Any Wives And Moms Med Students Here....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadMD1day

Cat Scan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Was Wondering....
How Has Med School Affected Your Personal Life? I Am A Mom Of 2 And Wife Of A Mostly Understanding Hubby! Lol
I Am Doing Pre-req's Now And Study Constantly But I Do Try To Spend Time With The Kids For Recreational Activities. My 7 Yr Old Son Is Involved In All Sports, Daughter Wants To Start Dance...so On And So On.
Time Is A Valuable Asset To Me Since I Still Clean, Cook, Bathe, And Wait On My Family Hand And Foot...lol
Also, Anyone With Children How Did You Handle The Move To A Different Area From Home? How Well Did They Adjust?

Thanks So Much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pre-med wife, but also have a private practice in speech therapy too. No kids.

It's rough sometimes, but my husband and I are not very needy, so we can handle busy lives. At the peak of my pre-reqs, I was taking 14 hours AND working full-time, and he was working full-time and coaching/playing men's rugby 4 days a week. We see each other a little more now, but he's going to pick up coaching again this spring so with MCAT studying we'll be ships passing in the night.

We try to have a weekend day free to go out, usually for breakfast and an early movie.

I will be starting medical school in August. I have four children and also a "mostly understanding" husband. We all survived my undergraduate degree, but med school is still to come. We will be moving from New York to Tennessee and I am sure that it will be hard for my kids. However, I think it will be better for our family in the long run. I will be happy to post you all with updates over the next few years to see how we all adjust. Good luck!:luck: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a med student with two children and also a "mostly understanding" hubby. My children are small so they aren't involved in anything that I need to be present for. I'm glad for that too, cuz I don't think I could fit anything else in. I definitely don't have as much time to study as my single classmates, but with everything, its just a matter of adjusting and doing what you can with what you have.

Two children and a saint of a husband. he does laundry and vacuums - decorated all by himself for Christmas (and did all the shopping and wrapping). Makes me coffee in the mornings and delivers it to me upstairs while I'm in the shower. And he works full-time. No, I'm not kidding. No, you can't have him.

Its doable. tough, but doable. i come home after classes and do the "mom" thing. I cook, help with homework, make sure chores are done, pay bills, etc. We do family stuff... i get the kids ready for bed. Now, my honey works graveyard shift, so after the kids go to bed I get him up for work. So I generally don't get study time until 10pm or so. this does mean I'm usually up until 1 am studying, then I get up at 5:30 am and start all over again. Yes, that means i'm living on 4-5 hours of sleep a night, and only about 3 hours of study time. Do my studies suffer? yes. But i'm passing everything so far, so that's ok (some of my fellow single students aren't so lucky). Do i sometimes spend time studying and not with my family (especially right before exams)? yes. you make choices, sacrifices. My kids do martial arts, and i study while they're in class. you learn to carve out minutes here and there. Doable. Tough, exhausting, but doable. good luck.

I will be in August and frankly I'm scared to death. I just have no idea what to expect except that it will most likely be a difficult adjustment for all of us.

My girls will be just barely 2 and almost 4. Both will be in daycare fulltime the first year (second year one fulltime, one halftime kindy/halftime daycare). I'm expecting a lot less sleep for one thing. I'm hoping to still have some time to spend with the girls and my hubby. Not getting that worries me.

My husband is very supportive of my goals fortunately. He's going to get the kids ready in the mornings and off to daycare (probably 10-11am) and I'll pick them up. What happens during the rest of the day is still to be determined.

The unknown scares me - BUT, I've never had an experience in my life that I couldn't ultimately make work even if I felt like quitting in the beginning so I just constantly remind myself of that.

I am married with two teenagers and a very very very supportive husband. I am a third year medical student and can honestly say it *is* hard but again, with LOTS of support you can do it. My husband took on ALL household chores that I was previously doing (he also works FT). I help out when I can which varies depending on your school, the year, your capabalities to absorb enormous amounts of info, and if you are in didactics versus clerkships.

It is such a relief to see other moms on the boards! I am a mom to three, (4,2, and 7 months.) I am still a premed student and love reading from other mom's already in medical school. Can we start a support forum? LOL

This is GREAT! It is such a relief to see other Moms on here! I definately would like to start a MOM Doctor to BE Forum! How can we do that?????
I am very new to this so someone will have to give me some pointers!

