Any wegmans pharmacists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd4eva

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read and heard a lot about many companies over the years and checked the forums, but have not heard anything about what it is like to be a Wegman's pharmacist :confused:. Anyone out there have any insight? Do you know a Wegman's pharmacist, are you an intern there? I have heard that Wegman's treats their employees pretty well (rated by Fortune Magazine). What do you think? Would you consider working for them? They have locations in New York, Virginia and i think that they will be expanding to the Maryaland area as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what it's like as a place to work, but I certainly do appreciate them as a grocery store and a cheap lunch stop (our cafeteria has great food, but one gets tired of it every once in a while anyways) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I work for Wegmans and it's the best retail pharmacy ever. I used to be a pharmacy tech at CVS and worked for Walgreens as a pharmacist so I know how those big chains are like. The biggest difference between Wegmans and other pharmacies are tech help. Not only the pharmacist gets more than adequate number of techs, but I was (and still am) very impressed with the quality of the technicians. Having a centralized call center (which means calls like refill request from a patient doesn't even come to the pharmacist and taken care of at the call center) is a huge plus also. Upper-management is more than understanding and helpful... I would recommend Wegmans highly to any pharmacist. Only downside is that it is a small company so the openings are very limited... so if you ever wanted to relocate, you might find some difficulties. But other than that, it truly is the best community setting pharmacy I worked for including my rotations.

It's a small company... Not national like a CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens. And in my opinion, their operating system is not user-friendly.

What the heck is a Wegman?

Wegmans Food markets... It's a supermarket/Pharmacy chain in the [North]east- suburban areas.

www.wegmans.com

GREAT foods! Very up-scale of a supermarket... The pharmacy, however, has little appeal to me.

Nothing better than Wegman's Grocery. I just saw the new pharmacy in Virginia it looks like an old world apothecary... way cool. How their system is though I'd like to know about too. I miss Wegman's having grown up in upstate NY where they originated and now in the southern land where ethnicity is unheard of and a deli is considered anything that serves a sub sandwich.

oooo I'm having a food withdrawl..... Zweigels hots, country sweet chicken wings, wokery,.... i better derail here.... sorry.

Wegmans is now in process of switching their computer system from PDX (grr..) to Enterprise Rx (which also deserves grrr.. at this pt). Enterprise Rx is very similar to Walgreen's Intercom Plus, work flow being Scanning Rx --> clearing out adjudication/DUR problems --> verifying the prescription based on the scanned image --> filling the actual prescription --> verifying the final product of the rx --> releasing to pt. Only difference between Enterprise Rx and Intercom Plus is the speed... I used to complain about the occasional lag and going into "central mode" when I was a pharmacist at Walgreens but now I realize that Intercom Plus was actually running at a speed of lightening. Upper-management says they are working on the problem so hopefully it will get better in the future.

In terms of tech help and stress level, Wegmans beats other retail pharmacies by far... Wegmans was nominated as "#1 place to work for" by Fortune megazine in 2005 (down to #3 in 2007 but not so bad considering how many companies are in US) and I definitely can see/feel why that's the case. I'm working at a pharmacy where we do about 4,500 per week but I never feel like I'm short staffed. At the peak hours on Mondays (where we do 1,000 +), we have 5 pharmacists overlapping at least for 3 hours with 15 technicians. Yes, FIFTEEN! I'm so spoiled now that I don't even know how I survived at Walgreens with 3-4 techs to do 400-500 per day. People say they are selling their soul to the devil when they sign with Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid but I feel like I've sold my soul to the devil when I signed with Wegmans since I don't think I can ever go back to any other retail pharmacies......

Thanks for all the great info. I guess selling your soul to the devil is not always a bad thing. :laugh:

How much different is the salary between wegmans and the big chains?

I have an interview with Wegmans coming up. Any tips from Wegmans Pharmacists?

I have an interview with Wegmans coming up. Any tips from Wegmans Pharmacists?
Hey I also have an interview next month at Wegmans. Can you give me some ideas/questions they ask? Thanks