Anybody hear from Pittsburgh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pookee456

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AADSAS application was mailed on 7/10 and I have not heard from Pittsburgh yet. They haven't even deposited my check.. :/

anyone hear from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from someone else that they don't start sending out invites until September. They seem to go through apps pretty quickly though, last year they got my App on a Monday, I got the interview invite that Thursday.

I'll ask next week at Orientation, I know a number of people were wondering about that.

My app was mailed out 7/2 and I got an app received email from them on 8/14. They still haven't cashed my check either, and I sent it 7/9. In the email they say they haven't opened up interview dates yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the same boat. they haven't cashed my check that i sent out 1.5 months ago. No word on my app status either.

Yeah, I'd guess you guys would start hearing back from them in the next week or three, maybe they only just started looking at apps. My app was in December, so I guess that's why I had the quick turn around.

Haha, atleast you early birds might get an interview when the weather isn't quite so cold. My interview at Pitt was in February, and it was like 5 degrees without windchill, hehe. :)

Yeah, I'd guess you guys would start hearing back from them in the next week or three, maybe they only just started looking at apps. My app was in December, so I guess that's why I had the quick turn around.

Haha, atleast you early birds might get an interview when the weather isn't quite so cold. My interview at Pitt was in February, and it was like 5 degrees without windchill, hehe. :)

Quite a change for an Irvine guy huh? :D Hey Vic thanks for the post in regards to the schools! Please let me know how you like your first year!! Good Luck! Goooo Anteaters!! lol

Quite a change for an Irvine guy huh? :D Hey Vic thanks for the post in regards to the schools! Please let me know how you like your first year!! Good Luck! Goooo Anteaters!! lol

Haha, yeah, I'm not particularly looking forward to my first Winter, gotta stock up on those cold weather clothes, haha.

Go Anteaters! ZoT!

Interview invite!

"The available interview dates are October 19, November 2, November 23, and December 7, 2009. These sessions will begin promptly at 8:45 am, and will end at approximately 2:45 pm. Allow at least two hours between the end of the program and flight time if you are planning on a departure from Pittsburgh International Airport.

This visit will provide an opportunity for you to learn more about the School of Dental Medicine, tour our facility, and meet current students, as well as to interview for a position in the Class of 2014. We are very enthusiastic about our program and our simulation labs and the opportunities they afford our students.

You will find information regarding accomodations, public transportation, parking, and directions in a seperate email after you have confirmed."

Congrats! I think you'll really like Pitt when you visit, it's a great school.

Some Tips:

When you land at the airport, DO NOT TAKE A TAXI, the airport is rather far from Pittsburgh, and the Taxi will be close to 50 bucks. There is a bus that the city provides called the 28X, it costs like 2.75 and takes you all the way into the city.

I'd suggest the Hampton Inn or the Holiday Inn University Center, they're both within 5 minutes walking distance from the school, and they both have dental school rates for interviews.

And bring some warm clothes, it's starting to get cold!

See you at your interview!

Congrats! I think you'll really like Pitt when you visit, it's a great school.

Some Tips:

When you land at the airport, DO NOT TAKE A TAXI, the airport is rather far from Pittsburgh, and the Taxi will be close to 50 bucks. There is a bus that the city provides called the 28X, it costs like 2.75 and takes you all the way into the city.

I'd suggest the Hampton Inn or the Holiday Inn University Center, they're both within 5 minutes walking distance from the school, and they both have dental school rates for interviews.

And bring some warm clothes, it's starting to get cold!

See you at your interview!

Hi, thanks for the tips!!
What do you exactly mean by "they both have dental school rates for interviews?"

Hi, thanks for the tips!!
What do you exactly mean by "they both have dental school rates for interviews?"

