Any way of getting around this C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unmuzzled

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have a dilemma. I took a Spanish class b/w my Fresh and Soph year at a CC where I lived just for fun. I ended up missing the deadline for a Pass/NP grade and ended up with a C. I was doing pretty well in the class, but got busy around the time of the final and not knowing that I'd have to send in every single transcript at the time i figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Anyway, I've sent letters to the responsible parties at the CC asking them if I could change the transcript grade to a P with no avail. Further, I've tried calling AMCAS but the person I spoke to didn't really give me any other options.

Is there any sort of loophole where I can avoid sending this transcript to AMCAS? It wouldn't be a big deal if this was my only C, but my GPA isn't that great to begin with and I'm reapplying so I really wanted to clean up my record. Ironically, I ended up taking a full year of Spanish at my undergrad and getting A-'s all 3 quarters, but of course nobody's going to pay attention to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Members don't see this ad.

There's no way to not send in a grade to AMCAS. However, the fact that you got A-'s in other Spanish courses does show that you know what you were doing. The only other option would be to retake the class, and AMCAS will average the two grades together, so if you got an A on the retake it would average out to a "B" grade.

Sure, there's a loophole: don't send the transcript. However, that's unethical and would be a really crappy way to start off your medical career. Then again, nobody's stopping you. Unless they find out, which would suck more than having an extra "C" factored into your GPA.

The real question is, how much does this "C" hurt your GPA? What are we looking at with and without that annoying little grade? Is the GPA difference really that significant?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanks for the reply. unfortunately retaking it isn't an option bc I'm in a different city now.

Send it and move on. No big deal and there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

lol @ saqrfaraj. That's a very compelling train of thought. well done
thanks for the help guys, i guess i'll just send it in. at least it doesn't affect the science gpa

The only other option would be to retake the class, and AMCAS will average the two grades together, so if you got an A on the retake it would average out to a "B" grade.

False. Both grades would appear on your AMCAS application, and both would be factored into your GPA as separate classes.

There are many people on here who have C's in BCMP courses and still got into med school. If you were taking a course in CC to supplement your undergrad experience, they are going to be understanding of what happened. Presumably, it's quite clear you have a degree from more-reputable college X and a single C course from a 2 year institution...think about it.

It's also the perfect thing to just include one sentence about when 2ndaries ask you if there is anything you need to discuss about your grades.

False. Both grades would appear on your AMCAS application, and both would be factored into your GPA as separate classes.

Regardless, retaking courses does have its benefits. It's proof of improvement in the eyes of the ADCOM, shows a drive to succeed, and (despite what you say), will improve your GPA. Although, the boost will be no more significant than if you had taken any other non-related class of equal credit value. :D