You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone Affected by Govt Shutdown?
Started by PromethazineDM
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any chance of the government staying shut down for years?If so, in what way?
No paycheck for two months. I have three months emergency fund but it's gonna be close until the next paycheck on March 1st.
No paycheck for two months. I have three months emergency fund but it's gonna be close until the next paycheck on March 1st.
How, are you a contractor? VA, DoD, and HHS (USPHS) are not shutdown affected. Coast Guard in DHS is, but they got covered in December by emergency and will be absorbed into DoD if needed. The rare USAID and DoS pharmacists are the only ones who are affected to my knowledge in the Executive Branch.
Any chance of the government staying shut down for years?
Yep, according to Trump it could go on for a ''looooooooong'' time
This is awesome. I just wish they wouldn't pay backpay. Then it would be perfect if it stayed shutdown indefinitely. All I really care about is the roads and the air traffic controllers.Yep, according to Trump it could go on for a ''looooooooong'' time
Don't you have a 401k you can dig into? Also you should have more than three months of emergency funds. You should take this as a wake up call that you are living beyond your means. Hopefully you can survive off ramen for a long time. The real question is do you own a car you can live in? in case you get evicted from lack of payment on your mortgage. I would suggest trying to buy a RV in the near future in case S hits the F. Also learn how to kill and skin deer.No paycheck for two months. I have three months emergency fund but it's gonna be close until the next paycheck on March 1st.
Any chance of the government staying shut down for years?
Years? I doubt it. It would be political suicidie for whoever the optic that's responsible for the shutdown. It's probably months.
It's probably take a lot to govt to reopen with the way both side are posturing. It's more than a debate about the wall.
Once business are hurt by the shutdown, flights get cancelled, TSA workers quitting in record numbers, stock market tanking, SNAP/food stamp recipients unable buy food, etc there are going to a lot of turmoil and riot. I heard a story of TSA worker getting evicted. Most American do not have 6 months emergency and living pay check to pay check.
The pressure from the public will force one side to give in.
I would be surprised if the shutdown continues after SNAP funding runs out
What does Trump care about that
What does Trump care about that
He'll care about the riots. Or maybe this is what both sides want?
What does Trump care about that
He only cares if the optic is he is responsible for shutdown and he is feeling the pressure from his base.
Trump said, "“Do the Dems realize that most of the people not getting paid are Democrats?”
That's why he came out with that weak offer which he took away and offer it again as temporarily to change the optic that's he was willing to negotiate and those Democrats didn't.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't you have a 401k you can dig into? Also you should have more than three months of emergency funds. You should take this as a wake up call that you are living beyond your means. Hopefully you can survive off ramen for a long time. The real question is do you own a car you can live in? in case you get evicted from lack of payment on your mortgage. I would suggest trying to buy a RV in the near future in case S hits the F. Also learn how to kill and skin deer.
I can't tell if this is misguided empathy or schadenfreude (kicking a man while he's down).
If empathy: you should probably work on that.
If schadenfreude: I hope karma bites you in the arse real fast.
This is awesome.
Yeah, probably not empathy.
It's empathetic advice. I don't wanna see that poster become completely homeless. If he is over 50 and lost his job good luck getting a new pharmacy job in some parts of the country. It simply will not happen due to his increased medical insurance costs + saturation.I can't tell if this is misguided empathy or schadenfreude (kicking a man while he's down).
If empathy: you should probably work on that.
If schadenfreude: I hope karma bites you in the arse real fast.
Yeah, probably not empathy.
Last edited:
I can't tell if this is misguided empathy or schadenfreude (kicking a man while he's down).
If empathy: you should probably work on that.
If schadenfreude: I hope karma bites you in the arse real fast.
Yeah, probably not empathy.
This is top rate advice bro for a post-apocalyptic society lol
"riots" LMAO do you know what country you are living in? THIS IS THE LAND OF THE OVERWEIGHT AND OBESE TELEVISION/NETFLIX/YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK/INSTAGRAM WATCHERS. HALF THE US CAN RUN A 9 MIN MILE LET ALONE BE MOTIVATED TO PROTEST LET ALONE RIOT. There will be no riots.He'll care about the riots. Or maybe this is what both sides want?