If you call the hotels directly, ask for in house reservations, and say that you're interviewing at Pitt, you'll get a special discounted rate on staying there. I suggested those two because I've stayed at both of them, and they're REALLY close to school, though Rose will likely send you a list of hotels. I liked the rooms and location of the holiday inn better, but the Hampton Inn had free breakfast... but I think food is being provided at the interview maybe? And although both hotels are less than a half a mile away from the dental school, that area of Oakland can be a bit confusing if you've never been to the area, and so the free hotel shuttle that both hotels have are really nice.

i would have never guessed pitt to respond so fast. what days are you guys going to schedule for?

anyone think it's a good idea to have an interview at pittsburgh on nov 23rd and then take a train or something afterwards to boston for an interview at BU on the 24th??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you call the hotels directly, ask for in house reservations, and say that you're interviewing at Pitt, you'll get a special discounted rate on staying there. I suggested those two because I've stayed at both of them, and they're REALLY close to school, though Rose will likely send you a list of hotels. I liked the rooms and location of the holiday inn better, but the Hampton Inn had free breakfast... but I think food is being provided at the interview maybe? And although both hotels are less than a half a mile away from the dental school, that area of Oakland can be a bit confusing if you've never been to the area, and so the free hotel shuttle that both hotels have are really nice.

thanks for the reply.
Would it make any difference if you were to do the interview early?
Say on Oct. 19 compared to on Dec.
Would you say the eariler the better chance?

From what I was told, they like to pick 40 from the group that interviews before December, and 4 from the group that interviews after December. So although I'd suggest doing the earlier one, I don't think it would make a big difference. My interview was in February and I was accepted 2 weeks later, they're pretty fast.

Invited for interview! Can't wait to come check Pittsburgh out. I've heard nothing but great things about the school and city.

I think I'm gonna shoot for the Oct 19th date. Anyone joining?

Vicviper thanks for the great info!

Invited for interview! Can't wait to come check Pittsburgh out. I've heard nothing but great things about the school and city.

I want to have it on the same date with you,Oct 19th but did you actually receive the confirmation mail? Cuz I just checked my email and replied. I have to get that date tho. I called them but couldn't even leave a voice mail. Did you actually get a confirmation mail?

Interview invite too! Emailed them requesting 11/2.. which would be great, because I'll go from Pitt on 11/2 to VCU on 11/3 to Maryland on 11/4. Knock out the whole area in one go!!!

Remember guys, Pitt is on eastern time, and the office closes shop at 4:30, so don't expect any replies until tomorrow!

And us students really are looking forward to interviews, that means decent free food for us, Pitt had the best lunch of all of my interviews last year. Oh, yeah, and that whole, meeting new students...yada yada... :)

Just got their interview invite today! I also requested for November 2nd. I'm crossing my fingers that date works out since I have an exam and a final scheduled for 2 of the other dates listed.

Has anyone received a conformation e-mail yet?

From what I was told, they like to pick 40 from the group that interviews before December, and 4 from the group that interviews after December. So although I'd suggest doing the earlier one, I don't think it would make a big difference. My interview was in February and I was accepted 2 weeks later, they're pretty fast.

Do you know how many people interview for those 40 acceptances? I requested November 23rd which is going to be super cold for me considering I've never seen snow haha

Do you know how many people interview for those 40 acceptances? I requested November 23rd which is going to be super cold for me considering I've never seen snow haha

Here's the numbers from 2008, they interviewed 260 people, and accepted 80, so if you get an interview, you've got about a 1/3 chance, just based on numbers. And yeah, i'm looking forward to the snow too, I'm from California, so while I've seen snow on the ground, I've yet to see it actually fall.

chances are a little higher... assuming that some people recd multiple offers and turned down pitt.

Here's the numbers from 2008, they interviewed 260 people, and accepted 80, so if you get an interview, you've got about a 1/3 chance, just based on numbers. And yeah, i'm looking forward to the snow too, I'm from California, so while I've seen snow on the ground, I've yet to see it actually fall.
Im little confused here.
Numbers just dont make sense to me.
They interview 260 and accept 80? or They interview 260 and 80 end up attending Pitt?
My guess is that Pitt would accept close to 150-160 and about half decline and the other half attend (80).
Am I wrong?
Thanks for your inputs Vicviper! Look forward meeting you in person!:thumbup:

mine was sent 8/14 and I just got the interview invite email today.

meeeeeeeeee :D:D:D I'm driving down saturday night and partying it up in the great city of pittsburgh, gottta make sure that night life is hopping haha jk I hear it's an awesome school. So excited!!!!!!

