anybody heard about LAU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a new Medical school opened up in Lebanon recently and it's part of LAU (Lebanese American University).. they claim to be an American curriculum but that's about it.. no mention of clinical placement or ability to do electives in the US or anything like that. They mention a consultancy contract with Harvard Medical International... whatever that means. The first class just started this September 20009!

so anybody knows any other information or whether or not it might be a good idea to go there?

p.s. I'm from the region so I wouldn't mind studying there if it proves credible.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I just looked at their website, and they award the MD degree. Do they teach in English?

And Harvard does mention LAU on their website. I'm intrigued.

Yeah the teaching is in English.

Did they mention it on Harvard Medical School's website? or Harvard Medical International? I only found it at the latter which seems to have many programs in many countries.. so this is most likely nowhere like the relationship that Cornell Qatar holds with Cornell

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome, I didn't know LAU is opening up a Med School!

If you're interested in staying in the Beirut area, you can also try looking into AUB...

Anyone studied Pharmacy (6-yr PharmD) at LAU? it's ACPE accredited so it must be very good. Please share your experience.

If I have a BPharm (5-yr) from Egypt, I can just apply for 6th yr and obtain a PharmD?

Anyone studied Pharmacy (6-yr PharmD) at LAU? it's ACPE accredited so it must be very good. Please share your experience.

If I have a BPharm (5-yr) from Egypt, I can just apply for 6th yr and obtain a PharmD?

I doubt you can just do your 6th year. Most schools cap the amount of classes you can transfer, for economic reasons and more than that how can they award you a 6 degree for just 1 year of course work.

I have a friend that goes to LAU. I didn't want to be a guinea pig so I decided against it. What do you mean by clinical placement? Med school electives or residency?

So a new Medical school opened up in Lebanon recently and it's part of LAU (Lebanese American University).. they claim to be an American curriculum but that's about it.. no mention of clinical placement or ability to do electives in the US or anything like that. They mention a consultancy contract with Harvard Medical International... whatever that means. The first class just started this September 20009!

so anybody knows any other information or whether or not it might be a good idea to go there?

p.s. I'm from the region so I wouldn't mind studying there if it proves credible.

First question I would ask is can you speak arabic? It is pretty much a requirement for all 3 english medical schools in Lebanon. AUB, Balamand, or LAU. The consultancy thing is harvard basically sells its curriculum to LAU. Its not easy to come up with the required and appropriate curriculum from scratch. I talked to their dean, I think he is great, I think the school has a lot of potential.

Thanks for the info regarding the Harvard curriculum Kash.. I can speak Arabic and i already started working on the application. indeed it looks like it has potential to be a good school.

I doubt you can just do your 6th year. Most schools cap the amount of classes you can transfer, for economic reasons and more than that how can they award you a 6 degree for just 1 year of course work.
ya, I think I'll have to do at least 3 years a LAU in order to graduate. I started with the application process, hope things will turn out great for all of us!!

hi, i am a premed student at LAU. it has a good program and it is growing up fast. it has the accreditation and will have the full one this year.
but i really recommend that if u have a goog GPA to study in the USA because it is better and more effective