anybody else get this email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishtolive

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues:

This message is to let you know that a movie titled “Awake” is in production and is slated for release later this year. The film will feature many popular stars, including Jessica Alba, Hayden Christensen, Terence Howard and Sigourney Weaver. Its plot is said to revolve around a young man undergoing anesthesia for a heart transplant who suffers awareness. Early promotions from the studio included the tag line, “Awake will do to surgery what Jaws did to swimming in the ocean.”

ASA has offered to assist the production company, but no response has been received. ASA’s Communications Department and the Committee on Communications are monitoring the publicity and the general “chatter” surrounding this upcoming film. We will present factual information to the public and offer tools to help address any concerns that patients may have as a result of the movie or the publicity leading up to it. Although the only release date mentioned has been New Year’s Eve, it could be earlier based on many factors.

There is no evidence that commercial medical device manufacturers are involved in this project.

If any of your patients have concerns or questions about awareness, please remember that we have the brochure, “Patient Awareness Under General Anesthesia—What Is It?” available for downloading at www.asahq.org/PatientEducation/awarenessbrochure.pdf It also is available in printed form through the ASA Publications & Services Catalog.

For more information about public education related to this topic, or for assistance with media inquiries, please contact the Communications Department at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Orin F. Guidry, M.D.
President
American Society of Anesthesiologists

**good thing the movie will probably flop...although, jessica alba is in it**

Members don't see this ad.

fishtolive said:
Dear Colleagues:

This message is to let you know that a movie titled “Awake” is in production and is slated for release later this year. The film will feature many popular stars, including Jessica Alba, Hayden Christensen, Terence Howard and Sigourney Weaver. Its plot is said to revolve around a young man undergoing anesthesia for a heart transplant who suffers awareness. Early promotions from the studio included the tag line, “Awake will do to surgery what Jaws did to swimming in the ocean.”

Great...now Aspect (maker of the BIS) is underwriting movies. I'm already tired of their thinly-veiled segments on Dateline NBC, 20/20 with BaBaBa Walters, etc.

fishtolive said:
Dear Colleagues:

ASA has offered to assist the production company, but no response has been received. ASA’s Communications Department and the Committee on Communications are monitoring the publicity and the general “chatter” surrounding this upcoming film. We will present factual information to the public and offer tools to help address any concerns that patients may have as a result of the movie or the publicity leading up to it. Although the only release date mentioned has been New Year’s Eve, it could be earlier based on many factors.

There is no evidence that commercial medical device manufacturers are involved in this project.

If any of your patients have concerns or questions about awareness, please remember that we have the brochure, “Patient Awareness Under General Anesthesia—What Is It?” available for downloading at www.asahq.org/PatientEducation/awarenessbrochure.pdf It also is available in printed form through the ASA Publications & Services Catalog.

For more information about public education related to this topic, or for assistance with media inquiries, please contact the Communications Department at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Orin F. Guidry, M.D.
President

**good thing the movie will probably flop...although, jessica alba is in it**

got it to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i got it too. At first i thought it was a plea to write the movie makers to make it more realistic or to protest it. Weird that the ASA is actually supporting it. :confused:

maybe the "stars" will show up to the premier with BIS monitors strapped to their heads. i can see them now answering questions during interviews "yeah, i just really feel strongly about this tragedy which gets swept under the rug by the medical community. it's probably more common than the system will admit."

then, release the hounds.

fishtolive said:
maybe the "stars" will show up to the premier with BIS monitors strapped to their heads. i can see them now answering questions during interviews "yeah, i just really feel strongly about this tragedy which gets swept under the rug by the medical community. it's probably more common than the system will admit."

then, release the hounds.

don't worry.

on most actors, the BIS would likely show no brain activity whatsoever, let alone a level of consciousness.

Maybe this movie will bring to light what an important role we play. Maybe patients will appreciate a good anesthetic instead of taking it for granted.

On the other hand, it could also make us look like a bunch of aloof, imcompetent jerks.

Here's hoping for the best.

Maybe it will at least scare some med students away from anesthesiology and make it easier for ME to match in 3 years! :D

Seriously, though...that sounds like a dumb-ass movie. :thumbdown: And Chica, it doesn't sound to me like the ASA is supporting the movie...more like they are trying to steer the movie away from bashing anesthesiologists by diplomatically reaching out to the filmmakers.

How much you wanna bet they portray the anesthesiologist in this movie as some drunk hack like they have been on Grey's Anatomy lately?

I'm curious who will be the provider of anesthesia in the film. will it be a AA, CRNA, anesthesiologist?

More importantly will they be leaving the OR like the person did in Grey's Anatomy last week :eek:

Jessica Alba... now that's someone I can "work" with. :D

chicamedica said:
Yeah i got it too. At first i thought it was a plea to write the movie makers to make it more realistic or to protest it. Weird that the ASA is actually supporting it. :confused:

I think you should reread the email.

ASA said:
"ASA has offered to assist the production company, but no response has been received. ASA’s Communications Department and the Committee on Communications are monitoring the publicity and the general “chatter” surrounding this upcoming film. We will present factual information to the public and offer tools to help address any concerns that patients may have as a result of the movie or the publicity leading up to it."

Trisomy13 said:
don't worry.

on most actors, the BIS would likely show no brain activity whatsoever, let alone a level of consciousness.

Especially Hayden Christenson - some propofol might improve his acting - man he was so bad in star wars.

ear-ache said:
I think you should reread the email.

Oh ok. . .I see. Well I hope the ASA gets to inject some more accurate portrayals, if need be.

Sugar72 said:
Especially Hayden Christenson - some propofol might improve his acting - man he was so bad in star wars.

:laugh:
So true, so true. WIth a bunch of half rate actors it won't last long in theaters. However, what is bad is that this is going to encourage a whole new group of law suits for people claiming "awareness." I think the ASA should sue the movie company for misrepresentation of the profession.

fat chance ASA will do anything.

I think it time for new leadership! Fresh blood!

fat chance ASA will do anything.

I think its time for new leadership! Fresh blood!

fishtolive said:
Dear Colleagues:

Sincerely,

Orin F. Guidry, M.D.
President

I did finally get the e-mail, I was starting to feel left out.

However, I wasn't "aware" (forgive the pun) the Hayden Christensen was popular, or that he was a star for that matter. ;)