Any UC Davis Student here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bis 102, 103, and all MCB courses such as MCB 121, 123, 124, 120L can count as both Biology courses as well as Biochemistry courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Biochem is hardcore. Yuo guys have to take the crazy P-chem series + MCB 120L which is a 6 unit lab course... if I remember it right, isn't that class 18 hours/week? Also, I heard Leigh Segel teaches it...

Wow. Biochem is hardcore. Yuo guys have to take the crazy P-chem series + MCB 120L which is a 6 unit lab course... if I remember it right, isn't that class 18 hours/week? Also, I heard Leigh Segel teaches it...

Yes, it is right. But, I am done with all of MCB classes. I have always been scared of taking MCB 120L. I dropped out twice after first lecture before last winter I decided to stick around and face it. I didn't like it much in the beginning, but it made a lot of sense. I think it is a good lab to take for any major. I did not like Bis 102 much, but after the lab, I kind of understood what I was supposed to get out of Bis 102. But, I am happy cuz I am done.
I have a question on the side, wot major you are in or you were? Have you heard anything about MCB 150L (Embryology) course. I am planning to take it in Fall and wish to get some feedback on it.

Yes, it is right. But, I am done with all of MCB classes. I have always been scared of taking MCB 120L. I dropped out twice after first lecture before last winter I decided to stick around and face it. I didn't like it much in the beginning, but it made a lot of sense. I think it is a good lab to take for any major. I did not like Bis 102 much, but after the lab, I kind of understood what I was supposed to get out of Bis 102. But, I am happy cuz I am done.
I have a question on the side, wot major you are in or you were? Have you heard anything about MCB 150L (Embryology) course. I am planning to take it in Fall and wish to get some feedback on it.

I am Cell Bio, gonna graduate after this summer. We don't have to take the P-chem nor 120L but we are required to take the most lab classes of the 3 MCB majors.

As for MCB 150, def. try to take it with Ben Edwards and avoid Armstrong if you can. Edwards only teaches at 8 in the morning and is monotenous, which sucks, but he goes through a lot less material than Armstrong and will also repeat the information at least 3X. E.g. He will tell you in the beginning of the class that "notochord is made of mesoderm", and then after 30 min he will say it again. Most likely, in the beginning of the next class he will repeat the same thing as well.

I took Edwards instead of Armstrong, but from what I heard, Armstrong's tests are a lot harder than Edwards and he is also not as good of a teacher, although Edwards isn't good either.

Oh, 150 also comes with a lab class, which is quite interesting. You will be breaking open shells of live unborn chicken, putting them without their shells onto petri dish, incubate them and monitor their development which is pretty cool.

I am Cell Bio, gonna graduate after this summer. We don't have to take the P-chem nor 120L but we are required to take the most lab classes of the 3 MCB majors.

As for MCB 150, def. try to take it with Ben Edwards and avoid Armstrong if you can. Edwards only teaches at 8 in the morning and is monotenous, which sucks, but he goes through a lot less material than Armstrong and will also repeat the information at least 3X. E.g. He will tell you in the beginning of the class that "notochord is made of mesoderm", and then after 30 min he will say it again. Most likely, in the beginning of the next class he will repeat the same thing as well.

I took Edwards instead of Armstrong, but from what I heard, Armstrong's tests are a lot harder than Edwards and he is also not as good of a teacher, although Edwards isn't good either.

Oh, 150 also comes with a lab class, which is quite interesting. You will be breaking open shells of live unborn chicken, putting them without their shells onto petri dish, incubate them and monitor their development which is pretty cool.

thanks for your feedback. The campus is going to offer this course only in Fall starting now. Armstrong is teaching the lectures and Edwards lab, that's the only option there. Do you know if the class itself is doable? I will be taking MiC 102 L at the same time and NPB 114. The only thing I am scared of is getting up early and drive for 1:20 hour to get to the class at 8 am. I am not a morning person, but will do my best. These are going to be the main science courses during fall for me.
Thanks again!

thanks for your feedback. The campus is going to offer this course only in Fall starting now. Armstrong is teaching the lectures and Edwards lab, that's the only option there. Do you know if the class itself is doable? I will be taking MiC 102 L at the same time and NPB 114. The only thing I am scared of is getting up early and drive for 1:20 hour to get to the class at 8 am. I am not a morning person, but will do my best. These are going to be the main science courses during fall for me.
Thanks again!

