Any University of Florida students????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovelylaydee

Ilovelylaydee
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey RX Gators....I just got my acceptance into UF... for the class of 2009... just wanted to ask how your 1PD year was?...

any challenges?...
any suprises?...
anything I should look out for?...
anything you guys wish you've known before your 1PD year??...
and also should I take Biochemistry over the summer just to be safe?...
and how different is it compared to the main campus and satellite campuses?

.... any feedback would be greatly appreciated!.... =o) Thanks to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi New Gator,

Time management is the key. I considered year one to be only slightly more challenging than my last semester of undergrad when I took 21 credit hours of all science classes with a lab. If you work, you'll need to cut it down to around 10 hours a week. Once you get used to the pace, you'll be fine. The pace gets worse the second year. The 1PD classes aren't hard, there's just lots of material.

Surprises - Microbiology was much easier than my undergrad micro class. Biochem was harder because it was multiple-item-multiple choice where undergrad was essay format.

There's no sense suffering through biochem over the summer, then suffering through it again. The UF instructor is bad, everyone does poorly and there is a big curve. This is the only class with a big curve throughout your time at UF.

I think it is more difficult to do well at the satellite campuses. The campus directors and staff are very strict compared to Gainesville. Also, in Gainesville, you are done with lectures by 1pm. The rest of the day is free, except for a weekly lab session. The lectures are delayed by 3 hours for the satellite campuses. But, by the time they are available, we are on campus for classes. Sometimes, I'll get home at 8pm and I'll still have all the Gainesville lectures to watch. I get up early and watch the previous day's lectures in the AM. You'll also be assigned to a practicum site. In Gainesville, you'll be assigned somewhere in the city of Gainesville. I'm not sure about the other campuses, but in St. Pete we can get assigned anywhere in 5 different counties. Lots more driving = less time to study and get your projects done.

Exam taking is better at the satellite campuses. I took my therapeutics exam in Gainesville last Wednesday night. You are in a big auditorium with those little desk things that you fold down. I felt very cramped. In St. Pete, we have comfy office chairs and tables. We sit every other person, so there's lots of room to spread out. I like to keep my exam and my scantron not on top of each other.

Other things: They tell you to buy a laptop, but you'll never use it. They provide laptops for presentations. If you already have a computer, you're fine. Don't spend the extra $$. You can get by without buying textbooks. You may need to look up something once in a while for a presentation, but you can borrow someone elses for a day. 98% of the exam material will come from the power point slides that are posted on line.

dgroulx said:
Hi New Gator,

Time management is the key. I considered year one to be only slightly more challenging than my last semester of undergrad when I took 21 credit hours of all science classes with a lab. If you work, you'll need to cut it down to around 10 hours a week. Once you get used to the pace, you'll be fine. The pace gets worse the second year. The 1PD classes aren't hard, there's just lots of material.

Surprises - Microbiology was much easier than my undergrad micro class. Biochem was harder because it was multiple-item-multiple choice where undergrad was essay format.

There's no sense suffering through biochem over the summer, then suffering through it again. The UF instructor is bad, everyone does poorly and there is a big curve. This is the only class with a big curve throughout your time at UF.

I think it is more difficult to do well at the satellite campuses. The campus directors and staff are very strict compared to Gainesville. Also, in Gainesville, you are done with lectures by 1pm. The rest of the day is free, except for a weekly lab session. The lectures are delayed by 3 hours for the satellite campuses. But, by the time they are available, we are on campus for classes. Sometimes, I'll get home at 8pm and I'll still have all the Gainesville lectures to watch. I get up early and watch the previous day's lectures in the AM. You'll also be assigned to a practicum site. In Gainesville, you'll be assigned somewhere in the city of Gainesville. I'm not sure about the other campuses, but in St. Pete we can get assigned anywhere in 5 different counties. Lots more driving = less time to study and get your projects done.

Exam taking is better at the satellite campuses. I took my therapeutics exam in Gainesville last Wednesday night. You are in a big auditorium with those little desk things that you fold down. I felt very cramped. In St. Pete, we have comfy office chairs and tables. We sit every other person, so there's lots of room to spread out. I like to keep my exam and my scantron not on top of each other.

