Anybody Interested in Applying to Brown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dribble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was really excited to hear that Brown will be making their MPH program part of an official school of public health, which I believe they did mostly in order to be competitive for grants available to just recognized schools of public health. Wish I went to Brown for undergrad as they have a fantastic global health program, kinda excited about applying for their mph in the future! I think one big advantage for Brown is the strong program already there, plus they'll be the only public health school in the state, though I guess national accreditation will take two years. In terms of global health, I'd rank Brown right up there with JHU, Emory, UNC, Tulane, GW and others.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to their Ph.D. program, but it's weird-I haven't heard from anyone who has applied to any of their programs as of now...

I applied for Msc Epi

I called and received information that they will most likely let us know (or at least those who applied to the Msc Epi) by February. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really excited to hear that Brown will be making their MPH program part of an official school of public health, which I believe they did mostly in order to be competitive for grants available to just recognized schools of public health. Wish I went to Brown for undergrad as they have a fantastic global health program, kinda excited about applying for their mph in the future! I think one big advantage for Brown is the strong program already there, plus they'll be the only public health school in the state, though I guess national accreditation will take two years. In terms of global health, I'd rank Brown right up there with JHU, Emory, UNC, Tulane, GW and others.

Brown is in the process of making their program much larger. As it stands, they've always had a pretty good sized research program with their current faculty (who have appointments in the medical school). As for rankings--I think it's a bit premature to try and do that as of now since they aren't established as a school yet, and they are still smaller compared to the programs mentioned.

I applied to Brown for the PhD in Epi. As far as I can see, they do have a really strong program, but their recruitment is not really too persuasive; yet I applied lol. As the new School grows, I'm sure they will be putting in a lot more recruitment efforts, though.

Brown is in the process of making their program much larger. As it stands, they've always had a pretty good sized research program with their current faculty (who have appointments in the medical school). As for rankings--I think it's a bit premature to try and do that as of now since they aren't established as a school yet, and they are still smaller compared to the programs mentioned.

Larger? Student or faculty wise? Outside of the move of becoming an official school of public health, I haven't seen anything about making the program "much larger". I kinda perceive Brown as having a reputation for high quality work, versus just trying to catch more tuition dollars.

I think that Brown has been offering the MPH for a while, and that mostly this move was done in order to secure grants/funding just available for official school of public health, and the fact that top candidates are looking to go to an official school of public health. Brown, as a highly raked undergraduate institution, is known for have a large number of Rhodes scholars, Fulbright and Gates fellows, and the big reason I say that they'll be high in the rankings is the great reputation the school has going in, plus Brown easily has one of the best Global Health programs in the country.

Larger? Student or faculty wise? Outside of the move of becoming an official school of public health, I haven't seen anything about making the program "much larger". I kinda perceive Brown as having a reputation for high quality work, versus just trying to catch more tuition dollars.

I think that Brown has been offering the MPH for a while, and that mostly this move was done in order to secure grants/funding just available for official school of public health, and the fact that top candidates are looking to go to an official school of public health. Brown, as a highly raked undergraduate institution, is known for have a large number of Rhodes scholars, Fulbright and Gates fellows, and the big reason I say that they'll be high in the rankings is the great reputation the school has going in, plus Brown easily has one of the best Global Health programs in the country.

I actually just talked to a professor yesterday-the MPH program has been functioning for around ten years now. The school of public health was officially created and allowed to seek accreditation recently though. According to the website they're provisionally accredited, but this seems like more of a formality since all schools go through the 2 year process and I really doubt that Brown would not eventually gain accreditation. Also, the program is going to be expanded based on what I've been reading on the website-they opened some new doctoral programs this year as well.

I'm not sure of the student side, but I know they've done some faculty recruiting recently (it was something I've run into as I'm taking a look at jobs out there).

I applied for the MSc in epidemiology. On friday, I got an email asking me to call them today. It lasted less than eight minutes, so I'm not sure if it went well or not, but he said we'd hear back in a month or so.

I applied for the MSc in epidemiology. On friday, I got an email asking me to call them today. It lasted less than eight minutes, so I'm not sure if it went well or not, but he said we'd hear back in a month or so.
Did they say that the usual protocol was a phone call interview? I have yet to hear anything back except for the estimated dates that applicants should hear from the admissions staff...