Are all you guys still doing Gen Chem and Biology or are you guys into you majors classes yet? I hope I haven't jumped the gun yet!

Thanks megboo! I just checked it out! I think I will sign up!

it's great to see other mommy's on board. i'm a mother of one and expecting my second this year. i'm so worried about balancing school and motherhood.

i wish you ladies the most success!!!

:clap:

I just want to say Wow! That is great! My wife and i are expecting our 4th next month and she does the stay at home mom thing. I can't imagine how it would be to trade her places. I don't mean to crash the "DR. MOM", but the experience of anyone with children and med schools grabs my attention.

Good luck everyone!
T

Members don't see this ad :)
it's great to see other mommy's on board. i'm a mother of one and expecting my second this year. i'm so worried about balancing school and motherhood.

i wish you ladies the most success!!!

I'm also expecting this year, will be my third though. Not looking forward to having to purchase maternity interview suits, but this was planned and is best for the family!

I'm really nervous for what will happen when I start med school (fall '08 I hope). But we have our plans in place, and I have already accepted the fact that I won't have as much study time as some other students, so I won't be at the top of the class. But that is ok with me. My goal is to become a doctor, and I will do that!!

premed mom here too! work full time, school 3/4 time and take care of the
kids (thats tot, hubby & 2 dogs):D

You go mamas!

premed mom here too! work full time, school 3/4 time and take care of the
kids (thats tot, hubby & 2 dogs):D

You go mamas!

You inspire me!

Another pre-med mom here with 2 small kids ages 7 and 3. I'm so glad to see this discussion! Sometimes, it seems there are NO mamas out there. LOL I'm off to check out the MomMD link. Thanks for posting it!

mommy here!
My girls will be 2 and almost 5 when I start at UVM next fall. My husband is super supportive, but he has no idea how much work I do around the house while he is at work(I am a SAHM now). It was a big surprise to him when I was put on bedrest with the last baby when the floors did not vacuum themselves and the dirty laundry did not magically morph into clean and folded laundry in his dresser!!!

So we'll see how much he likes the idea of me in med school when he has to take on more of that. We're planning to find an au pair for our kids, after much discussion with friends in med school/residency who are parents...but she won't be cleaning the house and making dinner for us!!

three cheers for the mommies (and daddies) on this long road!!

mommy here!
My girls will be 2 and almost 5 when I start at UVM next fall. My husband is super supportive, but he has no idea how much work I do around the house while he is at work(I am a SAHM now). It was a big surprise to him when I was put on bedrest with the last baby when the floors did not vacuum themselves and the dirty laundry did not magically morph into clean and folded laundry in his dresser!!!

So we'll see how much he likes the idea of me in med school when he has to take on more of that. We're planning to find an au pair for our kids, after much discussion with friends in med school/residency who are parents...but she won't be cleaning the house and making dinner for us!!

three cheers for the mommies (and daddies) on this long road!!
Wow! You are so lucky! I wish I had the financial ability to have one! Hats off to you, you will need it!
I think all of us should consider ourselves lucky anyway, to have wonderful children and the mind set of the millenium to pursue such a tough demanding career and education and not in the stereotypical 1950's where we took the back seat!
Au Pair or not, I am Going!!!! yippee!

Wow! You are so lucky! I wish I had the financial ability to have one! Hats off to you, you will need it!
I think all of us should consider ourselves lucky anyway, to have wonderful children and the mind set of the millenium to pursue such a tough demanding career and education and not in the stereotypical 1950's where we took the back seat!
Au Pair or not, I am Going!!!! yippee!

LOANS, baby. Ask the finaid folks at your school...if you have kids you can get extra loans to cover (reasonable/documented) childcare. BTW, an au pair is less expensive than full-time childcare for two children (at least where I live), plus you don't have to pack them up/pick them up/deal with what to do when they are sick...although you do have to be open to widening your family's home and heart to welcome her as a member of your family.

we are lucky, but I'm still scared! Good luck to all of us!

