Anybody accepted to PCO yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyes1128

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been accepted to PCO yet? If so, how long did it take for them to get back to you? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya,
It ranges from 1 week to 1 month or so. I know ppl who received notice after 1 week, but I also know ppl who got accepted 5 wks after their interview.
(The president is a very nice guy. I'm sure you'll be fine)

Cheerz,

Katalio

eyes1128 said:
Has anybody been accepted to PCO yet? If so, how long did it take for them to get back to you? ;)

pco is an alright school, but many support staff at the school are incompetent. i knew this friend of mine who had send their transcript in 3x's and they kept on saying they lost it. when they final did receive the transcript - they had no response as to whether my friend was accepted or denyed into the program.

maybe the program is great, and it's just a couple of nuts in the admin dept...and thus it's unfair to make such a blanket statement.

in any event - the environment surrounding pco is gangsta so students must dress the part. make sure you have your fubu and sean john clothing attire all lined up and ready to roll with the homies :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
ucbsowarrior said:
in any event - the environment surrounding pco is gangsta so students must dress the part. make sure you have your fubu and sean john clothing attire all lined up and ready to roll with the homies :eek:

um, PCO is in elkins park which is anything but "gangsta". the clinic is in the city- is that what you are talking about? also, not to be a jerk, but your friend has a sketchy story as well since the admissions office will pretty much bend over backwards to help you out- call them for yourselves with any dumb question you can come up with and you will see.

ODtobe said:
um, PCO is in elkins park which is anything but "gangsta". the clinic is in the city- is that what you are talking about? also, not to be a jerk, but your friend has a sketchy story as well since the admissions office will pretty much bend over backwards to help you out- call them for yourselves with any dumb question you can come up with and you will see.

you got me on the gangsta part - your right - it is the urban clinic - my bad :(

as to the application - no one was bending over backwards for my friend. they cashed the application cheque and my friend never heard a word from them ever again - despite sending her transcript in many times.

ODtobe said:

Seriously, I thought the school was great, and the admission office was awesome. At PCO you will receive the most experience working in the clinic. You start going to the Eye Institute the 2nd day of class.

Actually, u don't go to clinic on the second day of class.. hehe.,. u go in like..2 weeks or something.

Katalio said:
Actually, u don't go to clinic on the second day of class.. hehe.,. u go in like..2 weeks or something.

The girls that gave the tour said your in the clinic the 2nd day, just observing. But what do I know, your the one at PCO.

eyes1128 said:
The girls that gave the tour said your in the clinic the 2nd day, just observing. But what do I know, your the one at PCO.

obviously they can't get EVERYONE into clinic on the second day. everyone has a different schedule, but don't worry you get in there within a couple weeks...

to answer the initial question, it took about a month after i sent my application before i received my acceptance letter (this was in 2001, but I doubt that much has changed). But I think it also matters what time of year you send your application. And secondly, I wouldn't be too worried about getting into the clinic, the first year you do nothing except watch, and if you've ever had prior experience in any type of optical setting you've already seen 90% of what your tasks are going to be. (auto-refracting, etc)

pco class of 05'

observe? ooops, i was sleeping in the room. :p can't do that this january tho! lol

:laugh: lol! i'm sure you'll find motivation again!

KaBlamO said:
observe? ooops, i was sleeping in the room. :p can't do that this january tho! lol

back to the original topic question: i have heard that the admissions committee for PCO will get together on nov. 11. so i imagine a decision will be made shortly thereafter. :thumbup:

Hi,
Finally I found a forum that may help me. I'm a Canadian student, and have received an interview for PCO. I have no clue what they may ask. I've been to the Waterloo Optometry Interview and other than questions about the school itself, they asked about "who gives licenses", "What association is responsible for health care in Canada". I would like to know if they'd ask students like me questions about the US health care system, and details questions like that.

Thanks for your help.

- Rekha

ariel winter said:
:laugh: lol! i'm sure you'll find motivation again!

i have no choice! i'll be seeing the patients and doing the eye exams in january! wheeeeeeeeee! :D

but yea, i guess the thread-starter can call/email and get a status check on the file. it's busy busy busy lately for everyone around here!

I just got accepted to PCO :)
I got my letter three weeks after my interview.

Kelli

I got an acceptance email the next day. I was pretty impressed with the school and the area and the module based learning.

I was notified that I had been accepted within 4 weeks of my interview. Katalio is right, we started clinic around the second week of school. Basically, you watch the third years do their thing and you answer questions such as: "Why is the patient here?" "What is the recorded reason for the visit?" "What is the management plan?" The questions are on a form and you will submit them at the end of your observation period. You, also, get to look through the teaching tube while the intern uses the slit lamp and such. We just took our first practical for automated machines. So, now, we will be able to do some prescreening. You can passively observe or ask questions, whatever you take away from the experience is completely up to you. You will be in clinic about one day, every other week during your first semester. The clinic has a dress code and "gansta'" attire is totally unacceptable!!! However, sometimes, I think their should be a dress code at the Elkins Park campus. Anyway, good luck to everyone hoping to get in!

What is the dress code for the clinic?

Hey could anyone that has been to NECO or PCO give me a heads up on what types of interview questions i should be expecting. I'll be flyin up to NECO and PCO this weekend for my interview! thanks :)