Did they say that the usual protocol was a phone call interview? I have yet to hear anything back except for the estimated dates that applicants should hear from the admissions staff...
I can't say for sure. I know it is for PhD (Applied for PhD last year, never got an interview, and then ended up waitlisted), but I'm not sure if it is for the MSc program. I don't think most MS programs require an interview, though. It's hard to find answers online (the one Epi MSc interview post on Gradcafe results is mine), too; I didn't see anyone else indicate if that is normal or not, to be honest.

I'm not a hugely strong applicant, so I'm still not really sure how to interpret the request. It wasn't a very long conversation, and I don't think it went very well because I got super nervous and froze. I sent an email Friday (1/24) to the professor that called me because I was so disappointed in how I did on the interview, and just honestly stated my interest, etc, and thanked him for his time. I'm not sure if that will help or hurt, but I was thinking that if I already blew it with the interview, it couldn't possibly hurt.

I wish I could give a better answer, but it was hard to tell about the interview, and I couldn't much out online, sorry!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes for you! I'll try to post when I hear back as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I received an email last week asking to come to Providence for an official Recruitment day in Feb. I applied to the Epi ScM.

I received an email last week asking to come to Providence for an official Recruitment day in Feb. I applied to the Epi ScM.
they explained it was to learn more about your interests and meet potential advisers. They said it was "to pursue your candidacy further." Essentially an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
they explained it was to learn more about your interests and meet potential advisers. They said it was "to pursue your candidacy further." Essentially an interview.
Received that as well, but unfortunately cannot attend due to a work conflict. Good luck!!

I really wish they had given us more than two weeks notice...

Has anyone who applied for the Brown MPH heard anything yet?

I didn't get an invitation, which is probably not a good sign, but it was a long shot anyways, I guess. I'm even more confused now in regards the phone interview I had last month--I'm wondering if maybe I was on the borderline of possibly being invited, but they called to see, and it didn't go well, so that was pretty much the end of it. I'm kind of bummed because I felt I had a really good fit with some of the research going on, but I'm not shocked.

Congrats to those that did get invited, and good luck! :)

Recruitment Day is Monday- Anyone else going to be there?

Hi-
I' feel the uncertainty while you all are in limbo waiting. Please know that if interested in training in the New England area and options you have pursued so far don't work out, UMass Medical School is still accepting applications and have fully funded slots. Our small program offers rigorous training in epi, biostat, and health services research and rich research opportunities. It is highly interactive learning with small class sizes which allow for student tailoring of the program to fit research interests.
Good luck with the process and beyond - it is a very stressful experience. Knowing there may be additional options may reduce anxiety.

Attachments

• CPHR Brochure 2014.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
Hi-
I' feel the uncertainty while you all are in limbo waiting. Please know that if interested in training in the New England area and options you have pursued so far don't work out, UMass Medical School is still accepting applications and have fully funded slots. Our small program offers rigorous training in epi, biostat, and health services research and rich research opportunities. It is highly interactive learning with small class sizes which allow for student tailoring of the program to fit research interests.
Good luck with the process and beyond - it is a very stressful experience. Knowing there may be additional options may reduce anxiety.

Looks like UMass has a great niche PhD program for those seeking to further their education. Sounds like candidates are guaranteed a stipend, a big deal as rarely some PhD programs don't, I think that BU doesn't have funding for their doctoral level programs in public health and they charge them tuition. Never go to a school that charges their PhD students tuition.

Last edited:
I applied to Brown for a MPH and just noticed that on my ApplyWeb page, the "application complete" date was updated to yesterday (it previously said October). Anyone else notice a change?

I also applied for Brown's MPH and I checked and the "complete" date is changed to 2/13 for me too! Wonder what that means...

I also applied for Brown's MPH and I checked and the "complete" date is changed to 2/13 for me too! Wonder what that means...
I might be way off here, but when I applied to Brown last year the completed date kept changing--for some reason the GRE loaded date kept updating (I'm guessing it's linked to the last time they loaded GREs in general) and the completed date kept matching the new GRE date. It might not be the same thing, but I wanted to share in case that's what's going on with your app, since I know we all get super stressed while waiting for decisions!

I wrote a thank you email to the profs I met, received an email reply stating I would be hearing positive news next week. Fingers crossed

Epihopeful, I emailed my profs too and received a similar email! Hopefully this is good news for us! I'm already getting nervous from the wait!

Was just accepted to the MPH program at brown!!! Have never been to providence!

Also, does anyone know how many students are in the public health program?

Can anyone provide some feedback regarding their thoughts on Brown after the Recruitment Day? I am very enthusiastic about the Public Health school, and the faculty have been very accommodating (good sign!). However, I was unable to attend the Recruitment Day...