OneB

Yeah, another pre-med/FT working mom of a 3-month old. Cheers to all working pre-med/med school moms and dads :)

Yeah, another pre-med/FT working mom of a 3-month old. Cheers to all working pre-med/med school moms and dads :)

I'm both pre-med and pre-children... you ladies who have kids and enter med school, be sure to stop by the womens or nontrad forums and post helpful hints for the rest of us. In your copious free time. :rolleyes:

And those who haven't checked out mommd.com really should. Great site. I wish it were as active as SDN, but you can't have everything.

I am 32 and have 2 kids, 6 and 9. I am a post bac/pre med, have a business degree but have completed all but one of my pre-req's. I just got a job as a health unit coordinator in a hospital and also work at a pharmacy. It is very, very difficult but I am determined. I have come this far so I can't give up, right? I am signed up for the MCAT in May and need to nail it this time. Just keep on truckin' mommas!;)

LOANS, baby. Ask the finaid folks at your school...if you have kids you can get extra loans to cover (reasonable/documented) childcare. BTW, an au pair is less expensive than full-time childcare for two children (at least where I live), plus you don't have to pack them up/pick them up/deal with what to do when they are sick...although you do have to be open to widening your family's home and heart to welcome her as a member of your family.

we are lucky, but I'm still scared! Good luck to all of us!

OneB

How much does an au pair cost where you live? I'm paying $279 a week for daycare but would much rather have someone watching them at my home.

Hi all, I'm 29 with two children. They are 4 and 2. We have a great dane pup and a cat so I stay busy all day with just chores and cleaning. I'm a post-bac/graduate student full time and full time SAHM. I love my children but my calling in life is medicine. It's so great to hear from other moms in school or attending in the future. I'm taking the MCAT in April for the 2008 application cycle. I'm nervous but excited to get one step closer to becoming a DO. My hubby is active duty Air Force so I'm pretty much a single mom in the fact that I care for the kids all day or for months by myself. Congrats to all accepted already and best wishes to those who plan on applying. Check out my web page at www.myspace.com/thewillisfamily and say "Hi" . I love to meet other career oriented moms. It seems like the norm here on the military base to want to live through their husbands. I 've been a SAHM for 4 years and its the hardest job I've ever had but I'm ready to let the kiddos go to school and finish my own school. :)

How much does an au pair cost where you live? I'm paying $279 a week for daycare but would much rather have someone watching them at my home.

Hey, I'm considering having an AuPair when I start med school also (we currently have a nanny part-time, but she's $10/hr so that would seriously add up for full time) The Au-Pair programs that I've looked into have a weekly fee of about $140, plus you pay an annual fee of about $7000, so they say that it averages out to about $285/week for 45 hours of childcare. That of course does not include the room/board, so you have to include the expense of feeding another person, and I believe that they have to have access to an automobile as well.

The only reason that we are considering still paying for the nanny is that our nanny does some housework, like vaccuming and doing the kids laundry and dishes. I don't have time for it now, and I know I won't have time for it later!!!

Hey, I'm considering having an AuPair when I start med school also (we currently have a nanny part-time, but she's $10/hr so that would seriously add up for full time) The Au-Pair programs that I've looked into have a weekly fee of about $140, plus you pay an annual fee of about $7000, so they say that it averages out to about $285/week for 45 hours of childcare. That of course does not include the room/board, so you have to include the expense of feeding another person, and I believe that they have to have access to an automobile as well.

The only reason that we are considering still paying for the nanny is that our nanny does some housework, like vaccuming and doing the kids laundry and dishes. I don't have time for it now, and I know I won't have time for it later!!!

Hey Noelle and Kateb
about the au pair...yeah, what she said. That sounds about like what I have heard. I'm getting ready to talk to the two agencies in our area, but the scoop I have from current med student mommies is that this is THE way to go if you have space in your home/hearts for another person. They do expect to become a part of the family. One of my husband's colleagues has a private guesthouse and their au pair DID NOT want to be separate from the family (at first...). Now she likes having her own space.

