1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

*Any* understanding for job, etc?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jace's mom, Apr 21, 2007.

1. jace's mom

jace's mom Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm working 60 hours per week teaching school, taking OCHEM this semester, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing, etc, plus I'm married with a family. I study every day for the MCAT (at least one hour and one chapter/practice set per day), but I'm still going to be very proud of myself if I pull off a 30. (I haven't taken physics in almost 8 years, for Pete's sake!)

My latest practice score (AAMC 3R, taken under "actual conditions") was a 26, and I'm pretty sure I'll earn at least that on the real thing. I would be quite happy to go to a DO school; in fact, my top pick is TCOM. I guess my question (plea, hope) is whether or not there might be even the slightest consideration for everything else I have going that prohibits me from studying all-out for the MCAT. My undergrad GPA is 3.9, grad is 3.8...all I want is the interview...I can rock their socks off at the interview. :cool:

I really do know that it's going to be okay, but I live and will apply in Texas, which is SO competitive. I think I'm just getting discouraged. Could we just wave a magic wand so that May 31st will already be over...and I could earn a 43? ;)

Any uplifting comments you might have for an old, tired (but extremely driven) nontrad would be helpful!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The good thing is Texas actually isn't all that competitive. Good Luck!

4. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    from what I hear, a 26 should be no problem for D.O. schools

5. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Those stats are good for DO schools, which also tend to be more sympathetic to non-trads. I seriously admire you for being able to juggle so many balls at once. You situation is something you can talk about in your essays and in interviews to help explain a lower MCAT. Aiming for just one med school is a risky gamble. I don't really know how sympathetic Texas MD schools are going to be towards your situation. If you apply broadly to a bunch of DO schools, I'd say you have a good shot.