anybody willing to share their personal statements with me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourstar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone would allow me to check out their personal statements,,, i just want to view some examples

anybody mind or is the personal statement something people don't usually share?

Members don't see this ad.

go buy those personal statement preparation books?

will you be plagiarizing?

Members don't see this ad :)
premedi-kid said:
will you be plagiarizing?

no, that defeats the whole purpose of writing a PERSONAL statement
i want to show who i am so of course i wont be plagiarizing.

i just want to know what people usually write about and HOW they write it, maybe it might spark an idea or something

fourstar said:
no, that defeats the whole purpose of writing a PERSONAL statement
i want to show who i am so of course i wont be plagiarizing.

i just want to know what people usually write about and HOW they write it, maybe it might spark an idea or something

I think almost everyone writes about what led them to want to become a doctor. As to HOW, just use your own style. A friend of mine used a lot of imagery (since she was a surgical tech). I was more narrative (my mother thought it was boring but I had to be myself).

What not to write:

I want to be a doctor because my girlfriend/boyfriend says I'd be great at it. Oh yeah, I also want to make a bazillion dollars, have naked ladies/dudes run around my house, and drive a car with plenty of bling. I'm pretty sure that it would be really cool to pull the plug. I had a fisher price doctors kit when I was little. :)

ad_sharp said:
What not to write:

I want to be a doctor because my girlfriend/boyfriend says I'd be great at it. Oh yeah, I also want to make a bazillion dollars, have naked ladies/dudes run around my house, and drive a car with plenty of bling. I'm pretty sure that it would be really cool to pull the plug. I had a fisher price doctors kit when I was little. :)

Yeah, the only naked lady/dude running around my house is gonna be ME, b/c when I'm rich I'm gonna be real eccentric.

Sorry OP, just in a silly mood. You might want to ask on the med student forum, and search old SDN threads. My personal statement is lost in the "My Documents" folder somewhere, but I hope you find what you're looking for. The books of essays are really pretty good, with a variety of takes on the whole thing.

Does anyone know the names of these books?

Not sending my PS but I can suggest a few rules to follow...

- Make it different and not boring. Adcoms read a ton of these.

- Have multiple people read it and make sure they're brutally harsh. If they say it's boring, trust them and spruce it up a bit.

- No gramatical errors.

- Many of us science people are not used to writing essays. Make sure it has a beginning and an end that ties back to the beginning.

- A lot of people have done the same extracurriculars as you. Elaborate on why your experiences have been unique or at least how you have learned from them.

- Keep it interesting but don't use up all of your creativity. You need to leave some material for secondaries.

hope these help...

:luck:

anybody altrustic enough to help me out?

oh nevermind, this is a cut throat pre-med gunner board, they only help if there's something in it for them :thumbdown:

Send me an e-mail at [email protected]. I'll dig up mine and send it to you. That goes for anyone else who would like an example. While I don't mind sharing my life story, mine is very unique, so I didn't have much trouble coming up with things to write about. If you have a more normal life, it's going to be more difficult...

My MD/PhD and disadvantaged essays can also be obtained on request. They're just expansions in certain directions on the AMCAS essay.

Here's a book I used:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-5066763-6024736?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I thought it was good because it gave follow up by admissions officers, but I generally was turned off by the essays themselves. My statement ended up being much less "catchy" than the ones in the book.

Personal statements are very individual. I would post mine if I thought it was awesome and would really help you out, but I fear that I could lead folks astray with my example. Part of what makes this so difficult is that the scope of possible topics and styles is very broad. My recommendation is to stop worrying and get started. Once you've got something started, send it to me or any of the other folks who have offered to read statements to get ideas about improving your content/style.

Sorry I can't help you more. I remember how agonizing this can be.

Good luck!
Laurie