A couple of other considerations:
tuition (they need to be able to take a couple of classes, and I'm not sure if the tuition is part of the fee or if we have to pay for that).

the car thing: they don't need their own car, but they do need "reasonable access" to one. I think it depends on what she wants to do in her time off.

hours: if you want/need them to work more than 45 hours a week, they can choose to accept that, but you need to pay them an agreed-to amount per hour additional

continuity: it used to be that they could only stay in the US for one year, but it's changed so that they can decide to stay for one more. They can stay with the initial family or apply for a new position. If you have a great thing going with your au pair, you might get two years out of her, and that could be good for everyone. But, it might not work out that way, so you can't plan on it. Have to expect breaking in a new one each year. Might seem like a good idea to get one that is on her second year applying for a new family (already accustomed to the US) but then there is no way she can stay for an extra year, and there are the questions raised by the fact that she did not stay with the initial family despite wanting to stay on as an au pair...is she burned out? did they not like her? etc...

housework/cooking: I'm not sure what the rules are about this, but I'm guessing that she won't be responsible for cooking or cleaning for all of us, but that she will probably be able/expected to take on cooking/cleaning related to the kiddos...kids' laundry and meals, basically.

I'm talking to the agencies next week, so let me know if you have any other questions.

Go mommies!!

OneB

Hi all, I'm 29 with two children. They are 4 and 2. We have a great dane pup and a cat so I stay busy all day with just chores and cleaning. I'm a post-bac/graduate student full time and full time SAHM. I love my children but my calling in life is medicine. It's so great to hear from other moms in school or attending in the future. I'm taking the MCAT in April for the 2008 application cycle. I'm nervous but excited to get one step closer to becoming a DO. My hubby is active duty Air Force so I'm pretty much a single mom in the fact that I care for the kids all day or for months by myself. Congrats to all accepted already and best wishes to those who plan on applying. Check out my web page at www.myspace.com/thewillisfamily and say "Hi" . I love to meet other career oriented moms. It seems like the norm here on the military base to want to live through their husbands. I 've been a SAHM for 4 years and its the hardest job I've ever had but I'm ready to let the kiddos go to school and finish my own school. :)

I definitely agree, being a SAHM is the hardest job! I tried staying home for my daughter's first year, but went absolutely nuts. After working most of life (since I was 13) and always making my own money, it was so hard giving up that indpendence. I think some people are just more cut out for that job than others. Believe me I have nothing but praise for the moms that do... Anyway, good for you for following your dreams! I'm sending you a friend request on myspace :)

Those of you considering an au pair - are you worried it wouldn't work out? I've thought about it as we have the space in our home for an au pair, but I get nervous that we wouldn't click with her. What if this person ends up not being responsible or just doesn't fit with your family dynamic? They have come all the way from a foreign country so I imagine it would be hard to get someone else.

That's my biggest concern with it - otherwise it would seem like a great situation for us.

My concern is they change every year (usually) which can be a good and bad thing and the fact that not all are willing to work more over the 45 hrs which I might need. Then I'm concerned with it not working out, which usually you can have an agreement that if its not working you can change but I think of that as a hassle especially on short notice. As well as I'm not keen to having someone move in with us in our small house right now. If we had a bigger house I wouldn't mind but we do not have the necessary arrangements for an au pair (own room with bathroom). I've looked into the au pair and realized its not for me, but I know of people who have used them. Things are never perfect but I think I would like a little more control over my caretaker and someone with a little more maturity taking care of my children. Plus the ones with actual training are usually more expensive anyway. I'd rather pay for a nanny who would help me pick up the house and do some housework.

That brings up another question for me. I'm sure it varies by area, but how does the cost of a nanny compare to two in daycare?

I'm thinking a nanny will be a very good option for us when both kids are in school full time - which won't be until my first year of residency, but it doesn't hurt to think ahead! LOL My DH will always be able to get kids to school in the morning but his afternoons are less flexible. A nanny from 3-7 would be perfect in that situation, but I'm not sure it will be affordable on a resident's salary. My DH won't have an income right when we first move for residency.

I'm really just thinking out loud here. ;)

I know it would be tough afford a nanny on residence salary, but we are actually thinking DH could be SAHD, let him taste "the life" as he would say it! LOL!!!
At least for about 6 months, till we get situated.
Isn't it true that every year the salary goes up??
So maybe after that first year, an afterschool babysitter would suffice. Maybe a college student, but of course a very responsible one with refs.

Just thinking out loud with ya!

Your salary increases a little each year but nothing more than a thousand or two. Also depends on where you will be living how much you'll actually get as "bang for your buck" with your salary.