Here are the numbers from 07. Actually out of staters have around 1/5 chance after interview.

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=563195

Hm..interesting..this is from Pitt website
Offers of Admission
The Admissions Committee of the School of Dental Medicine is the sole determining body that decides to whom offers of admission will be made. Admission is offered based on criteria discussed above.
By general agreement among schools, the earliest date of acceptance to American dental schools is December 1. A rolling admissions' process begins on this date and continues until the class is filled. The School of Dental Medicine class size is limited to 80 seats. All admission decisions for those seats are made by the Admissions Committee. Applicants are notified initially by phone; followed by written acceptance.

So, I am wondering if Doc's posting is wrong for Pitt? b/c class size is 80 and they accepted 78 for that year? I think after ppl declining, the actual class will be less than 50 if they only accepted 78.
Not that this ratio is important, the numbers were just off to me. :)

I was in the second batch AADSAS mailing...but didn't receive invite yet...

Here are the numbers I've got from the ADEA 2008 book,

In State: Applied: 254, Interviewed, 73, Enrolled 40
OOS: Applied: 1860, Interviewed, 187, Enrolled 40

So I was generalizing a bit when I gave those numbers before, haha. Pitt is a bit odd in that it's a Private school that is Publicly funded, and so you can see the 40/40 split in residency. So all things considered, and taking into assumption that say, 40 acceptances will be turned down, and lets arbitrarily take 20 off each pile, IS would have about 2/3 chance of getting accepted, and OOS would say have 1/4. And remember, just big generalizations here.

Though acceptance isn't based on random chance, and since all students are equalized at the interviews - Pitt ignores GPA and DAT scores after interviews are granted (your interviewer can only see your Personal statement, and the non-coursework sections of your App) - it's up to you to prove yourself to your interviewer. My advice, be natural, be yourself, and since you know who your interviewer is before you eat lunch with the current students, ask them about your interviewer - I know this was a big help for me. Most of all, relax, all of the interviews are very conversational, and they're not trying to interrogate you. Plus, all of the faculty who do interviews are ones who want to do interviews, and they're very nice people.

Good luck, and don't stress!

recently requested my interview date be on november 23rd...no confirmtion email back yet.

From the E-Interview Letter:

"Your date will be confirmed by email within the earliest possible time frame, but please allow at least a week for confirmation."

She is definitely not checking her emails in the order they are received. The earliest three spots are fully booked. There is no way people responded to that email within an hour.

She is definitely not checking her emails in the order they are received. The earliest three spots are fully booked. There is no way people responded to that email within an hour.

i responded 20-30 minutes after receiving the email and i still haven't gotten a confirmation back.

I'm with you lotank... I sent mine out about ten minutes after I got the email. Did you RSVP for the Oct. 19 date? I was thinking I would hear back sooner because I picked the earlier date.

i picked october 19th. i hoped they'd get back earlier to those who requested the early date. we need to know if we should buy plane tickets/reserve a hotel.

Just got the confirmation for Oct 19th! See you all there!

anyone for non Oct 19th date get a confirmation?

I will be there too! :)

How do you know they are booked?

Maybe they did not receive your email. I noticed that the email address in their interview email ends with a "+". If you click on her email address, the auto reply has a "+" at the end of her email. Have no idea what is going on.

Last edited:
Maybe they did not receive your email. I noticed that the email address in their interview email ends with a "+". If you click on her email address, the auto reply has a "+" at the end of her email. Have no idea what is going on.

Honestly, that's the only thing that I can think of. That's really really bad luck on my part. I was just trying to follow directions. But I should have just emailed both.

The only other thing is if they did not check them in order. But even if they did that, they still would have got to mine because some of you all said you wrote back minutes after. I was just a few hours.