Wow...so I guess you don't live in Davis? Jesus, 80 min drive to school means you have to wake up at like 5:30 Mon-Thur just to get to class on time?????

I think MCB 150 is def. doable if you put the time into it. I actually think its a pretty darn easy class, easier than most upper division courses I've taken besides Bis 101 and 104. I would def. recommend that you go to class everyday though and not skip it, because the class itself is packed with info.

I don't know about NPB 114, but I heard Mic 102 is not hard either so I think you have a reasonable load, just try your best!

so davis students...if you had to do it all over again (being predent and all) what would you have done differently in your years as an undergrad at davis?

Wow...so I guess you don't live in Davis? Jesus, 80 min drive to school means you have to wake up at like 5:30 Mon-Thur just to get to class on time?????

I think MCB 150 is def. doable if you put the time into it. I actually think its a pretty darn easy class, easier than most upper division courses I've taken besides Bis 101 and 104. I would def. recommend that you go to class everyday though and not skip it, because the class itself is packed with info.

I don't know about NPB 114, but I heard Mic 102 is not hard either so I think you have a reasonable load, just try your best!
thank you for your timely response. I am not scared of NPB 114. I am pretty sure I will love the class cuz I love the subject and the teacher I heard is really good in teaching too. I have taken Mic 102 lecture and am going to take the lab only. I heard Dr. Mann has made it harder since last winter. He also has a quota of students who to give "A" too. I personally don't like the quota system. But, you have given me hope that I can do MCB 150 and MCB 150L. And, no doubt I will put my best effort in all of the courses. Thank you for the encouragement.:love:

so davis students...if you had to do it all over again (being predent and all) what would you have done differently in your years as an undergrad at davis?

uninstall starcraft and CS from my computer.
wished i was single.
switched from engineering major to the sciences asap so i don't have to be suck with math 21x, math 22x, phy 9x, and engineering courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too!

I went to UCD till my 2nd year, transferred to CAL. Thank god, GPA transferred over here :thumbup:. Dunno anything about upper div classes, but I did poorly on Bio 1B there. Music 10 and FST10 were easy :). Was Biomedical engineering major there, and bioengineering major at Cal. anyone from ucd reading this, haha dont think about transfering if you ever were thinking. Cal is hard. really.

Me too!

I went to UCD till my 2nd year, transferred to CAL. Thank god, GPA transferred over here :thumbup:. Dunno anything about upper div classes, but I did poorly on Bio 1B there. Music 10 and FST10 were easy :). Was Biomedical engineering major there, and bioengineering major at Cal. anyone from ucd reading this, haha dont think about transfering if you ever were thinking. Cal is hard. really.

How did you work that out? Isn't it really difficult to transfer between campuses?

Me too!

Wait. You said 'thank god you transfered' but then you are telling UCD students NOT to transfer :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wait. You said 'thank god you transfered' but then you are telling UCD students NOT to transfer :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I think s/he means thank god that his/her grades from uc davis transferred to cal because if they didn't, then his/her gpa would be lower?

Me too!

i have a feeling like i might know you. hmmm??? :scratching head:

updated:
nevermind... i just recalled that the one i know isn't engineering.

I think s/he means thank god that his/her grades from uc davis transferred to cal because if they didn't, then his/her gpa would be lower?

I see. How did I miss that?:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I see. How did I miss that?:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

haha. I dunno how I got into Cal from UCD. my friend from UCLA also got into Cal with 3.3 IB major GPA. I actually didnt do any extracurricular other than volunteering at a community church as a teacher. I was Bioengineering major. I had 3.8 at UCD. my gpa dropped to 3.55. :(

Just wondering about the decision process about whether or not to join PDS? Since Davis is the top feeder school for UOP (besides the Stockton UOP campus) and also a top feeder for UCSF I am assuming that ALL Davis students would love to attend one of these schools and they realize that they have a great chance due to UCD's reputation at these schools for well-preparing predents. Having said this, for those who didn't join PDS (60%+ of UCD predents don't) what "pros" and "cons" did you weigh before deciding not to join. When I was advised by UCSF and UOP admissions to join, ( you can read the same advice on UOP's website) - I joined immediately, figuring that it would look pretty bad if I couldn't take their advice concerning such a small committment. I am helping them reach out and advertise to those who aren't interested in PDS and I would love some feedback on "WHY NOT JOIN PDS?" Are there "negatives" that I don't know about besides the $25 which gets you monthly free pizza and a tee-shirt?