I'm both pre-med and pre-children... you ladies who have kids and enter med school, be sure to stop by the womens or nontrad forums and post helpful hints for the rest of us. In your copious free time. :rolleyes:

And those who haven't checked out mommd.com really should. Great site. I wish it were as active as SDN, but you can't have everything.

Pemberley, off topic, but every time I see your avitar I want to ask you if you are a Stargate fan or if you just like Amanda Tapping? Very bummed that they are not making season 11, not sure how I feel about the movies.

Hi All!
I obviously am a mom by my screenname, kids are currently 6 and 11 yrs with an extremely supportive husband. I'm a MS4, applying to ob/gyn. I think the mom aspect has made me a much better student! During the first 2 years of med school, I went to class during the day,then was mom from the time we finished to the time the kids went to bed (8:30 ish). My study time was from then until I finished, usually midnight or 1 am. My husband would sit in the room with me and either study himself (he was finishing his bachelors) or watch TV. My grades have been tons better than I thought they would be. I think it's because I made a deal at the beginning to cover and learn what was scheduled for that day in class... that day. So I couldn't get behind (no time to make up). You find time to read throughout the day - my daughter is in dance/gym and as long as you look up and nod occasionally, she feels like you saw every move she made. My son has special needs, so we aren't in activities with him. Have I missed stuff... of course. But, I was working so much as an L&D nurse prior to med school, I've been more available in school than I was before!

As far as childcare goes, both kids are now in school. We were lucky enough to find a pre-K for 3 year olds at our local parochial school, so our daughter has been in full day school since then. It was surprisingly cheaper than daycare for the same hours (counting after school care too). We hire a sitter through an agency for after school when we need it, but for the rest of 4th year, I should only need it another month.

Having the super supportive hubby has been essential for me. He really is amazing.

A solution to who cooks can be simplified with one of those dinner preparation places, like Dream Dinners or What's for Dinner?. They are places you go once a month and prepare a certain number of meals. You then bring them home and freeze them, thawing a day or two before you plan to have them. The cooking steps are usually just preheating the oven or maybe one last minute step. It usually runs about $220/month but you can break the meals into 3 servings (that are easily 4 servings) and have 24 dinners for that price... just adding a salad or something otherwise. It's made my life easier.

Good luck ladies!

Pemberley, off topic, but every time I see your avitar I want to ask you if you are a Stargate fan or if you just like Amanda Tapping? Very bummed that they are not making season 11, not sure how I feel about the movies.

Stargate fan. Capt Carter had the career I wanted to have in the Air Force. (I just got real life.) :laugh: Haven't seen it for a couple of seasons, though, because I didn't get cable after my most recent move.

Tiredmom, what do you do when your children get minor illnesses & aren't allowed in school/daycare?

Hi All!
I obviously am a mom by my screenname, kids are currently 6 and 11 yrs with an extremely supportive husband. I'm a MS4, applying to ob/gyn. I think the mom aspect has made me a much better student! During the first 2 years of med school, I went to class during the day,then was mom from the time we finished to the time the kids went to bed (8:30 ish). My study time was from then until I finished, usually midnight or 1 am. My husband would sit in the room with me and either study himself (he was finishing his bachelors) or watch TV. My grades have been tons better than I thought they would be. I think it's because I made a deal at the beginning to cover and learn what was scheduled for that day in class... that day. So I couldn't get behind (no time to make up). You find time to read throughout the day - my daughter is in dance/gym and as long as you look up and nod occasionally, she feels like you saw every move she made. My son has special needs, so we aren't in activities with him. Have I missed stuff... of course. But, I was working so much as an L&D nurse prior to med school, I've been more available in school than I was before!

As far as childcare goes, both kids are now in school. We were lucky enough to find a pre-K for 3 year olds at our local parochial school, so our daughter has been in full day school since then. It was surprisingly cheaper than daycare for the same hours (counting after school care too). We hire a sitter through an agency for after school when we need it, but for the rest of 4th year, I should only need it another month.

Having the super supportive hubby has been essential for me. He really is amazing.

A solution to who cooks can be simplified with one of those dinner preparation places, like Dream Dinners or What's for Dinner?. They are places you go once a month and prepare a certain number of meals. You then bring them home and freeze them, thawing a day or two before you plan to have them. The cooking steps are usually just preheating the oven or maybe one last minute step. It usually runs about $220/month but you can break the meals into 3 servings (that are easily 4 servings) and have 24 dinners for that price... just adding a salad or something otherwise. It's made my life easier.

