Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all-I've joined in an attempt to find some people who are working moms/dads that also have med school husbands/wives. I need some advice! My husband is in his third year of med school and we have a little boy who turns 1 this week. We're going to have another little one next May--so I'm stressed! I work full-time and with my husband now being in his rotations (just finished surg, now on OB/GYN), things have really been weighing on me. I'm not really getting validation from anyone right now, which is tough--when I vent about to people about it being hard to work all day and then come home and have to take care of our son and the house, I get one of two responses: the first is to tell me that my husband has it even worse because he's in school. The second, which annoys me even more, is when people tell me to hang in there because my husband will be making 'good money' one day. Argh! I would much rather continue being dirt poor if it meant I could see my husband more than a few hours a week! I'm just wondering what other people have done to even the load or relieve stress. Do I need to use a babysitter more? Ask people for help? What has worked for people? I know that I can't be resentful of my husband because he would be here if he could, but it's still tough. Help! 😳
goes to consumer debt so that after graduation all we will have is my husband's loans to contend with. No small feat (we are paying out-of state tuition!!), but you have to keep it in perspective......our "living expenses" financial aid is approx. $15,000/year...next to the $36,000/yr we pay for tuition, that is nothing. Besides, I took out $20,000 in student loans to get my master's degree to teach (a job that, at least in Arizona when I started, paid little more than that per year!)...we will have $200,000 in loans when my husband is done, for a job which will pay approx. $200,000/year to start. PERSPECTIVE. If it helps, there are MANY families here (with more than one child) who make it on financial aid alone...NO extra income. It is tough on approx. $15,000/year, but I've seen it done. Also, while I was working fulltime, I used to get angry at people/magazine articles/etc.. that told me I could afford to stay home...I never really appreciated how expensive having a child in daycare really was. We lost SO MUCH MONEY to "sick" days!!!!! There is also the time factor to consider...With a child approaching Kindergarten next year, I can attest to the fact that the next five years will go VERY quickly. Sacrifice now may be more worthwhile than playing it financially "safe" and waiting until later.