Other things: They tell you to buy a laptop, but you'll never use it. They provide laptops for presentations. If you already have a computer, you're fine. Don't spend the extra $$. You can get by without buying textbooks. You may need to look up something once in a while for a presentation, but you can borrow someone elses for a day. 98% of the exam material will come from the power point slides that are posted on line.

Hey Dana,

Thanks soo much for the insight... I am very excited to attend the University of Florida.... by the way which campus are u at?... they have me accepted as a randomization.. so I will find out at the end of April which campus I will be assigned to.... I am very nervous about this journey... I am hoping to do well... and also they said I have to buy a laptop...( you said COMPUTER is good enough right?) just making sure... because I want to prepare for all this b4 school starts...

and also about financial aid (FAFSA)... for the 1PD did you fill out 3rd year undergrad?... I was sorta confused about that part... anyhow...

So it is typical?... an exam every week?...
( is there a white coat ceremony?)

What is the hardest class you been in so far?

Any professors to avoid?...
Well I know your probably studying pretty hard...
But keep up the good work hunn...

ttyl...

Members don't see this ad :)
ilovelylaydee said:
Hey Dana,

Thanks soo much for the insight... I am very excited to attend the University of Florida.... by the way which campus are u at?... they have me accepted as a randomization.. so I will find out at the end of April which campus I will be assigned to.... I am very nervous about this journey... I am hoping to do well... and also they said I have to buy a laptop...( you said COMPUTER is good enough right?) just making sure... because I want to prepare for all this b4 school starts...

and also about financial aid (FAFSA)... for the 1PD did you fill out 3rd year undergrad?... I was sorta confused about that part... anyhow...

So it is typical?... an exam every week?...
( is there a white coat ceremony?)

What is the hardest class you been in so far?

Any professors to avoid?...
Well I know your probably studying pretty hard...
But keep up the good work hunn...

ttyl...

I'm just finishing my 2nd year at the St Petersburg Campus.

The only time I brought my laptop to school is when they asked us to bring them one day. We didn't use them. They just wanted to see how many people actually bought laptops.

I had an undergrad degree, so I filled out my FAFSA accordingly. If you don't have a bachelors, you are classified as undergrad during your first year at UF only. So, fill out your FAFSA as an undergrad. You also still get your Bright Futures & any other scholarships during your first year.

There are exams most weeks and quizzes every week. Some weeks may have 2 exams.

The white coat ceremony takes place near the end of your 1st year. It is coming up in a few weeks for the 1st year students. It's a big ceremony, where you invite your family. It's a lot like graduation, only they give you a white coat instead of a diploma.

You can't pick and choose professors. There is only one section of each class to register for.

My hardest class during my first year was Physiological Basis of Disease. I made B's in both semesters, but never got a single A on any exam. My hardest class during my 2nd year is Pharmacotherapy. I haven't made any A's on exams in that class either. I think I'm just a solid B student. Not good enough for Rho Chi, but good enough to not have to repeat any courses.

dgroulx said:

There wasn't a curve for this year. He did give you the option of 5 points of extra credit that was tacked on at the end so it would bump your final grade half a letter grade though.

Hi!! Congrats on your acceptance! I am a 1PD at the orlando/apopka campus along with James (imperialfrog). I think that each campus has a distinctive personality. The 1PD class in Orlando has gelled very very well and for the most part we're all pretty close. We do lots of stuff together and see each other quite a bit outside of school. I was very very worried about attending a satellite campus but for me I know this was the right place to be. I don't find it very challenging at all compared to being in on a normal campus. Most Gainesville students don't go to class either (they usually watch the lectures just like us). Also, our campus directors aren't that hard in Orlando. I actually think they might be more lax. Our campus is pretty laid back and if you move to Orlando you'll never be too far away from anything for school. That's a major difference between Orlando and St. Pete. I know many more people compete a long ways to St. Pete, whereas most of us in Orlando live here. I think that's definately been a big factor as to why we got out more and do more things together. Overall, my biggest recommendation is to get involved!! Also, I don't necessarily think it would be a bad idea to take Biochem. If you have a good professor in the summer, it'll make your 1st semester go much easier. Like James said we didn't get a curve, in fact we haven't gotten a curve at all this year (some classes last year got a curve b/c the class avg was low but ours has been to high). Feel free to pm me anytime and good luck!

