Any URMs out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOUBLEDIGITSII

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a african -American 28 year old female. And med school has been on my brain since high school. I started taking college courses at 14 while going to high school. But then I had a baby at 16 so I dropped out of high school. Fortunately I tested out of high school and resumed college at 16.5 as a pre-med student. As a single mom however, my grades fluctuated. So here's the break dowm of my scores/GPA over the years:

Community college (science) 2.93
UCLA undergrad (neuroscience) 2.39
CSU Dominguez hills (master's in biology)3.5

MCAt 2002 17Q
MCAT 2004 21M
MCAT 2005 19L
MCAT 2006 25R

Currently I am a high school biology teacher in a inner city region. I have volunteer and strong research experience (traumatic brain injury), and strong LOR's.

I guess I want to know of any URM's that got in under extreme circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a african -American 28 year old female. And med school has been on my brain since high school. I started taking college courses at 14 while going to high school. But then I had a baby at 16 so I dropped out of high school. Fortunately I tested out of high school and resumed college at 16.5 as a pre-med student. As a single mom however, my grades fluctuated. So here's the break dowm of my scores/GPA over the years:

Community college (science) 2.93
UCLA undergrad (neuroscience) 2.39
CSU Dominguez hills (master's in biology)3.5

MCAt 2002 17Q
MCAT 2004 21M
MCAT 2005 19L
MCAT 2006 25R

Currently I am a high school biology teacher in a inner city region. I have volunteer and strong research experience (traumatic brain injury), and strong LOR's.

I guess I want to know of any URM's that got in under extreme circumstances?

I call BS. There is no way you can transfer to ucla with a 2.93 gpa from a CC. Try again TROLL.:cool:

for your info and ignorance...a student can transfer from a community college to a uc if they have an agreemmnet with the school and have taken the necessary courses. Anyways, I was speaking to URM's! go be negative somewhere else!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your URM status is important here, it probaly won't hurt but I believe that because your a non-trad applicant and it looks like your have some great EC's you should get in someplace.

I would say go DO. Your URM status and EC's are the only real things you have going for you. The UCLA undergrad gpa is likely going to sink you, as well as the sub 3.0 from CC. Only chance SHOULD be DO here. Good luck regardless of what you choose, though.

for your info and ignorance...a student can transfer from a community college to a uc if they have an agreemmnet with the school and have taken the necessary courses. Anyways, I was speaking to URM's! go be negative somewhere else!

Yeah its called transfering. I merely stated that UCLA requires transfers to have at least a 3.0 to transfer (may even be a 3.2).

I don't think your URM status is important here, it probaly won't hurt but I believe that because your a non-trad applicant and it looks like your have some great EC's you should get in someplace.
Im sorry, Ill have to disagree. No matter what your EC's are, a non-URM with a 2.39 undergrad gpa (they look at this much more than grad) and 25mcat would get in nowhere. Apply to the DO schools, maybe call a few MD programs to see if you have a chance there.

I would say go DO. Your URM status and EC's are the only real things you have going for you. The UCLA undergrad gpa is likely going to sink you, as well as the sub 3.0 from CC. Only chance SHOULD be DO here. Good luck regardless of what you choose, though.

Hes right, DO or even caribbean!

I wouldnt listen to these people. You DO have a very good shot at MD. Apply to all the HBCU's, they take chances and students who have lower GPA's and MCAT scores. They dont usually give chances to 2.4 low coming straight out of undergrad, but because you have a masters in biology and a pretty good GPA in your masters program, i'd say you have a very good shot. Also, your MCAT score of 25 is the score of the average matriculant here at Howard, so be selective about the schools you apply to and you stand a very good chance of getting in.

I wouldnt listen to these people. You DO have a very good shot at MD. Apply to all the HBCU's, they take chances and students who have lower GPA's and MCAT scores. They dont usually give chances to 2.4 low coming straight out of undergrad, but because you have a masters in biology and a pretty good GPA in your masters program, i'd say you have a very good shot. Also, your MCAT score of 25 is the score of the average matriculant here at Howard, so be selective about the schools you apply to and you stand a very good chance of getting in.

Dont forget moorhouse.

You have a shot somewhere esp DO.... If you can raise that MCAT to 30 you might even get into one of the UCs!!! What was your breakdown?

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I have applied to 2 HBUCs and non-HBUCs. 2 of my friends both had mcats under 25 (24 and 21) with less experiences and similar gpa's both got into Michigan state so I am hopeful. I am going to apply to a DO school in Vallejo also.

MCAT 2006: PS 7 BS 8 VS 10 Ws R

your MCAT and experiences are good enough. You have reasons to explain a low uGPA, and a good performance in your masters. Write good essays and collect solid LORs, and you should be in:thumbup:

I agree that you have a great shot. You have life experiences different than most medical applicants. You have shown dedication and perseverance in your life and your dream of becoming a doctor! You have shown academic improvement over the years.These skills will allow you to be a great physician. Good luck!

I agree that you have a great shot. You have life experiences different than most medical applicants. You have shown dedication and perseverance in your life and your dream of becoming a doctor! You have shown academic improvement over the years.These skills will allow you to be a great physician. Good luck!

I agree you have a good shot..I am going to throw a school out there because they like URMs and non-trads but people may call me crazy but I think you have an outside shot....University of Minnesota-Twin Cities...anyways best of luck...I think you have a shot right now and if you impove your MCAT to like a 28 youd be good for sure