I thought it was a bit pointless because during my time I felt that the club wasn't really doing anything. No meetings or activities. I felt that the leaders of the club were there just to have it on their respective applications.

I thought it was a bit pointless because during my time I felt that the club wasn't really doing anything. No meetings or activities. I felt that the leaders of the club were there just to have it on their respective applications.

to StayinNCali:
i sort of agree with you Fonz. i was in the pharmacy club. that was before I decided to go to dental. as far as what I can tell about pharmacy club, we didn't do much. you can get equal or better exposure to any field just by walking into a school or a clinic and tell them you want to observe or help out. plus, most club members tend to be less supportive than members in a frat or sor because attendance at events are not mandated.

So your decision was largely dependent on your impression of the organization of the group? Anything else that would have attracted you?

So your decision was largely dependent on your impression of the organization of the group? Anything else that would have attracted you?

don't get me wrong. like any club, it's great for those that don't know where to look. therefore, I would have loved to join PDS. it's just that i ran out of time.

ditto! i felt the same way during those meetings. i still have my officer position in the pre-med club from my sophomore year back when i was pre-med. imo, we do a lot more (in terms of holding community service events, etc.) than PDS or the pre-pharm club (i know this because i had a friend who used to be president of it).

and response to earlier: yes! straight biochem major here. i'm a 4th year.

I don't really remember PDS ever really helping in getting involved in the profession, but the club did help when I was applying for schools. I attended a session on how to fill out the application. There were also guest speakers from different schools that came to talk about their dental school as well as representatives from the armed service to talk about their scholarship. Nonetheless, it would show the dental schools that you are actually interested in the profession and didn't apply on a whim.

I thought this past year of PDS was really good. There were a lot more community service opportunities that the club offered this year compared to previous years. Also, all of the workshops (co-sponsored by the Advising Services) were always incredibly helpful (you didn't need to be a member to attend those, though). There was usually enough pizza for everybody, too (and it wasn't always Little Caesar's!), and it's always nice to stress out about dental school with fellow pre-dents. I thought the club was a lot more social this year, which is cool if you're into that sort of thing.

There's this group that was created this past year, Spreading Smiles, which works closely with PDS. It's a great program. The group flies to third world countries and helps the people there with basic dental needs. I didn't participate in it (had finals the week they went), but everybody who went said it was a great, eye-opening experience, and through it they were truly able to appreciate the importance of dentistry. They're always at PDS meetings, so if you go to the meetings you should check it out. I'm not sure if very many pre-dents would've found out about it without PDS.

I say for the price of a year's membership, which isn't that much, it's pretty worth it. The club keeps you well-informed and well-fed (you can pick which is more important for you). Also, if you participate in enough of the community service events and go to enough meetings, you can become an "Honorable Member" which grants you that sweet title (for applications) and a cool t-shirt. PDS was a good outlet for service opportunities, and hopefully it still is this year (I wouldn't know since I just graduated). I couldn't think of any major negatives since I think most of them were wiped away by the quality of this year's club.

I also took a workload class "English - College Writing". I checked my sac city college transcript, and for sure, it is there as english. I guess we can use it as our english requirement as well.

I thought this past year of PDS was really good. There were a lot more community service opportunities that the club offered this year compared to previous years. Also, all of the workshops (co-sponsored by the Advising Services) were always incredibly helpful (you didn't need to be a member to attend those, though). There was usually enough pizza for everybody, too (and it wasn't always Little Caesar's!), and it's always nice to stress out about dental school with fellow pre-dents. I thought the club was a lot more social this year, which is cool if you're into that sort of thing.

There's this group that was created this past year, Spreading Smiles, which works closely with PDS. It's a great program. The group flies to third world countries and helps the people there with basic dental needs. I didn't participate in it (had finals the week they went), but everybody who went said it was a great, eye-opening experience, and through it they were truly able to appreciate the importance of dentistry. They're always at PDS meetings, so if you go to the meetings you should check it out. I'm not sure if very many pre-dents would've found out about it without PDS.

