Anybody notice the increase of r2 leaving radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsswtich

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just saw on auntminnie so many open r2/pgy3 spots....whats the deal?

I, myself, am leaving but didn't realize there were so many people in similar situations as me.

Members don't see this ad.

I, myself, am leaving but didn't realize there were so many people in similar situations as me.

Is it an increase over other years?

4 or 5 out of 1100 residents or so doesn't worry me too much. We have no idea the situations surrounding any of these vacancies either.

Was curious so I checked out how it compares to the previous year. In 2016 there have been about 10 openings posted on AM compared to 6 last year during the same time period. So really not a significant difference. However, the quality of the programs this year that have openings appears much higher for what that's worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could be some of the people that SOAPed into Rads in the past deciding that its not for them.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of this is dominoes. One mans trash is another mans treasure

It's not always people leaving the specialty.... It's one person moving from one program to another

Probably because you have a lot of IMGs with limited options who join radiology and later jump ship as soon as the opportunity arises. Having 1 or 2 years of residency significantly increases your qualifications as an IMG.

Probably because you have a lot of IMGs with limited options who join radiology and later jump ship as soon as the opportunity arises. Having 1 or 2 years of residency significantly increases your qualifications as an IMG.

Troll post.

Troll post.

Sadly, I've known 3 IMGs who did this. I would do the same if I was an IMG and wanted to get into surgery or some other more competitive field and couldn't match in the beginning. Just because you don't like what I'm saying doesn't make me a troll. Reality sucks sometimes. Just as it does when you finish residency, and all that hard work, and realize that you don't have a job. Reality can hit you like a brick wall sometimes.

Everything is cyclical in nature. When med students see a bad job market, they run away from the specialty. When the job market recovers, people return. It's human nature and predictable. When people realize how overrated IM and surgery are, they drop out and try to get into fields like radiology.

Everything is cyclical in nature. When med students see a bad job market, they run away from the specialty. When the job market recovers, people return. It's human nature and predictable. When people realize how overrated IM and surgery are, they drop out and try to get into fields like radiology.

Let's hope so.

http://apdr.org/residents-seeking-positions/

If you read that site, some are FMG's but many are US grads who want to switch into radiology.

I am currently a PGY-2 Orthopaedic Surgery resident seeking a career change to diagnostic radiology for the coming year starting July 2016. Any information regarding open positions would be very helpful.

I am currently a third year Neurosurgery resident at an academic medical center who is planning a career change to Diagnostic Radiology. I am seeking a PGY-2/R1 position starting July 2016. My current PD is supportive of this decision. Preference is to find an advanced position outside the NRMP match.

I am writing to express my interest in an Advanced (PGY-2 / R1) Diagnostic Radiology Residency position starting July 1, 2016. I am currently a PGY-2 in general surgery in an ACGME accredited residency. I have graduated from a US medical school.

I am a PGY-1 Pediatrics Resident in Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami FL. I am looking for an opening position in Radiology starting July 2016 as a PGY-2/ R1. My CV and USMLE scores (1-3) are competitive. Any information would be helpful, and I would be happy to send any documentation. My Program Director is aware and supportive.

http://apdr.org/residents-seeking-positions/

If you read that site, some are FMG's but many are US grads who want to switch into radiology.

I am currently a PGY-2 Orthopaedic Surgery resident seeking a career change to diagnostic radiology for the coming year starting July 2016. Any information regarding open positions would be very helpful.

I am currently a third year Neurosurgery resident at an academic medical center who is planning a career change to Diagnostic Radiology. I am seeking a PGY-2/R1 position starting July 2016. My current PD is supportive of this decision. Preference is to find an advanced position outside the NRMP match.

I am writing to express my interest in an Advanced (PGY-2 / R1) Diagnostic Radiology Residency position starting July 1, 2016. I am currently a PGY-2 in general surgery in an ACGME accredited residency. I have graduated from a US medical school.

I am a PGY-1 Pediatrics Resident in Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami FL. I am looking for an opening position in Radiology starting July 2016 as a PGY-2/ R1. My CV and USMLE scores (1-3) are competitive. Any information would be helpful, and I would be happy to send any documentation. My Program Director is aware and supportive.

I don't doubt there are many who don't want to see patients and would choose radiology over their respected fields. I'm not dissing radiology, just stating my observations and hypotheses. Most radiologists I've met are really nice and cool dudes/gals and am sad to see the field become less competitive due to the supply glut. We need smart radiologists and not dumbdumbs.

Sadly, I've known 3 IMGs who did this. I would do the same if I was an IMG and wanted to get into surgery or some other more competitive field and couldn't match in the beginning. Just because you don't like what I'm saying doesn't make me a troll. Reality sucks sometimes. Just as it does when you finish residency, and all that hard work, and realize that you don't have a job. Reality can hit you like a brick wall sometimes.

I don't know any radiologist who is without a job. I am currently an attending a few years in private practice and faced the reality a few years ago which was a well paid job with much better lifestyle than surgery.

The reason your post is a troll post is because doing another residency like radiology does not increase the chance of an IMG. In fact, because of the funding issue it decreases their chance.

More people definitely switch INTO radiology from surgery/surgery subspecialties than the other way around.

When I was a resident, we had former ortho and neurosurg residents. It happens more frequently than people think.

Where do you see them on the auntminnie website?

Can somebody tell us how to find open positions on aunt minnie?
Just browse through the resident forum. There are several posts