Dismissal from previous dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

memah.elhadi

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there, I just wanted to know since one of my good friends was dismissed from dental school due to an off campus incident regarding vandalism of property and his criminal record was expunged. I would like to know since he will be reapplying to dental schools in 2027 next year and will it impact negatively significantly and or preclude his admissions to dental schools? The incident happened 8 years ago.
 
Hello there, I just wanted to know since one of my good friends was dismissed from dental school due to an off campus incident regarding vandalism of property and his criminal record was expunged. I would like to know since he will be reapplying to dental schools in 2027 next year and will it impact negatively significantly and or preclude his admissions to dental schools? The incident happened 8 years ago.
you friend should ask the dental schools he/she is interested in...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there, I just wanted to know since one of my good friends was dismissed from dental school due to an off campus incident regarding vandalism of property and his criminal record was expunged. I would like to know since he will be reapplying to dental schools in 2027 next year and will it impact negatively significantly and or preclude his admissions to dental schools? The incident happened 8 years ago.
So this person went to dental school 10 years ago?

Since the record has been expunged, your friend should ask the schools. We need to know how the candidate has "kept up" and is ready for dental school. I agree that the chances are very small; candidate had their chance and blew it. But it just takes one...
 
Last edited:
So this person went to dental school 10 years ago?

Since the record has been expunged, your friend should ask the schools. We need to know how the candidate has "kept up" and is ready for dental school. I agree that the chances are very small; candidate had their chance and blew it. But it just takes one...
he did a post bacc and had a 3.9 and now doing a Masters SMP at Barry with a 3.8. Planning to attend a summer enrichment program in University of Michigan SoD.
 
The candidate will be asked whether they attended dental school in the past, and they likely must submit a transcript in their AADSAS application. I don't have the full details to make a call, but usually the previous school must provide a statement they were in good academic standing and explain why they were expelled. That explanation is key. Conventional wisdom right now suggests the candidate's career in dentistry is over unless one school wants to take a chance, especially a newer school.
 
The candidate will be asked whether they attended dental school in the past, and they likely must submit a transcript in their AADSAS application. I don't have the full details to make a call, but usually the previous school must provide a statement they were in good academic standing and explain why they were expelled. That explanation is key. Conventional wisdom right now suggests the candidate's career in dentistry is over unless one school wants to take a chance, especially a newer school.
so is the race in dentistry over or what?
 
so is the race in dentistry over or what?

Without any additional information about the charge or the decision to expel, there's no reason to believe that readmission is possible without a thorough discussion. The dental profession relies on a reputation of high integrity and high virtue; we have enough problems going on where this isn't the case with current professionals. Admitting someone who got expelled from dental school who has not since been readmitted for the last 10 years is a sign that the bulk majority of dental schools are probably not going to take a shot. One can try to appeal to brand new schools, but I can't confidently say that the race is worth continuing (in the US or Canada).

I'd encourage you to watch
 
Last edited: