Anyone an Early Decision Applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keptium

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone thinking of being an early decision applicant? I was considering doing this, but I was wondering about the stats of people that get in. Is it something like 15 people apply and usually only 2 are accepted so the other 13 people get screwed? Nuts to this.

Members don't see this ad.

tell me your reasons for choosing this route? being an EDP applicant is very challenging. it is not like ugrad where you might have an advantage. for med school, you'll need to be a stellar applicant and if you don't get into any program you'll be screwed because you'll end up apply to other schools late.

It really depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
As usual - I think this is largely dependent on your schoool of choice. I applied EDP this year - got an interview - got in. Here's what you should know.

Stats probably need to be better than average, but NOT stellar (although stellar is also fine). Remember, if you are super competitive then you risk losing better financial aid packages by applying (and being accepted) EDP. Once you're accepted, you MUST attend that school or wait to re-apply next year. Because of this, the school doesn't have to compete for you by offering any free money.

It worked for me cause I was a second year applicant - I applied to one school only (all or nothing). I was willing to give up financial aid because I probably wouldn't have been offered much, but what I did do was give myself 2 chances at an interview.

It's my opinion that at my state school (Kansas), if you are granted an EDP interview, then the committee has all but approved your academic standing. I believe the generally only invite those that pass muster academically - then they just want to meet / talk to the applicants and see if they'll fit in. I beleive that over 90% of INTWEVIEWED EDP applicants are accepted to the program.

Worked for me, but if you're super competitive and sure you'll get in somewhere - then I'd give it some additional consideration.

Also remember that EDP may work differently elsewhere... as usual.

Good luck, whatever!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pete.:
• Remember, if you are super competitive then you risk losing better financial aid packages by applying (and being accepted) EDP. Once you're accepted, you MUST attend that school or wait to re-apply next year. Because of this, the school doesn't have to compete for you by offering any free money. •••••When I applied EDP, this was something I unfortunately did not anticipate. However, I am very happy to say that there are exceptions, as I was recently awarded a scholarship.

I talked to my pre-med advisor about applying to Cornell EDP. He pulled out some top secret book only pre-med advisors and other bigshots get, and said that 15 apply usually and 2 usually get in. They are not required to take any, however, and will only admit those EDP with above average stats and stuff. Given my stats at the time (3.5gpa and still waiting for mcat scores), we decided not to apply EDP there or anywhere else. I imagine its the same at most of the top schools, if thats where youre looking. I suggest not applying EDP anywhere where you dont easily exceed the average gpa and mcat scores.

Thanks for all the help. I was thinking about the EDP at University of Chicago. But now I'm rethinking it. My MCATS are all right (34) and my GPA is good (4.0). But I'm not sure that I'm "stellar." Anyways, thinking time for me.

I dont know. Those are good stats. You could always run the idea past the school and see what they tell you your chances are.

stellar should mean stellar extracurriculars....not just numbers.

I strongly looked into applying EDP last year, also at U of Chicago. My reasons for wanting to apply EDP were a little different. I felt that I was a very good match for the school and had great EC's to offer, but was defintely NOT a stellar applicant (31, 3.8 @ U of South Florida) so I decided to take the traditional route. Got interviewed in Oct. and was waitlisted and recently placed on the contracted 'alternate' list.

One option I have been muddling with is asking them just how good my chances are for acceptance this year and if I could secure a chance for the coming year's class by doing EDP.
BTW, I'm also waitlisted at Pitt (I'd love to attend there, too) and Georgetown (not as great as the first two for me, but a great school nonetheless).

good luck to all of you applicants :)

if u want to apply EDP, defintely speak to Eric Lombard or Sylvia Robertson. They are honest individuals who should give u a good assesment of your chances.

Thanks for all the help guys! I just talked to Sylvia and I have an appointment for tomorrow. So we will see then. :) :) :)

Keep in mind early decision prevents you from applying early to all other med schools. So, if you don't get accepted ED then you may have significantly decreased your chances for being accepted at all. This actually happened to a friend of mine 2 years ago. She finally got in, but she had to wait an additional year. Also, schools are not obligated to accept ANYONE early decision. Some schools, eventhough an early decision program exists, haven't accepted students early decision in years. I would advise against anyone, regardless of stats, who wanted to apply early decision.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by FoxyDoc:
• I would advise against anyone, regardless of stats, who wanted to apply early decision.•••••and in your final sentence, you became irrational.. advise against ANYONE? c'mon, man. So basically you say that the entire EDP shouldn't exist, since no one should do it?
I realize (at least I hope) this was not your intention, just showing how a bias can shine through.
keptium- let us know what happened, man! (woman!) :wink: