSAR data and several schools varied. I know .2 difference in gpa or 1-2 points in MCAT scores aren't that big to some people, but for me that's huge. That's just my opinion- I know many people have been helped by it, but it just made me freak out more haha

Reactions: 1 user
I know .2 difference in gpa or 1-2 points in MCAT scores aren't that big to some people, but for me that's huge.
Are you certain you're comparing apples to apples? If you asked a school for their average stats and the MSAR reports a median, they can be .2/1-2 apart and still both correct. Or the school may have given you numbers for their Texan admits while the MSAR reports all admits, etc. Can you share what exactly you asked for, school names redacted? Alternatively you could PM me an example class profile that differs from the MSAR.

I don't want to name the schools (4 state schools), because I'm always concerned about the schools being on here and I don't want to say anything specific. But honestly the MSAR was a huge waste of money ( for me). I just called those 4 schools, but I also compared class profiles and MSAR data and several schools varied. I know .2 difference in gpa or 1-2 points in MCAT scores aren't that big to some people, but for me that's huge. That's just my opinion- I know many people have been helped by it, but it just made me freak out more haha
Like efle said, it is probably average/mean vs median. Most schools have medians above their mean

Are you certain you're comparing apples to apples? If you asked a school for their average stats and the MSAR reports a median, they can be .2/1-2 apart and still both correct. Or the school may have given you numbers for their Texan admits while the MSAR reports all admits, etc. Can you share what exactly you asked for, school names redacted? Alternatively you could PM me an example class profile that differs from the MSAR.

I specifically asked if they knew about MSAR and gave them the data- both median and mean. The schools gave me their own medians and means which were different. The number given is for all admits, just like the number is for all admits on the MSAR.

Like efle said, it is probably average/mean vs median. Most schools have medians above their mean

I specifically asked them for both median and mean, and gave them the MSAR data as well. Like I said- for me the MSAR wasn't helpful, but obviously to others it is.

Very few MD applicants leave TX.
Last year it was only 215 (compare that to 1,528 from CA). They tend to be folks who attended OOS private schools and were recruitment scholarship candidates.

May I ask where you found this information? I'm wondering because I would like to see the data on where TX students went to out of state so I can adjust my school list.

I specifically asked them for both median and mean, and gave them the MSAR data as well. Like I said- for me the MSAR wasn't helpful, but obviously to others it is.
Were they giving you their total class values, perhaps, instead of just the most recent year? It's hard for me to understand how the MSAR can make an error, since they calculate your GPA as included in your app, they score and send out your MCAT, they send the app to the school, and they track and report who gets accepted where. My other guess is that there is some variation in how the numbers are calculated - the school may calculate GPA for each applicant differently and then read you their calculated median values, while the MSAR would continue reporting the correct median AMCAS GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were they giving you their total class values, perhaps, instead of just the most recent year? It's hard for me to understand how the MSAR can make an error, since they calculate your GPA as included in your app, they score and send out your MCAT, they send the app to the school, and they track and report who gets accepted where. My other guess is that there is some variation in how the numbers are calculated - the school may calculate GPA for each applicant differently and then read you their calculated median values, while the MSAR would continue reporting the correct median AMCAS GPA.

TMDAS and AMCAS gpas are calculated differently. AMCAS doesn't even have anything to do with calculating gpa or sending the app. TMDAS gpa is generally higher because no +/- are used. Honestly I don't want to debate this haha I asked them about the median and mean for the same year that the MSAR reported data and got the different answers. I tend to trust the schools more than the MSAR but that's just me.

I've noticed what MI2015 has been saying as well. Calling schools or looking at most recent class profiles has seemed to vary from MSAR data, as well. If I'm not mistaken adcoms compare your stats to the most recent class. I remember seeing a couple class profiles average GPA/science GPA that were about 0.15 off MSAR reported data

I've noticed what MI2015 has been saying as well. Calling schools or looking at most recent class profiles has seemed to vary from MSAR data, as well. If I'm not mistaken adcoms compare your stats to the most recent class. I remember seeing a couple class profiles average GPA/science GPA that were about 0.15 off MSAR reported data
The MSAR is not self-reported. As such, it is a better source of data.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MSAR is not self-reported. As such it is a better source of data.
I do completely understand that, but why would schools present stats that are lower than the MSAR that's what I don't get.

I PMed MI2015, it appears he was comparing a school average to MSAR medians, and as expected the average was skewed a bit lower than medians (much longer left tail down to low 3s than right tail up to 4.0)

I did!

I received II to: Florida Atlantic University, University of South Florida or University of Central Florida (I can't remember which, but one of those), Indiana U, and Virginia Commonwealth University. I didn't attend a single OOS interview--mostly because I had already spent a significant amount of money attending 7 interviews here in TX.

If you are an average applicant I would definitely invest in the MSAR. I chose to apply to IU and VCU solely because they accept a high number of OOS students. Because only a small number of OOS students apply there (most OOSers try their luck with private schools) I had a really high chance of receiving an interview. I applied to both schools in June and received interview invites from them in Oct. I had luck with Florida schools mostly because I have really strong ties to Florida and I stressed it in my secondary essays.