Good luck ladies!

I am so happy or you (M4) Wow! You must be ex-tatic!! I feel like I am so far away, and when I get nervous about it, I just look at posts like this and it gives me that extra boost! I think all tired moms could relate!
We have just made a decision to put the house up for sale and move to Birmingham and finish my undergrad at UAB and apply there.
My fear is I don't get in....but I can't base that decision on a fear. After all I am a mom and a wife and I have made it this far!

Thanks!

We look at it on a case by case basis when the kids are sick. We've been lucky (knocking on wood) that they've been pretty healthy. But, they've also been in school/daycare since they were 18 months old. After the first year in a new town, you've gotten most of the new-to-you strains of colds and GI bugs and the frequency improves. First year, other than the labs, there wasn't a whole lot of required to be present classes. My daughter would go with me if she was minorly sick or the school was closed (except for anatomy lab :D ). She used to ask to look at the pictures of the cell stains in the Robbins Path book... yes, she's a nerd! My husband has a pretty flexible job on most days that doesn't mind him coming in a bit late or leaving a bit early, he just has to stay on the other end of the day. But, if I have to call in, I do and I don't feel bad about it. I don't abuse it, but if my kids need me, it's them first. We survived a kidney stone in my son in October, everyone was really understanding (you say your kid is peeing blood and people suddenly soften :D ). I think I missed 4 days total during 3rd year, all but 1 of which were me being ill, not the kids.

I'll ditto this suggestion!! I've been using Dream Dinners for all my cooking since last summer and it is wonderful. We have another chain here (My Girlfriend's Kitchen) that will even prepare the meals for you and deliver them for about $50 extra. I will probably do that once I start medical school to save myself two hours on a Saturday that I'd rather spend with my kids. :)

I'll ditto this suggestion!! I've been using Dream Dinners for all my cooking since last summer and it is wonderful. We have another chain here (My Girlfriend's Kitchen) that will even prepare the meals for you and deliver them for about $50 extra. I will probably do that once I start medical school to save myself two hours on a Saturday that I'd rather spend with my kids. :)
I seriously have to look into this .... How is the food taste wise?

We tried Dream Dinners and didn't really like the meals that we got. They were just not my taste, and my husband is on a healthy eating kick, so he didn't really want to eat much of it. I did, however, follow their reciepe exactly, so maybe if I were to do it again, I would cater the meals more to our personal tastes. It was a big time saver though. There are a few people in my mom's group that get together and do this in their homes, and the meals are less industrial tasting. I was thinking of doing this on my own when I start up school again.

I hope I can find places like that wherever I move. Dinner hasn't been much of a problem because my son is still breastfeeding so he doesn't mind if mommy eats turkey jerky and a bran muffin for dinner, but he will be eating real foods soon.

As for daycare- I am terrified. My husband is a police officer and because we will be moving for school, he will most likely be forced to work the night shift. I may need to get a nanny, but I am mistrustful (is that even a word?). We have no family that could help either. Any suggestions?

I hope I can find places like that wherever I move. Dinner hasn't been much of a problem because my son is still breastfeeding so he doesn't mind if mommy eats turkey jerky and a bran muffin for dinner, but he will be eating real foods soon.

As for daycare- I am terrified. My husband is a police officer and because we will be moving for school, he will most likely be forced to work the night shift. I may need to get a nanny, but I am mistrustful (is that even a word?). We have no family that could help either. Any suggestions?

Another lower cost option is a home-daycare. I'm not sure of the exact costs, but I know that they are lower than a daycare center. I've seen alot posted on craigslist lately.

One Basket,

I'd definately like to hear how it goes, we talked a little with a coordinator out here, but she gave us very vague answers. I'd like to know the specifics!

I haven't tried the Dream Dinners line. There's a ton of different chains - I've used one that's not chained yet called Studio Kitchen/What's for Dinner? It's in Austin, so I don't do it much because it involves a 1.5 hour drive one way, but if we are traveling through that way, I'll plan ahead and pick some up.
The food is fair/good. It forced us to get out of our limited scope of recipes (read: tacos, pasta at least once a week) without me spending 1-2 hours preparing something out of southern living.

