Any UCI undergrads here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the Undergrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

It seems like I'm the only undergrad overhere and the only one plannin on attendin UCI...

Any current UCI undergrads overhere? How abt those who've already graduated from UCI? Anybody....? (I expect some since this is a med board and UCI is uci=university of chinese immigrants :laugh: No offence..I'm asian myself )

Well if there are any,

-Whats your overall opinion of the education at UCI?

-Hows the social life? (Im totally alien to irvine)

-How are the dorms ?

-How many upper div units are there for Bio. and Psych?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Undergrad,

I'm a UCI undergrad.. well, at least for another 4 weeks 'til graduation... To answer some of your questions. 1. Overall education is very satisfying personally. I doubled in neurobio and econ and am able to finish in 4 years. If you're gonna double in Bio and Psych, which is a pretty popular choice around UCI, then your load should be easier cuz some psych classes count as bio also. Check out the bio website and bio.uci.edu for further info. The competitiveness is there, but I doubt it's to the level of UCLA or SD. So less cut-throat pressure means you're more free to do other stuffs, like research, clubs, student gov't or just hanging out. I don't feel that I miss anything academically. I felt prepared for the MCAT. I think your education really depends on you. If you challenge yourself, UCI will give you the opportunities to do so.

2. Social life. It's a commuter schools so I think most social activities take place off-campus. Honestly, Irvine is a great place to study but not to party. Too quiet, too green. My friends and I usually drive to LA for clubbing. Frats also hold regular parties every quarter, although those can be pretty weird some times. Free sneak previews of new movies on campus, plays, dance, concerts, the Improv., Spectrum, the Block, bands at Bren Events Center, Orange County Performing Arts if you're into operas and musicals,Corona Del mar beach is 5 minutes away, literally, sailing classes. You'll find things to do. Check out our new gym, the ARC.

3. Dorms. I commute so can't really speak from personal experience. But UCI just built new dorms so housing should be more available. Try to get Campus Village apartments if and when you're qualified for the lottery. They're nicer than the dorms and way way way cheaper than private apartments.

4. Upper division courses. For Bio, at least for my year, you're required to take 4 upper division classes and 3 upper div. labs. The easier labs are Physio and cell.

More questions? PM me. Good luck!

Originally posted by starryeye81
Hi Undergrad,

I'm a UCI undergrad.. well, at least for another 4 weeks 'til graduation... To answer some of your questions. 1. Overall education is very satisfying personally. I doubled in neurobio and econ and am able to finish in 4 years. If you're gonna double in Bio and Psych, which is a pretty popular choice around UCI, then your load should be easier cuz some psych classes count as bio also. Check out the bio website and bio.uci.edu for further info. The competitiveness is there, but I doubt it's to the level of UCLA or SD. So less cut-throat pressure means you're more free to do other stuffs, like research, clubs, student gov't or just hanging out. I don't feel that I miss anything academically. I felt prepared for the MCAT. I think your education really depends on you. If you challenge yourself, UCI will give you the opportunities to do so.

2. Social life. It's a commuter schools so I think most social activities take place off-campus. Honestly, Irvine is a great place to study but not to party. Too quiet, too green. My friends and I usually drive to LA for clubbing. Frats also hold regular parties every quarter, although those can be pretty weird some times. Free sneak previews of new movies on campus, plays, dance, concerts, the Improv., Spectrum, the Block, bands at Bren Events Center, Orange County Performing Arts if you're into operas and musicals,Corona Del mar beach is 5 minutes away, literally, sailing classes. You'll find things to do. Check out our new gym, the ARC.

3. Dorms. I commute so can't really speak from personal experience. But UCI just built new dorms so housing should be more available. Try to get Campus Village apartments if and when you're qualified for the lottery. They're nicer than the dorms and way way way cheaper than private apartments.

4. Upper division courses. For Bio, at least for my year, you're required to take 4 upper division classes and 3 upper div. labs. The easier labs are Physio and cell.

More questions? PM me. Good luck!

Thanks! I have some questions, but I'll PM you. Expect one from me by, say, tomorrow? (need a night to rethink some things:p)

Any other uci anteaters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hows it going?
Im currently a sophomore at UCI (Basically in no-mans land) just trying to survive.

All in all, the school is pretty good. Faculty is great. Of course you have a few bad apples, but that's with any schools.

The social life, like mentioned before can be dull at times. The campus is empty on the weekends and basically after 4PM on weekdays. But if you want to party and stuff, its available.

The dorms are allright. Depends on where you live. I was in Mesa Court, which was right before they built the new dorm additions to Mesa Court so it was kind of weak. Middle Earth is closer to the Bio classes, but its a lot more compact. Mesa is a lot more scenic but its a bit out of the ways.

Originally posted by the Undergrad
-Hows the social life? (Im totally alien to irvine)

Irvine? Social life? Hmm...I think not.

I'm an anteater! I have to agree though, there is 0 social life in Irvine. Somehow I still have managed to find the parties, they're all in LA. It's a great environment for studying for the MCAT though! I had no distractions at all ;) . Academics are great I think and less cut-throat competition means more time at office hours and more chances to really get to know your professors. There still is competition though as by Bio Sci policy, classes are graded on a curve.

alum here.

i feel that the education was good and felt well prepared for the med school prerequisites and MCAT. i wouldn't know about the social life in irvine...i'm a commuter from tustin. thus, i have no clue about the dorms. all i know is that you'll save tons of money by dorming and know people right off the bat on the first day of classes. buy the uci school catalog...it'll answer those questions about units and requirements.

good luck at uci. remember...it doesn't matter which school you go to, but what you do w/ your time there.

Q: How many upper div units are there for Bio. and Psych?

You are require to take 5 lower division, 5-core upper division classes (bio 100WL, 107, 108, 109, and 110), 4 upper division electives, and 3 upper division labs for the bio degree. Please see: www.bio.uci.edu

You are require to take 3 lower and 13 upper division classes for the psychology degree. Please see: www.cogsci.uci.edu

I believe 6 classes overlap between the 2 majors. It is feasible to double major and graduate in 4 years at UCI. I rarely had trouble adding any class.

I am very satisfy with my experience at UCI, both academically and socially. I majored in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology and Psychology, so feel free to PM me.