If you want to stay in Texas I wouldn't bother applying out of state--I wasted a lot of money. I have average stats and I did just fine. If you have to apply OOS I'd definitely put VCU and IU on your list.

It might expand their applicant pool.

I honestly trust the school. I understand why people like the MSAR. Thanks for you opinion though!

I did!

I received II to: Florida Atlantic University, University of South Florida or University of Central Florida (I can't remember which, but one of those), Indiana U, and Virginia Commonwealth University. I didn't attend a single OOS interview--mostly because I had already spent a significant amount of money attending 7 interviews here in TX.

If you are an average applicant I would definitely invest in the MSAR. I chose to apply to IU and VCU solely because they accept a high number of OOS students. Because only a small number of OOS students apply there (most OOSers try their luck with private schools) I had a really high chance of receiving an interview. I applied to both schools in June and received interview invites from them in Oct. I had luck with Florida schools mostly because I have really strong ties to Florida and I stressed it in my secondary essays.

If you want to stay in Texas I wouldn't bother applying out of state--I wasted a lot of money. I have average stats and I did just fine. If you have to apply OOS I'd definitely put VCU and IU on your list.

Wow thanks! I already applied AMCAS as well, but I was feeling kinda bummed about my chances of getting an OOS interview.
Although, what is your idea of average stats? Haha to get 7 interviews in TX you must have pretty good ones. Some people think average is 3.9/35 lol

Wow thanks! I already applied AMCAS as well, but I was feeling kinda bummed about my chances of getting an OOS interview.
Although, what is your idea of average stats? Haha to get 7 interviews in TX you must have pretty good ones. Some people think average is 3.9/35 lol

I have a LizzyM of <70. If you want specifics I can pm you.

moved to other SDNs

Last edited:
I did!

A perfect illustration --

Most TX applicants with ~average stats have pretty good chances at an in-state acceptance which means attending a really good school for a great price tag. Why would someone turn that down?

OK, there are reasons: Strong ties to another location (ex. Florida), high likelihood of financial aid (so how "average are they?), or gunning for a tippy top tier school (again, "average"?) Or maybe they just really really don't want to be in TX...

As @Chlorini experience demonstrates, the yield for OOS schools offering invitations to TX students is pretty low. S/he didn't even attend those interviews, despite those strong ties to the state.

My suggestion -- If you're just applying OOS MD "to be safe" -- don't. Lots of time and money for a low probability of success. (@Chlorini was offered acceptances in state, so despite the IIs, gained absolutely nothing from the OOS applications) If you want to "be safe" and have genuine doubts about your chances for TX MD, then apply DO.

A perfect illustration --

Most TX applicants with ~average stats have pretty good chances at an in-state acceptance which means attending a really good school for a great price tag. Why would someone turn that down?

OK, there are reasons: Strong ties to another location (ex. Florida), high likelihood of financial aid (so how "average are they?), or gunning for a tippy top tier school (again, "average"?) Or maybe they just really really don't want to be in TX...

As @Chlorini experience demonstrates, the yield for OOS schools offering invitations to TX students is pretty low. S/he didn't even attend those interviews, despite those strong ties to the state.

My suggestion -- If you're just applying OOS MD "to be safe" -- don't. Lots of time and money for a low probability of success. (@Chlorini was offered acceptances in state, so despite the IIs, gained absolutely nothing from the OOS applications) If you want to "be safe" and have genuine doubts about your chances for TX MD, then apply DO.

Thank you for your advice. However, if there's one thing I've learned it's that this process is a crapshoot. I talked to someone with a LizzyM of 69 who got no TX acceptances but 2 OOS MD acceptances (private). Sure this is N=1, but I want to cover my bases. I already submitted AMCAS, but there's only about 10 schools I want to add. I know it probably won't make a difference, but I don't want to regret not doing it.

My suggestion -- If you're just applying OOS MD "to be safe" -- don't. Lots of time and money for a low probability of success.

This x1000. A better use of your time would be prepping for interviews (learning more about ACA, preparing for common questions, etc). All those extra secondaries are a huge drain -- both in terms of time, money, and mental energy. Finishing the TX secondaries alone was painful enough for me.

there's only about 10 schools I want to add. I know it probably won't make a difference, but I don't want to regret not doing it.

10 extra schools is a very high number, but it's your time and money. There will always be n=1 stories and there will always be the risk of getting in nowhere.

@Chlorini mentioned IU. That school has incredibly expensive OOS tuition (~$53k/year), which is probably why it doesn't have that many OOS applicants.

This x1000. A better use of your time would be prepping for interviews (learning more about ACA, preparing for common questions, etc). All those extra secondaries are a huge drain -- both in terms of time, money, and mental energy. Finishing the TX secondaries alone was painful enough for me.

10 extra schools is a very high number, but it's your time and money. There will always be n=1 stories and there will always be the risk of getting in nowhere.

@Chlorini mentioned IU. That school has incredibly expensive OOS tuition (~$53k/year), which is probably why it doesn't have that many OOS applicants.

I already finished everything for TX already so at least that's done. And I am fortunate enough to have parents that are paying for applications/tuitions. I know I will regret not applying OOS. And i'm not willing to live with that regret lol, but thank you for your advice!!