Anybody else get excited about learning a new molecular biology technique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seraph524

M0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I do!

I just did my first western blot today, and it was pretty cool! Yea, I know I'm behind in learning research techniques... I can't wait to see my rotation PI's face when I tell them I have never done PCR before :p

Members don't see this ad.

westerns!

how i hate the smell of b-mercaptoethanol!

no kidding...TEMED and DTT too!

i'm going to do my first IP soon...i'll have to admit i'm a little scared due to the cost and time that is going into collecting the necessary sample. it's going to take about four weeks just to get enough cells.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, i get so excited. I am learning LOH right now and its so exciting. I'd love to be there to see your PI's face when he/she finds out you've never done pcr. :D

I think the worst smell of all is a big, juicy, litre of E. coli LB culture. "YEESH, light a bunsen burner!"

I think the worst smell of all is a big, juicy, litre of E. coli LB culture. "YEESH, light a bunsen burner!"

yeah, ones that have been fermenting over night...yum

you do get accustomed to the smell though - I hardly notice it anymore except when...

storytime: grad student in the lab was hungover and DROPPED a 1L flask full of e. coli - had to get help to clean it up and the whole time people were like "it smells like a$$ in here!!!"

Ugh, I hate doing molecular biology. Good old cookbook science. Here's your recipe for a Western, DO IT EXACTLY LIKE THIS OR IT WILL FAIL. REPEAT UNTIL PhD OBTAINED.

*ducks from the flames of 95% of the MD/PhDs doing molecular biology*

westerns!

I love that smell.

I took a big ole' sniff of it just for the giggle factor, and couldn't get the odor out of my nose. It was a wonderful afternoon...

yeah, ones that have been fermenting over night...yum

you do get accustomed to the smell though - I hardly notice it anymore except when...

storytime: grad student in the lab was hungover and DROPPED a 1L flask full of e. coli - had to get help to clean it up and the whole time people were like "it smells like a$$ in here!!!"

I still haven't gotten used to it. But yeah, that's pretty bad. I've also heard of someone mouth pipetting a culture and getting a mouthful.

(Something tells me this might lead to a long discussion about mouth pipetting . . . I can't wait)

I still haven't gotten used to it. But yeah, that's pretty bad. I've also heard of someone mouth pipetting a culture and getting a mouthful.

(Something tells me this might lead to a long discussion about mouth pipetting . . . I can't wait)

MOUTH PIPETTING! I love that technique. I plan on demanding that all my future PIs allow me to do it.

Sounds like a great way to get an infection
:rolleyes:

MOUTH PIPETTING! I love that technique. I plan on demanding that all my future PIs allow me to do it.

Personally, I prefer nose pipetting. That way you can do two at a time!

Members don't see this ad :)
ewwee. I didn't know people actually did that. I mean I saw it in the safety video like freshman year, but really?? I might have to try it.

I HATE the smell of LB. I used to work in a lab that did work with e.coli. The smell is so distinct that when I am in my new lab, I can smell it from across the lab. YUCK!! Thankfully, we rarely work with LB.

Ugh, I hate doing molecular biology. Good old cookbook science. Here's your recipe for a Western, DO IT EXACTLY LIKE THIS OR IT WILL FAIL. REPEAT UNTIL PhD OBTAINED.

*ducks from the flames of 95% of the MD/PhDs doing molecular biology*

Agreed here. Pipetting, blotting, culturing and all that crap never appealed to me. It also doesn't help that I'm quite awkward with them.

ewwee. I didn't know people actually did that. I mean I saw it in the safety video like freshman year, but really?? I might have to try it.

I HATE the smell of LB. I used to work in a lab that did work with e.coli. The smell is so distinct that when I am in my new lab, I can smell it from across the lab. YUCK!! Thankfully, we rarely work with LB.

It used to be common practice. Not any more, what with the pipette guns. I don't really mind the smell of LB - it's the smell of a turbid E. coli culture in LB that I can't stand.

In my lab we grow a lot of Lactococcus lactis, which smells nice and cheesy.

It used to be common practice. Not any more, what with the pipette guns. I don't really mind the smell of LB - it's the smell of a turbid E. coli culture in LB that I can't stand.

LB doesn't smell bad at all. Stupid E. coli, wrecking all that wonderful media...

what do you use L.l. for? My lab uses a particular protein from L. lactis...but we have it on a plasmid to grow up in E. coli

what do you use L.l. for? My lab uses a particular protein from L. lactis...but we have it on a plasmid to grow up in E. coli

Mostly for evolutionary studies on the group II intron Ll.LtrB. We're also trying to use it as a vaccine vector. What protein is it?

Mostly for evolutionary studies on the group II intron Ll.LtrB. We're also trying to use it as a vaccine vector. What protein is it?

science is such a small world

yeah, I guess I should have said LB w/ E. coli in it. Plain old LB isn't too bad, unless it gets burnt. Don't ask me how, but somebody did that recently in my lab and it stunk!

The lab I worked use E. coli for a vaccine delivery system. TONS of e. coli was grown there.

If you lyse an E.Coli, does it not feel pain? Does it not hurt? Does it not suffer? Think about its family! (all 7 billion of them!)

Just being silly.

yeah, I guess I should have said LB w/ E. coli in it. Plain old LB isn't too bad, unless it gets burnt. Don't ask me how, but somebody did that recently in my lab and it stunk!

The lab I worked use E. coli for a vaccine delivery system. TONS of e. coli was grown there.

I once left a litre of LB-agar in an autoclave overnight. It turned into this pinkish-black sticky mass at the bottom of the erlenmeyer. It took all morning to clean.

I have to agree with TEMED smell. It smells like rotten fish (being vegetarian it just shuts down my appetite).

I got excited yesterday as I was doing my first RNA lab-on-chip (Agilent Bioanalyzer). I can not wait till Monday. I will be starting my first DNA Microarray....:)

I have to agree with TEMED smell. It smells like rotten fish (being vegetarian it just shuts down my appetite).

I got excited yesterday as I was doing my first RNA lab-on-chip (Agilent Bioanalyzer). I can not wait till Monday. I will be starting my first DNA Microarray....:)

I do that too! It was a thrilling day to complete my first aCGH and Affy microarray. I hate the Bioanalyzer. Bloooows. Its so touchy.

Hopefully most of us do, or we wouldn't be doing what we are doing

My PI has a bad habit of just dropping things in my lap out of nowhere though. I guess she figures I need to learn to deal with the pressure.

Take for instance the $3500 Luminex 30-plex she asked me to do the other day because she needed some emergency prelim data for a grant proposal. Having never used the Luminex system before, let alone a 30-plex, it seemed like a lot of money to entrust an inexperienced student with...

But yeah, as long as you don't **** up, learning new techniques is the shiz! :D

DNA transfection made my life complete....like...I can die now