Anybody started yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surge

Medicinski Znanstvenik
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I am, my seven year stint (wishful thinking) as a mudphud at Yale has begun.

No place to live (cool postdoc is letting me crash at his place), no money, not even an ID card yet, but I am undeniably here, and here to stay. I'm starting my first lab rotation, and Yale being Yale (they discourage lab rotations the summer before), I'm the only one. Damn, why do I have to be such a nerd? :D (after five weeks of traveling in Europe, I need, afterall, to feel productive again [and I need the money, too]).

So I guess I am wondering if any of you fellow newbies, especially those at schools that require/encourage the rotations have started yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Penn doesn't require or even particularly encourage the summer rotation before starting, but alas I started. Only 3 students at Penn (out of an incoming class of 15) did the summer rotation, but I know more would have had Penn not have taken so many (including myself) off the waitlist so late. I'm commuting into my lab every day, which is a pretty big hassle. This turned into more than a hassle with the flooding that hit the area last Friday and stranded me 20 miles from home. Ugh, longest commute ever.

Anyways, I'm enjoying this lab much more than my last lab. I'm actively looking for housing as well. Problem is that the housing market in Philadelphia (at least in Center City) is very very tight, so I'm having a hard time finding affordable accomodations. With any luck, I'll have something this week.

Have fun surge!

I am supposed to start my rotation on July 1st... haven't even picked a lab yet... oh well....:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be starting up next monday, which means i should be packing now since I'm driving there. No place to live yet and no idea who i will be working for, but it's all good.

I started at Southwestern around the end of May (summer rotation strongly encouraged) and I think the rest of us are all here now (about 10). One nice thing about starting early is I'll get to take a few weeks off at the end of the summer before med school starts. And once you're in the program the paychecks start coming, so I'll get a nice paid vacation after about 2 months of work :)

How are you guys liking it so far?

I'm not really doing any labwork as of yet, just taking care of everyday things (e.g. place to sleep) and reading. The area I'm doing the rotation in has always fascinated me, but I have a lot of catching up to do.

How are the schools in the summer? Do you get to hang out with other students?
Yale's pretty research oriented, so there's a good number of upper classmen I'm starting to hang out with. Pretty cool (they know how to party) :D