Although I think I got a black eye from todays dodgeball game with some of the class.

The distance learning setup is pretty good. I wouldn't want to do it any other way because I'm more of a nite person. I like rolling out of bed at around 3 PM and watching lectures at midnite. If you have the discipline to keep up on the material and you don't feel the need to ask the professors about every single subject it's pretty nice. Sometimes it does take researching the answers to your questions, but that's the way I've tackled school all my life so I don't count that against it. Even so, the professors, or classmates, do get back to you pretty quick if you're stumped on somthing.

Great!!~* thanks to all for your insights towards my 1PD year of Pharmacy school....

It seems to me that the overall message is that ALL of you DO think differently, in regards to PHARMACY school... depending on different circumstances/experience that each one of you have faced...

I thank you again for all your advice! I will definitely PM you if I have further questions.... Good luck to all of you in pursuing your Pharm D.

oh yeah... and wish me luck with this Biochemistry professor! he sounds aweful... but hey! maybe he'll change when I get there.. =o)

Nope. The students one year ahead of me warned me about him and he is still there. I wish they would just add biochem and genetics to the prerequisite list and get rid of the class. I didn't learn anything new.

Most students in St. Pete have moved to apartments nearby and are rooming together. Football is the activity of choice on campus. There's keg parties, etc. All the girls in KE hang out and do their own thing. I don't think I've seen any of them at football. One of the guys at school calls them the drones when he sees them prancing about in their mini-skirts and high heels. To each his own. I'm a jeans and sneakers type of person.

My experience is a little different. I'm not giving up my house with deer grazing in the backyard to move to the gridlock of Pinellas County. A classmate of mine also lives in the sticks. She'd rather drive longer to school and be closer to her horse. There's a big demand for pharmacists in rural Florida, so neither of us will have to move to find a job.

No one here has posted from Jacksonville, but they have a really cool campus. It's connected to Shands hospital, UF's medical hospital. They have really nice classrooms, too.

Good luck on what ever campus you end up at.

dgroulx said:
Nope. The students one year ahead of me warned me about him and he is still there. I wish they would just add biochem and genetics to the prerequisite list and get rid of the class. I didn't learn anything new.

Most students in St. Pete have moved to apartments nearby and are rooming together. Football is the activity of choice on campus. There's keg parties, etc. All the girls in KE hang out and do their own thing. I don't think I've seen any of them at football. One of the guys at school calls them the drones when he sees them prancing about in their mini-skirts and high heels. To each his own. I'm a jeans and sneakers type of person.

My experience is a little different. I'm not giving up my house with deer grazing in the backyard to move to the gridlock of Pinellas County. A classmate of mine also lives in the sticks. She'd rather drive longer to school and be closer to her horse. There's a big demand for pharmacists in rural Florida, so neither of us will have to move to find a job.

No one here has posted from Jacksonville, but they have a really cool campus. It's connected to Shands hospital, UF's medical hospital. They have really nice classrooms, too.

Good luck on what ever campus you end up at.
I was actually really unimpressed with the Jacksonville campus. I thought it was very old and rather antiquated. Not to mention that it's in a scary section. But like you said to each his own. Lots of people like it, I just would never move there. But that's probably b/c I'm not a big fan of Jacksonville to begin with. When we were up there we came across many strange people (and I'm not talking about students). I guess it just depends. I heard lots of people who hadn't really been to the Orlando campus say that it was a dump, but I actually enjoy it a lot. And I don't think it's a dump at all. Our buildings are pretty new and I like that we're out in the middle of nowhere. It's rather peaceful and the staff is great. I think overall, none of the campuses are all that bad it just depends on what you like.

okay gators.... What is the general requirements for attire when you go to school?.. and when do you get to dress up?... oh yah!!~* and also in your 1PD year how many presentations did you have to do?... and is it solo or in a group?... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no dress code for Orlando for the most part. The only time we have to wear the "uniform" (UF polo shirt and casual dress pants) is when we are doing something at an outside location like a community health screening. Most of the students wear it when they give presentations but it's not a requirement.

