*Any* understanding for job, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jace's mom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working 60 hours per week teaching school, taking OCHEM this semester, volunteering at the hospital, shadowing, etc, plus I'm married with a family. I study every day for the MCAT (at least one hour and one chapter/practice set per day), but I'm still going to be very proud of myself if I pull off a 30. (I haven't taken physics in almost 8 years, for Pete's sake!)

My latest practice score (AAMC 3R, taken under "actual conditions") was a 26, and I'm pretty sure I'll earn at least that on the real thing. I would be quite happy to go to a DO school; in fact, my top pick is TCOM. I guess my question (plea, hope) is whether or not there might be even the slightest consideration for everything else I have going that prohibits me from studying all-out for the MCAT. My undergrad GPA is 3.9, grad is 3.8...all I want is the interview...I can rock their socks off at the interview. :cool:

I really do know that it's going to be okay, but I live and will apply in Texas, which is SO competitive. I think I'm just getting discouraged. Could we just wave a magic wand so that May 31st will already be over...and I could earn a 43? ;)

Any uplifting comments you might have for an old, tired (but extremely driven) nontrad would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

from what I hear, a 26 should be no problem for D.O. schools

Those stats are good for DO schools, which also tend to be more sympathetic to non-trads. I seriously admire you for being able to juggle so many balls at once. You situation is something you can talk about in your essays and in interviews to help explain a lower MCAT. Aiming for just one med school is a risky gamble. I don't really know how sympathetic Texas MD schools are going to be towards your situation. If you apply broadly to a bunch of DO schools, I'd say you have a good shot.