Anybody else completely apathetic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not stressed at all about this exam which i find a bit odd. I don't feel like I am especially prepared yet, I just dont feel worried. Perhaps a panic attack will hit me when I actually get there and start taking it (knock on wood).

Members don't see this ad.

I just don't care anymore. I do not feel ready, but I am just so tired that I don't even want to look at the stuff any more. I just want it to go away now, so I can get my life back.

Wahooali said:
I just don't care anymore. I do not feel ready, but I am just so tired that I don't even want to look at the stuff any more. I just want it to go away now, so I can get my life back.

heh, you know I started off with a "34+" mentality now I am more like "come on big 30!!!! NO WHAMMIES"

Cerberus said:
I am not stressed at all about this exam which i find a bit odd. I don't feel like I am especially prepared yet, I just dont feel worried. Perhaps a panic attack will hit me when I actually get there and start taking it (knock on wood).

Yep, apathy factor pegged high. Which is why I've been posting so much today.

Members don't see this ad :)
flighterdoc said:
Yep, apathy factor pegged high. Which is why I've been posting so much today.

I think my post factor went up about 500% when i started studying for this thing :laugh:

btw, I know you have spent a ton of time in the military already, are you planning on doing HPSP or UHUSH for med school?

Cerberus said:
I think my post factor went up about 500% when i started studying for this thing :laugh:

btw, I know you have spent a ton of time in the military already, are you planning on doing HPSP or UHUSH for med school?

I wish. I've already retired from the military, they won't let me back in. Have to be young enough for USPHS to have a career AFTER graduation. I really enjoyed the military (now that I'm out of it), there aren't too many places where people fresh out of college are given as much responsibility (like for the lives of 50 people or a $20-million fighter (with weapons). The AF really is a pretty good way of life.

Besides, doctors at my (retired) rank/pay grade don't get professional bonuses. I might try for a USPHS scholarship or position after I finish residency, if I go into one of the specialties they like (thinking of EM right now).

flighterdoc said:
I wish. I've already retired from the military, they won't let me back in. Have to be young enough for USPHS to have a career AFTER graduation. I really enjoyed the military (now that I'm out of it), there aren't too many places where people fresh out of college are given as much responsibility (like for the lives of 50 people or a $20-million fighter (with weapons). The AF really is a pretty good way of life.

Besides, doctors at my (retired) rank/pay grade don't get professional bonuses. I might try for a USPHS scholarship or position after I finish residency, if I go into one of the specialties they like (thinking of EM right now).

What is the policy on retirement? What if I wanted to stay on longer than 20 years? As it stands now (assuming USUHS is nice enough to let me in..please usuhs...) if i decide to go career i'll be able to retire before i'm fifty.

Cerberus said:
What is the policy on retirement? What if I wanted to stay on longer than 20 years? As it stands now (assuming USUHS is nice enough to let me in..please usuhs...) if i decide to go career i'll be able to retire before i'm fifty.

20 years for the minimum retirement, I went 24 (maximum for Lt. Col).

Which branch are you thinking of?

flighterdoc said:
20 years for the minimum retirement, I went 24 (maximum for Lt. Col).

Which branch are you thinking of?

Probably army due to the fact that they seem to have more residency options (and navy seems to be fairly unpopular with physicians on sdn).

Cerberus said:
Probably army due to the fact that they seem to have more residency options (and navy seems to be fairly unpopular with physicians on sdn).

yeah, the Navy seems to send everyone out on a GMO tour. The AF is OK that way, it's probably the closest to being a civilian doc :)

Best of luck Saturday ladies and gentlemen- I'll be hunched over a desk in the Back Bay Hilton in scenic (yet windy at the moment) Boston, sharing in the agony that is the MCAT. Go in with confidence, and we'll have it l icked...

Cerb, Flighter-- Nice to see some people who have similar aspirations of military medicine! I too have USUHS high on my list- I'm hoping that being an AF brat helps in some way. Any idea how difficult it is to make it in the AF doing a specialty? Right now, I am 97% sure that I want to do a surgical specialty, and I was wondering if ya'll had heard if this is a difficult proposition in the AF, and if chances are slim to get the residency of choice. Guess I should go lurk around the military med forum a little more.

Anyhow, back to my notes. One last push, guys, we're almost there!

scooter31 said:
Best of luck Saturday ladies and gentlemen- I'll be hunched over a desk in the Back Bay Hilton in scenic (yet windy at the moment) Boston, sharing in the agony that is the MCAT. Go in with confidence, and we'll have it l icked...

Cerb, Flighter-- Nice to see some people who have similar aspirations of military medicine! I too have USUHS high on my list- I'm hoping that being an AF brat helps in some way. Any idea how difficult it is to make it in the AF doing a specialty? Right now, I am 97% sure that I want to do a surgical specialty, and I was wondering if ya'll had heard if this is a difficult proposition in the AF, and if chances are slim to get the residency of choice. Guess I should go lurk around the military med forum a little more.

Anyhow, back to my notes. One last push, guys, we're almost there!

Scooter, AFAIK you'd do your residency in a civilian program, then serve your military committment. This is the same in any military program I think, but you should find someone who really knows (in the mil forum?)

Good luck to us all!

Scooter, if you go to USUHS you have to do a military residency (and for pay purposes it would be dumb not to). One of my main concerns has been that i've read that your surgical skills rot in the military since they dont recieve nearly as many surgery cases as the civilian hospitals.

Hey you guys, just wanted to say good luck on the MCAT Saturday. Like you, I became apathetic as the day approached last year, and my MCAT experience ended up almost, dare I say, fun. And things worked out great in the end. You don't need to be studying the few days before the MCAT anyway. Just relax and, if some MCAT related question is really bugging you, look up the answer and then go back to bumming around. I think I watched 9 movies the two days before the MCAT last year.
And maybe I will see some of you at USUHS in 2005, eh?

Sorry Cerb,
in my pre-MCAT cool down phase, I neglected to add the fact that USUHS is high on my list, as is doing the HPSP route. Sorry for the confusion- thats the dilemma with me. Do I do USUHS, with the knowledge that a military surgery residency is tough and a subspecialty is even tougher to get, or go the HPSP route, and go for the civvy residency and the 4 year commitment. Again, more questions to search for in the other forums, and a good enough reason to stop studying for good and chill out. Although I am tempted to go over the Kaplan big book noted one more time. Can you ever feel ready for this damn test?! :scared:

Oh man, I feel you guys. I'm getting a little burned out from this (long) year too. Can't wait until it's over, and I get...a weekend off. Then fourth year. :(

I think apathetic is a good way to be. It's really just another practice test.

Who are you pulling for? Orange or white? ;)