I say for the price of a year's membership, which isn't that much, it's pretty worth it. The club keeps you well-informed and well-fed (you can pick which is more important for you). Also, if you participate in enough of the community service events and go to enough meetings, you can become an "Honorable Member" which grants you that sweet title (for applications) and a cool t-shirt. PDS was a good outlet for service opportunities, and hopefully it still is this year (I wouldn't know since I just graduated). I couldn't think of any major negatives since I think most of them were wiped away by the quality of this year's club.

With a UOP and a UCSF invite already- Smarter Ray has a lot of good advice for UCD pre dentals.

Hey, I'm currently attending UCD, class of 2009. I just joined the PDS this year, and I'm a 3rd year student. It looks like they are trying to improve the club a lot more. Thats the feeling I got during our first meeting. I also know a DEM. He's a good friend of mine and an exhouse mate. I'm surprised there isn't more UCD predents on here. Even people from the PDS?

JOIN SIGMA MU DELTA, premed frat, I am UCB beta chapter gamma class :)

Anyway, did everyone here send the "SCC Workload" transcript to AADSAS as well?

Don't you think Davis should have their own D-school? It would make sense agree? I mean they got a med school and vet(well kinda related) and tons of their students want to pursue dentistry it seems. It would probably be one kick ass D-school :thumbup:

Don't you think Davis should have their own D-school? It would make sense agree? I mean they got a med school and vet(well kinda related) and tons of their students want to pursue dentistry it seems. It would probably be one kick ass D-school :thumbup:

Word.

Hi guys! Fellow aggie here.

Just filling out the UCSF secondary, what are you putting for the biochemistry section on Form A?

Thanks!

same question here! Fonz' suggestion earlier in the thread doesn't fit on this years app...

I'm most likely going to davis as transfer ^_^ signing a transfer guarantee in 2 weeks... but I dont know which major to pick either biology w/ NPB or just Cell biology. Ive talked to a couple of people still don't know which to pick both seem great and enjoyable. Anyone from davis have any more suggestions?

I'm most likely going to davis as transfer ^_^ signing a transfer guarantee in 2 weeks... but I dont know which major to pick either biology w/ NPB or just Cell biology. Ive talked to a couple of people still don't know which to pick both seem great and enjoyable. Anyone from Davis have any more suggestions?
Study what you are most interested in because a BS in either will equally qualify you for dental school. I went EXB which is now the fastest growing major because it guarantees you ANATOMY with Dr. Gross. That class is by far the best class for any pre-health major to take and extremely applicable to everyday life.:nod: The pace and breadth of the class is also a great preparation for dental school studies.

I'm most likely going to davis as transfer ^_^ signing a transfer guarantee in 2 weeks... but I dont know which major to pick either biology w/ NPB or just Cell biology. Ive talked to a couple of people still don't know which to pick both seem great and enjoyable. Anyone from davis have any more suggestions?

I majored in NPB in Davis. It was a great major and I think it really prepares me for D- school and bio in DAT. If you have any questions regarding this major, you can pm me.

2004 Davis grad, BS in Psych. I am a D1 at Loma Linda University. I loved Davis, but I loved it too much. Got too involved in extracurriculars and suffered a low GPA. Took classes at Cal St. L.A. to bring the GPA up and worked as a dental assistant for 3 years. Getting into dental school was an uphill battle, but I think it was totally worth it. I agree with the previous poster that Gross Anatomy was a great class. It was my favorite. And it seemed like PDS was just a way to get some EC's, in my opinion. Anyone involved in College Life, UCC, or AGO?

Aww..I miss Davis and I loved Gross Anatomy w/ Professor Gross! Best class ever!

2007 grad, B.S. in N.P.B. I actually know a few people from DEM and SMD! If it just so happens that you join one of them, I believe they have a lot of information regarding the overall health professions.

Last edited:
i miss davis. it was def a more welcoming community than berkeley... i remember everyone using the same data for che 118 C lab because everyone messed up except for one group. lol.

p.s. don't say you wish you were single tekstyle or i'm going to tell her! :p

YAY Davis! I went to Davis high (class of 04) and UCD (class of 08)! I knew there were a lot of predents at Davis... but i didnt know there were so many on SDN! I loved Davis and I really hope wherever I go to dental school is just as wonderful! =)