"riots" LMAO do you know what country you are living in? THIS IS THE LAND OF THE OVERWEIGHT AND OBESE TELEVISION/NETFLIX/YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK/INSTAGRAM WATCHERS. HALF THE US CAN RUN A 9 MIN MILE LET ALONE BE MOTIVATED TO PROTEST LET ALONE RIOT. There will be no riots.
We used to be political apathy but I think it's changing. Look at the 2018 election turn out, all the protest about gun violence, march for women, Flynn water crisis, etc.
I'm willing to bet there will be a huge voter turn out for 2020 presidential election and riot if they cut off SNAP.
Having just run a 9 minute mile this AM for 3 miles I seriously doubt 50% of the US population can do anywhere near that."riots" LMAO do you know what country you are living in? THIS IS THE LAND OF THE OVERWEIGHT AND OBESE TELEVISION/NETFLIX/YOUTUBE/FACEBOOK/INSTAGRAM WATCHERS. HALF THE US CAN RUN A 9 MIN MILE LET ALONE BE MOTIVATED TO PROTEST LET ALONE RIOT. There will be no riots.
But I agree. The worst most people will do is hold the button down long enough for the angry emoji.
yeah i was being conservative. The real percent that can run that is probably closer to 10%.Having just run a 9 minute mile this AM for 3 miles I seriously doubt 50% of the US population can do anywhere near that.
But I agree. The worst most people will do is hold the button down long enough for the angry emoji.
I am not sure you have to be able to run a 9 minute mile to protest. In fact I bet you can protest from a wheelchair even. I doubt you need THAT much upper body strength to shot a gun or hold a picket sign.
But nice sideways insult. Carry on.
But nice sideways insult. Carry on.
The idea of Americans protesting because of loss of entitlements is hilarious.
I mean if the French can do it, I think we can do it. 😉
It's empathetic advice. I don't wanna see that poster become completely homeless.
OK- I'll take your word for it.
All I know is if I followed your advice and told my brother in law (FBI agent missing out on paycheck #2 tomorrow) to learn how to kill and skin deer that the only thing to get killed and skinned would be me.
That's pretty ridiculous that your brother would murder you over what he understands to be offensive advice.OK- I'll take your word for it.
All I know is if I followed your advice and told my brother in law (FBI agent missing out on paycheck #2 tomorrow) to learn how to kill and skin deer that the only thing to get killed and skinned would be me.
Bonus Army - WikipediaThe idea of Americans protesting because of loss of entitlements is hilarious.
Not so funny as one thing Americans are historically competent at is protesting beverage taxes (tea and whiskey) and veterans benefits (Filipino Rebellion, Bonus Army) to governmental change effects.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. it's not a competition, we are just here to help each otherYou are probably the worst poster on here.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
2. try to be more constructive in your criticism of others. not very good to just say something is bad. say why you think it's bad
No paycheck for two months. I have three months emergency fund but it's gonna be close until the next paycheck on March 1st.
If your in the uniformed services (thought DOD was not affected since I’m still getting a paycheck) Who do you bank with? Last time when I was affected I actually had USAA offer me a 0% loan (matching what normally gets deposited into my checking account). Fortunately I didn’t have to dip into my emergency savings.
I thought Navy Federal did the same thing but don’t quote me on that.
If your in the uniformed services (thought DOD was not affected since I’m still getting a paycheck) Who do you bank with? Last time when I was affected I actually had USAA offer me a 0% loan (matching what normally gets deposited into my checking account). Fortunately I didn’t have to dip into my emergency savings.
I thought Navy Federal did the same thing but don’t quote me on that.
USAA is offering low interest (0.01%) loans to USCG, NOAA, and PHS (the three uniformed services impacted by the shutdown), although the loan does require a hard credit check which can damage your credit score. Navy Federal does not usually provide relief to PHS (we don't qualify for membership with Navy Federal for being in PHS alone, we have to have some connection with DOD or the USCG to qualify for membership with Navy Federal, i.e. be a PHS officer detailed to DOD or USCG, or be prior service).
I think the real takeaway here is that during the apocalypse, deer will be most readily available food source. Provided you know how to kill and skin one....said no one ever.
There would be far more hungry people than deer. Even after subtracting the ones that would have no idea how to kill one (much less skin one.) The deer population would be extinct within 2 weeks, and we'd all be back to square 1.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