The first semester we did 4 group presentations in patho, 2 solo presentations in practicum, and 1 group one in biochem. This semester we had 2 group ones in patho, a group one in micro, and 1 solo one in practicum. On the group ones for patho you actually only present for half of them and do research on the other half though.

1. Did any of you received a C+ for Organic Chemistry II and still got into UF...? just wondering.. because my average in Organic II at this point is around a 82% ...after the final.. who knows what will happen... So is a C+ good enough for final admission?

2. And the CPR certification... umm.. I am taking the class next Saturday... ( 8 hours) yikes!!~* :sleep: ... when does the certicate expired? Do u have to take the course over every year?

3. Immunizations... umm.. are they really strict about this?... I just got vaccinated for Meningitis... and PPd... I think thats all I needed... but is it a MUST before you get admitted?

All feedbacks greatly appreciated!!~* :)

ilovelylaydee said:
1. Did any of you received a C+ for Organic Chemistry II and still got into UF...? just wondering.. because my average in Organic II at this point is around a 82% ...after the final.. who knows what will happen... So is a C+ good enough for final admission?

2. And the CPR certification... umm.. I am taking the class next Saturday... ( 8 hours) yikes!!~* :sleep: ... when does the certicate expired? Do u have to take the course over every year?

3. Immunizations... umm.. are they really strict about this?... I just got vaccinated for Meningitis... and PPd... I think thats all I needed... but is it a MUST before you get admitted?

All feedbacks greatly appreciated!!~* :)

1) I don't think they'll withdraw your acceptance over a C+.

2) Yes, it expires every year. The renewal class is not as long. My renewal class only had UF pharmacy students in it. It was a lot more fun with people you know.

3) They are strict about it. Just get all the shots that you need at once. You can get them for free at the health department.

Hey Gators... :)

I am assigned to the Orlando Campus for this upcoming Fall.... very excited!!~* any advice on the area?... I am kinda nervous about moving... anything I need to know b4 I get there?... thanks ppls....!!~*

Grats on the Orlando campus...you won't be disapointed. Trancelucent1 and I go there (2PDs next year unless our finals next week go horribly, horribly wrong) and we love it.

Check your PM.

Hey UF'ers (Orlando campus)... I received an email... stating that there will be 4 sessions of Q&A for incoming students... any idea how that goes?...and how long that will take?... :oops: Also during the summer, I get to buy used books for my 1PD.. is it a bargain... or should I just go to (half.com) where I usually get all my books?... I am very excited about visiting the campus.. I hope I get to enjoy it... as much as you guys do now!!!*~ :)

I didn't find the question and answer session all that useful but other people have. Questions specifically about classes will probably be better answered at the campus orientation. To be on the safe side you still might want to go to a Q&A session though.

For the books, go with a used one...ASP collects a few and sells them for 60% of new price...there should be a few available at the Q&A sessions. Halfprice sometimes has them for less though so check them out.

For 1st semester about the only useful book is for Dosage Forms. I think that most people barely cracked open their PBD text, I know I only looked up 1 or 2 things for extra credit questions but you could find the same info just about anywhere. Biochem notes came right from the text, but I did refer to it a little more than PBD. The text for PSR was useful for one test only so get a used one if you can.

:::begin hijack:::Hey James...I hope you didn't sell back your PSR book though, b/c apparently we need it a lot for another class (I think it's when we start SOAP notes). :::end of hijack:::

Trancelucent1 said:
:::begin hijack:::Hey James...I hope you didn't sell back your PSR book though, b/c apparently we need it a lot for another class (I think it's when we start SOAP notes). :::end of hijack:::

We did SOAP notes in both Med Useless and Communications. Both classes had their own book. I've never used my PSR book. It's still sitting on my shelf looking like new.

PS. Pam - change your signature line to say 2PD. :thumbup:

Nope, I like to hold on to my books for a while in case I can use them for another class. Still got them all.

Hmm...got to change my PD percentage too...unless I blacked out during one of the finals.

congrats trinh! i'm at the st. pete campus and i'm sure you'll like being at a distance campus site a lot. enjoy your summer and good luck! :)