Here's the link to the place in Austin... they've got menus listed. The food menus seem to be fairly similar between the chains. Anybody have any opinions?

http://www.thestudiokitchen.com/

To the poster who's husband is a police officer... how long do they typically stay on night shift? I didn't need any night coverage until 3rd year, and very little so far 4th year, so if it's a 1-2 year stint on nights, it might still work out for you.

I really like it - and I'm pretty picky about things I like and don't like. There have only been two or three meals (out of probably 50+ at this point) that I flat out couldn't stand.

They use a lot of low fat and fat free stuff which I like. :)

Congratulations to you all for deciding to move forward... I am premed myself, with a 1 yr old boy, and 4 yr old girl. I just completed my 2nd degree in Biomedical Sciences and have just been waitlisted :eek: .

If any of you have interviewed, I found that during my interview I was almost grilled at how I will handle the stress of med school and family, and how I will deal with putting family on the "backburner." I am passionate about going to med school and doing a fab job of it, but honestly, I don't see me putting my family on the backburner for anything, med school inclusive. I do know there will be sacrifices we will all have to make, but with great supports (husband, parents, sister, etc.), I think it's possible. Any of you experience the same thing during interviews? Afterwards, I felt I made the mistake of openly sharing my family dynamics as I feel it was nonadventagous. What do you think?

Congratulations to you all for deciding to move forward... I am premed myself, with a 1 yr old boy, and 4 yr old girl. I just completed my 2nd degree in Biomedical Sciences and have just been waitlisted :eek: .

If any of you have interviewed, I found that during my interview I was almost grilled at how I will handle the stress of med school and family, and how I will deal with putting family on the "backburner." I am passionate about going to med school and doing a fab job of it, but honestly, I don't see me putting my family on the backburner for anything, med school inclusive. I do know there will be sacrifices we will all have to make, but with great supports (husband, parents, sister, etc.), I think it's possible. Any of you experience the same thing during interviews? Afterwards, I felt I made the mistake of openly sharing my family dynamics as I feel it was nonadventagous. What do you think?

I didn't get much of that during interviews - but I only applied at TX schools, so it may be a different sort of mentality down here?:confused: I actually had questions at every interview about why changing from nursing to med school - maybe they figured the hours I worked as a nurse, I was already spending a lot of time away from the family? I think if you answer your questions with the expression of having good support and being a good time manager (which you really have to be for med school with kids), you'll have done fine.

When I read the OP - she also asked about transitioning kids for the move - what we did was move down our belongings about 2 weeks before the family move date. I was working while my son finished up the school year. We stayed with my folks and my husband stayed at our new house and unpacked everything. It worked out really well (he was off for the summer and didn't look for a job until school started in the fall) - they walked in and their rooms were all put together and there wasn't any visible boxes. It was important for us to have the transition be smooth - my son has autism so his transitions are usually pretty difficult (and he loves to pack, so if he had boxes/suitcases, he would keep packing all his stuff so that he could I guess move back home?).

Two children and a saint of a husband. he does laundry and vacuums - decorated all by himself for Christmas (and did all the shopping and wrapping). Makes me coffee in the mornings and delivers it to me upstairs while I'm in the shower. And he works full-time. No, I'm not kidding. No, you can't have him.

Does anyone else see the irony here that this man gets called a saint of a husband to do things that some people would consider to be the normal actions of a wife? Not to say that it isn't great that he does those things. I just wish that an even division of labor between two individuals doing things outside the home (work or school) was the norm in society.

I am married with no kids. Hubby and I share the cooking, laundry, and some of the cleaning (it wouldn't normally occur to him to sweep, or clean the bathroom-sometimes I get in a rearrange the furniture mode and just clean the floors while he is out, other times I have him work on one area while I do another). He is very understanding of the time I have to spend away from him, or focusing on studying. He caters to my needs often (bringing stuff to the couch so I don't have to get up, getting stuff for me at the store, massages that aren't just a prelude to sex). If he wasn't willing to be involved in the day to day household crap (barring his ability to tolerate dirty floors for much longer than I am), it would be like having a roommate I sleep with. If there were kids it would be very difficult. If your man expects you to wait on him, do the housework, and raise the kids you are going to be in for a rough road. If this is the case, I hope you can retrain him.