Anyone accepted to a program only have observation in one setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer2DPT

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has been accepted or invited to interview to any programs and only had observation hours in one setting? I.e. only outpatient

Just submitted my app and while I feel my other stats are decently competitive I have only been able to get outpatient hours. I have about 1,200 hours in a ortho clinic that did ortho/geriatric/sports/osteoporosis.

Trying to figure out if I should expect rejections or if its possible to get into programs with experience in only one setting.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to go look at each of your individual program's admissions website and see what they have to say regarding observation hours. Each school is different. However, from my own experience, most schools (especially public) STRONGLY RECOMMEND, if not, require observation hours in multiple settings (i.e. home health, extended care, SNF, pediatric, etc.).

If you have a stellar GPA, strong test scores, and great letters of recommendations, I wouldn't fret about the variability of observation sites unless the program you are applying to strictly requires it or it is an extremely competitive program. There are plenty of graduate programs that either simply only "recommend" multiple sites or do not even require verification. For schools that calculate aspects of your application to figure out interview invites and admission based on a point system, I hear the observation hours only count for a lower percentage of the overall total. I would however be very selective and research the programs you are applying to. If it is a requirement and you choose to apply, your application will most likely be sorted out.

Graduate programs recommend observations in multiple settings so that it can give you a better understanding of the overall profession and experience that you can draw from to articulate your answers for say essays, interviews, etc.

You definitely want to get a broader perspective of the profession. Outpatient PT is so different than inpatient. Maybe do 1 or 2 more settings! That will set you apart!