1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

*Any* understanding for job, etc?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jace's mom, Apr 21, 2007.

1. jace's mom

jace's mom Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm working 60 hours per week teaching school, taking OCHEM this semester, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing, etc, plus I'm married with a family. I study every day for the MCAT (at least one hour and one chapter/practice set per day), but I'm still going to be very proud of myself if I pull off a 30. (I haven't taken physics in almost 8 years, for Pete's sake!)

My latest practice score (AAMC 3R, taken under "actual conditions") was a 26, and I'm pretty sure I'll earn at least that on the real thing. I would be quite happy to go to a DO school; in fact, my top pick is TCOM. I guess my question (plea, hope) is whether or not there might be even the slightest consideration for everything else I have going that prohibits me from studying all-out for the MCAT. My undergrad GPA is 3.9, grad is 3.8...all I want is the interview...I can rock their socks off at the interview. :cool:

I really do know that it's going to be okay, but I live and will apply in Texas, which is SO competitive. I think I'm just getting discouraged. Could we just wave a magic wand so that May 31st will already be over...and I could earn a 43? ;)

Any uplifting comments you might have for an old, tired (but extremely driven) nontrad would be helpful!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The good thing is Texas actually isn't all that competitive. Good Luck!

4. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    from what I hear, a 26 should be no problem for D.O. schools

5. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Those stats are good for DO schools, which also tend to be more sympathetic to non-trads. I seriously admire you for being able to juggle so many balls at once. You situation is something you can talk about in your essays and in interviews to help explain a lower MCAT. Aiming for just one med school is a risky gamble. I don't really know how sympathetic Texas MD schools are going to be towards your situation. If you apply broadly to a bunch of DO schools, I'd say you have a good shot.