Any UVA Students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thisjatti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I also posted this in HSDN but I don't know if many high schoolers will be able to help me out with this question, because you kind of have to attend the university in question to accurately respond to them

So I'm a junior, just starting to solidify my college intentions. UVA is definitely my #1 choice but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared of the level of intelligence expected there. Is it insanely hard for a premed?

If I worked nonstop would I be able to pull a 3.7 or higher?

What GPA do med schools see as commendable from a UVA grad?

Would going to tech and getting a better gpa be less impressive than a lower gpa at uva?

Assuming I get in, should I take all the intro courses as a gpa buffer or take the ap credit?

Is it hard to get leadership positins?

Is it competitive to shadow a doctor?

Is it hard to get on a good research team?

Is it hard to get into the neuroscience program (or should I just stick with a biology major?)

Thanks so much guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I also posted this in HSDN but I don't know if many high schoolers will be able to help me out with this question, because you kind of have to attend the university in question to accurately respond to them

So I'm a junior, just starting to solidify my college intentions. UVA is definitely my #1 choice but I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared of the level of intelligence expected there. Is it insanely hard for a premed?

If I worked nonstop would I be able to pull a 3.7 or higher?
At UVA, all you have to worry about is citing everything and anything that breaths in your essays. Otherwise its a state school, it is not populated by the insanely smart. And you could easily pull a 3.7 or higher. It's not difficult if you go about things properly, however it all depends on your work ethic and ability to plan out your schedule and time manage.

What GPA do med schools see as commendable from a UVA grad?
Contrary to popular belief your undergrad plays very little in the medical school admission process. So a 3.7+ from UVA like any other school will be the expected.

Would going to tech and getting a better gpa be less impressive than a lower gpa at uva?
Last time I checked Tech is supposed to have a lower overal gpa average then UVA. 3.2 at UVA is average gpa and 3.0 is average at tech. But again, both schools are relatively well known and its better to go where you believe you'll get a higher gpa.

Assuming I get in, should I take all the intro courses as a gpa buffer or take the ap credit?
Ap credits do not effect your Cgpa. Eh you'll take more then enough intro level classes to suffice your needs in your college general education requirements.

Is it hard to get leadership positins?
It depends, are you a social person? Leadership positions depend totally on you and your ability to work in a social setting.

Is it competitive to shadow a doctor?
Eh it is positive to shadow a doctor yes. Are you asking if its hard to shadow a doctor(s). I would say that it depends on the area and if you know some doctors and are on good level with them.

Is it hard to get on a good research team?
Not really. Being in relatively close location to NIH headquarters makes your life a lot easier. But you could just as easily go talk to your professors and see if they are doing research and help out. I know my psychology professor is the head of my research group on behavioral aspects.

Is it hard to get into the neuroscience program (or should I just stick with a biology major?)
I don't believe so. Neuroscience I believe might be a LEP ( limited enrollment program) so you might need to have a 3.0+ gpa to stay in it. Either way major in what you most truly enjoy. Personally I'm a pre-medical student and am majoring in psychology at UMD. I also have a friend who got accepted who majored in art history. SO emphasis on you not having to major in the hard science's ( unless you are extremely interested in those majors).

Thanks so much guys!!

Source for Gpa : http://gradeinflation.com/

Btw enjoy your high school experience. :)

Otherwise its a state school, it is not populated by the insanely smart. And you could easily pull a 3.7 or higher. It's not difficult if you go about things properly, however it all depends on your work ethic and ability to plan out your schedule and time manage.

UVA may just be a state school, but it's a pretty darn good one... US News ranks it on par with UCLA nationally among private/public schools, and it's been ranked 1 or 2 for public schools since they started those rankings. The valedictorian for my high school class went there, and we were a pretty competitive high school class (well, the top 20% was competitive. The rest... not so much). He's now studying law at Duke. It's also, from what I've heard, pretty difficult to get in, with only 1/4 or so of applicants gaining admission. Of course, I say this as someone who didn't apply there, and is so far removed from the college admissions process that I have no concept whether or not that is difficult. I went to my state school, which was required to accept me based on my GPA and SAT score.

That being said, all the UVA undergrads I've met (I've met a few, as I'll be going to UVA med school come August) all seem really accomplished. With the teaching hospital right there on campus, I can't imagine it being too terribly difficult to get in some shadowing, and I imagine the pre-med advising is great. You're not removed from medical schools like most colleges are. I have no idea the difficulty of the classes, though, so I can't help you there.