Anybody have insights on these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elephantz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any information on these schools and their programs (that can't already be found on their websites, perhaps?) I'm interested in a small class size or a smaller ratio of faculty to students because I thrive in those kinds of environments, unlike the 500 student courses in undergrad (even 100 students per lecture is too much for me).

I'm looking to apply for an MPH with a concentration/emphasis in Health Management/Policy/Administration because I'd like to ultimately run programs and organizations that can help communities be healthier.

Boston University
Columbia University
Drexel University
Indiana University at Bloomington
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
San Diego State University
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Pittsburgh
West Virginia University

Looking to apply for Fall 2015 or maybe Fall 2014/Spring 2015 if my GRE scores are good enough and the deadlines are late enough. Under 3.0 GPA (cumulative), over 3.0 (major). No related work experience, do have plenty internship experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm waiting to hear back from UIC (my top choice) and I can tell you that when I visited and spoke with admissions, they told me about 75 people/year start in each masters class. I don't know how many of them are teaching each semester, but the faculty is also very large and there are a lot of dual appointments, usually between the public health school and the med school, too.

I've spoken with their admissions assistant director a few times, including last year in person to learn about the program, and he's always been really helpful. Their admissions are closed now-- the deadline was February 1st-- but this is about the time I contacted them last year and I found it helpful in deciding to apply for 2014 rather than waiting. They only admit for fall, which is pretty common, but they do also admit credit non-degree students at other times of year and you can use that credit towards your degree there if you're admitted and attend later.

Oops-- I should add that when I went, I asked specifically about MS entrants, which are far fewer. The MPH program is larger. In 2010, there were 265 total new enrollments across all programs at UIC public health. There were 317 total MPH students.
http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/DataReport2010.pdf