State of residency ambiguity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

littleblue888

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I've been getting conflicting info about what state is my legal residence. For context, I was born in CA and am a US citizen, but lived in China for 12 years before undergrad. During this time, my parents continued to file taxes for foreign income under a CA home address.

After moving to GA for college in 2020, I've had a GA license since 2022 and am registered to vote here, but I am still listed as a dependent on my parents' CA tax returns. However, I also work in GA and have filed my own taxes here.

Am I just a cut and dry GA resident? An advisor has told me since I'm a dependent on my parents' tax return, that I'm still a CA resident, but others have told me it's whatever state I'm registered to vote in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
but others have told me it's whatever state I'm registered to vote in.
Certainly not true in my experience. You're allowed to register to vote in a state where you are attending college, but typically attending a school opposed to not being in school (full time work/taxes) is not enough to gain residency status.