Anybody used Peer IX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

namethatsmell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody used PEER IX and willing to comment on how they like it?

I have about 2 weeks till I take the written boards and have been getting a little frustrated with my current question bank.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody used PEER IX and willing to comment on how they like it?

I have about 2 weeks till I take the written boards and have been getting a little frustrated with my current question bank.

Thanks!

Fine timing -- was wondering this myself. I did the pretest and came to the conclusion that, with my own written board less than two weeks away, now isn't the time to screw with a new bank.

I did much of Rosh and have left a third of the bank (the ~2100 question attending bank, not the ~1100 question resident bank) incomplete to go to PEER VIII.

What's your current bank, and why the frustration?

Fine timing -- was wondering this myself. I did the pretest and came to the conclusion that, with my own written board less than two weeks away, now isn't the time to screw with a new bank.
I think this is the key. Whether PEER IX is good or not is kind of irrelevant at this point. With less than 2w to the exam (any significant exam like this), double down on what you've got.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, I guess I agree with you and gutonc...was only really gonna consider it if multiple people chimed in saying "PEER 9 is better than riding down a rainbow while eating Ted's hot dogs and watching the final four." I liked PEER VIII cuz it's not a bajillion questions but seemed really high-yield and thought PEER IX updates may be meaningful without having a ton of questions.

I did much of Rosh and have left a third of the bank (the ~2100 question attending bank, not the ~1100 question resident bank) incomplete to go to PEER VIII.

What's your current bank, and why the frustration?

I've actually been using Rosh, too. I really liked it at first, but in the last few weeks I've been getting multiple questions on the same somewhat-obscure disease processes with similar learning points as well as questions on similar subjects with learning points that seem to contradict each other. Overall it's fine I guess, maybe I've just been getting an odd run of questions. I also won't be able to finish it (2000+ question version) and was hoping doing something smaller would satisfy the type-A in me.

Can someone tell me how many questions are in Peer IX?

It has 404 questions. PEER VIII is 100x's better. I'm only a resident, but I thought that PEER VIII's questions were very similar to the in-service. A lot of PEER IX's are written simply to trick you. The explanations are much better in PEER VIII. I've had multiple questions where a picture stimuli is required to answer, and no picture pops up. It appears that they are still working out the kinks. I am not too happy I spent $179 on it, and I would advise others to look elsewhere. I plan on asking for a refund or a partial refund from ACEP, because this product clearly is not ready for prime time. On top of that, it says you still will have access to PEER VIII questions with purchase, however, I have not found that to be true.

Reactions: 1 user
As an update, I have to say the ACEP member folks are very responsive. They addressed all my concerns quickly. A staff member is going through all the picture questions to make sure the pic pops up. I got a partial refund to the rate of $95 which is what they are charging per resident if programs buy the material. They added access for PEER VIII and will add access to PEER VIII for all residents. That's worth the $95 in and of itself. The reason why it will be more expensive was that they will continually add new content over time instead of rewriting new questions every few years. They seem to have a dedicated staff to try and make this thing work and value feedback. Is it perfect? No, but at $95, it's good and cheap for resident in-service prep. With the access to PEER VIII, I think it's all you need for the inservice.

Is the info on PEER IX supposed to be the most up to date for the exams? I just had a question about myocarditis and they state that endocardial biopsies are no longer the gold standard for definitive diagnosis. They say its Cardiac MRI. I am pretty sure Rosh Review still has it a biopsy. So which is it for the boards? Go by what PEER IX says?

I read through First Aid, which was probably a waste of time. I'm now about 70% through with Rosh, and I plan on finishing it. I am very, very pleased with it. I am not at all frustrated by the repetition. Either this repitition reinforces my knowledge, or else I just answer it and move on to the next question without wasting time re-reading what I know. Also, I think you can finish the last 50% of Rosh 50% faster than the first 50%.

I feel like I still have time to go through Peer VIII, but maybe I'm deluding myself.

Last edited:
Really? You would think the newer version would be better. Should I stop using it and jump to VIII?

I don't know, but that's what I'm planning on doing.

EDIT: Although I might not, since I am kind of getting sick of doing questions.

I've gone through PEER IX but not VIII - questions seemed decent. At least five were repeated verbatim throughout the book which makes me think there might be some editing issues. Although I haven't gone through VIII I think both are probably adequate and get you into the habit of answering boards questions.

I've also done some Rosh Review but their questions seem a little less boards-like if that makes sense. They're much more straight forward.

I tried First Aid but struggled to get through it - just wasn't very reader-friendly IMHO.

The Ultimate Emergency Medicine Guide is another one I used and found it super helpful. It's my insurance policy as it has a 300% guarantee to pass boards