Anyone a current Michigan student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livineasi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got questions - can I PM you?

Members don't see this ad.

I have questions regarding housing, but I'll just post them up here instead of asking for a pm.

I've been trying to find decent places to live from various property sites that are on the UMich off-campus living site. I think the most convenient and decent place to live at for the next 4 years would be Tower Plaza, but it is the most expensive. Can anyone tell me about the converted houses-studios around the central campus?

I want to live within walking distance to the school, gym, and library. I plan on flying over there during spring break to make living arrangements so it won't be such a hassle later on. Suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a question about the weather and bringing a car. Would it be inconvenient if I were to not bring my car? I saw a bunch of campus buses going around while I was there for interviews so I think it would probably be unnecessary. As for the weather, I live in the southern eastcoast and school closings due to inclement weather is a rarity. Since it snows a lot in AA, are class cancellations common?

rumor has it that a law school student sued the university and won. Now the school cannot have snow days. The case was something about how exam dates are set since the beginning of the term and dont change, so that if the school cancels a class than the students are less prepared for that exam. The case sounds really stupid and i hope its not true, but in my four years at michigan we have never once had a snowday and it gets really snowy every year

i'm currently an undergrad at umich and will be starting umich dental in the fall. Here is my housing advice:

most "good housing" (close to the dental school) will be taken by undergrads (the dental school is across the street from the undergrad campus). So then your options are living walking distance from the school or bus/driving distance. I would recommend walking distance, it's nice to walk to school and walk to the library without having to worry about driving and parking (driving in ann arbor sucks, not only is there no parking but students walk across the street without looking and are constantly a hazard to avoid). But if you decide to live driving distance the busses run all the time and housing is cheaper.
Living walking distance is a little pricier, there is tower plaza (nice but more pricey), unversity towers (cheaper, still ok), lots of appartments and houses. I would find another incoming dental student and get a two-bedroom appartment or find a house (either of those options will run you aprox $600 /month plus utilities, tv, internet etc), living on your own (1 bedroom appartment) will run you around 1000/month.
Either way i would get move on housing asap.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions

If you can, will you list the names of apartments you know that are walking distance?

What do the majority of dental students do for housing? Do dental students usually live by themselves? That would suck. When should I start looking for housing? I was thinking of finding roomates first and then look for housing together. Ideally it would be nice to get a good group of guys or girls together to get an apt or house together close to the school. Other than posting on the facebook group, how do you recommend finding roomates?

I made a post here the other day, but for some reason it didn't go through so I'm posting it up again.

Is dental care free or discounted for students at UofM? I had two third molars or wisdom teeth removed when I was younger but have one more maxillary left. It started emerging from my gums a few weeks ago and I feel like it is putting pressure and shifting my other teeth. I don't have dental coverage at the moment and would need to pay in cash in order to get the procedure done. I was wondering if it would save me money to wait until school starts since it is not causing me any discomfort or pain.

I'm going up to AA tomorrow to look for a place, I'll let you guys know if I find anything good.

If you are interested in an apartment in walking distance to the dental school PM me. Nice 1 bdrm apartment w/ cool landlord shared parking. 2 blocks from school